Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HUNGRY after 1st fill

Hi, I'm Lyssa and I was banded on December 16, 2010. To date I have lost about 15 pounds. Today was my first fill and I am finding that the return to an all-liquid diet has left me absolutely starving! Since this morning I have had broth, Protein Water and two Protein shakes and my stomach is still cramped and I feel hungry, hungry, hungry. They put in 1.5cc so I thought I would be LESS hungry....not so far. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Lyssa

Lyssa - Don't feel bad - I was banded on November 30th. I was 217 on surgery day - I went back to the dr on December 14th I was 214. I had my first fill Jan 3rd and have not lost a pound - the dr put in 1.5cc in my band too - I am so frustrated. It has been two weeks since my fill and I dont go back until feb 4th. This sucks!!!

I had my first 2.5cc fill (10c band) on Jan 13 and yes, being on the liquids made me hungrier than ever too, but it is settling down a bit more. I am making sure that I get my Protein in first, then a good amount of veggies second. After about 20-30 minutes, I drink Water and the full feeling arrives and lasts a few hours. I'm still learning this way and some days are trial and error. I find myself going back to my original instructions from the nutritionist about what to eat and how much, and it helps. Protein is the first priority. Be patient with yourself and get past the liquid phase and hopefully, you'll be on the road to a fuller feeling soon. Just make sure you're eating and doing the right things. I'm always being told not to be so hard on myself.

Check back in a couple of days and let us know how things are going with you, okay? We're in this together.

I was banded on July 21, 2010. My surgeon didn't give me my first fill until August 28th. At that time, I was given 3cc's. I could tell that something was different when I ate, but had VERY little restriction. I could still eat a nice sized plate of food if I was hungry. My starting weight was 240 lbs. (I am 5'1"). I got another fill in September (1cc), another in October (1.5cc's), and another in November (.5cc). Between my first fill and my November fill, I went from 240lbs., to 220 lbs. Over the holidays, I yo-yo'd 5lbs. So, I went back to my surgeon on January 10th, 2011, and although I was down from my previous 220lbs. to 215lbs., I was very upset that I was still able to eat pretty regular portions. Although I could no longer eat seconds, I still wasn't feeling the restriction and satiety that I was looking for. I was given another 1cc, which now has me up to 7cc's (I have a 10cc band). I think I have FINALLY hit my "sweet spot"! I have lost 6 lbs. since last Mondays appointment (down to 209 lbs. - yeaaahhh!) I am now eating about 1 - 1 1/2 c. of food per meal. I do eat 2-3 small high Protein Snacks per day. My surgeon and dietician don't require their patients to go on a liquid diet after fills. They don't believe in liquid diets at all. I was eating soft (mushy) foods 2 days post-op, and eating a full diet by day 5 post-op and have had NO problems whatsoever. I have been given no "off limit" foods, but of course, have to use common sense if I want to lose weight and make sure I get enough nutrients. I either have a cup of oatmeal or Cream of Wheat or a scrambled egg and two pieces of turkey bacon for Breakfast (with coffee - gotta have it), a salad or a small portion (about 1 1/2 c) of whatever was for dinner the night before for lunch, and then I have a balanced dinner (on a salad plate) with my Snacks in between. snack are usually, yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese slices with apple or pear slices, nuts,or hummus with celery or pita chips. I also take a chewable Multivitamin every evening and 2 Tbsp. of liquid Calcium with Vitamin D (1 Tbsp. twice daily).

I, too, have felt the frustration of hunger after the first initial fills. Trust me, you will get to your "sweet spot" and you will know when you're there and it'll feel sooo good. Be patient, communicate with your surgeon and dietician, and make sure you're getting plenty of Protein and an adequate amount of Fiber. Sometimes it takes several fills before you get to the point where you're satisfied after a few bites.

Also remember that it is very, very important to chew, chew, chew very good. Often times, banded patients say "I can't eat this" or "I can't eat that" when more times than not, they had a hard time getting certain foods down due to heavier, chewier, or drier textures because they just didn't chew, chew, chew (or took too big of a bite). I'm not only a patient, but I'm also a nurse.

I wish you the best of luck and MUCH SUCCESS. You WILL get there. It takes time. We didn't get the way we are overnight. It was a long process for us to become overweight and out of shape. It takes time and effort to reverse some of the damage we've done to ourselves. It IS possible. The band is the tool we needed to help us with our unhealthy eating habits. Again, good luck!

Hi, I'm Lyssa and I was banded on December 16, 2010. To date I have lost about 15 pounds. Today was my first fill and I am finding that the return to an all-liquid diet has left me absolutely starving! Since this morning I have had broth, Protein Water and two Protein shakes and my stomach is still cramped and I feel hungry, hungry, hungry. They put in 1.5cc so I thought I would be LESS hungry....not so far. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Lyssa

Hi, I had my first fill yesterday, too. My surgeon allows for pudding and yogurt during the first 48 hours (in addition to the full liquids), which actually has really helped my hunger. The yogurt can't have any fruit bits in it, but having something a little bit more solid helps. Check your allowed foods list and see if you can incorporate these.

I soooo can't wait to start on solids! :)

I understand that you all are hungry but I want to know why you dont think you will be hungry? Im not being smart about it either I just want to know why everyone thinks they wont ever be hungry. Your body even with a full band will get hungry because that is what your stomach is meant to do. You may eat less and stay full longer but you will get hungry. I dont understand it. Maybe you all can help me understand it. If your surgeon gave you the correct information you would know that you are going to be hungry. The band does not stop hunger it only keeps you fuller longer once you reach your right fill amount your hunger will be there just not as much. Unfortunately you have to be on liquids after a fill to rest your stomach so you are going to be hungry.

Thanks!

Lyssa

I'm sorry you're having difficulty, it must be rough. How long does your doctor have you on liquids after a fill? I hope not too long.

My doc's post-fill protocol is liquids day of fill, soft foods that evening and back to solids the next day as tolerated. IF anything causes problems to back down and proceed again, but slower.

Maybe you could call your bariatric professionals tomorrow and get permission to progress a little faster. Best of luck to you.

And yes, it's not uncommon to not have appetite suppression after the first fill. Sometimes it can even take up to the 4th fill. Everyone is different. Hang in there.

Thanks!

Lyssa

I had my surgery on 12/21, I had a fill this past Monday. I was on liquids on Tuesday and I WAS SOOOOO HUNGRY all day! I have experienced the same as you. I am allowed to easy mushy food today. Thank goodness because I couldn't do another day of liquids, the hunger was really really hard but it was only one day. I have to think about it that way because I am probably going to get more fills in the future and I don't want to dread getting a fill because of the extreme hunger the following day....

Good luck!

Thanks!

Lyssa

I had my first fill Jan 10th and was back to scrambled eggs by Wed even though Dr said wait 5-7 days.

I have not had any problems with foods to this point.

I have discussed with my Dr and as long as it is soft and small can eat as tollerated.

The concern is that we have not yet learned how to chew completely so chunks don't get swallowed.

Trying to stay on track but facing challenges.

I understand that you all are hungry but I want to know why you dont think you will be hungry? Im not being smart about it either I just want to know why everyone thinks they wont ever be hungry. Your body even with a full band will get hungry because that is what your stomach is meant to do. You may eat less and stay full longer but you will get hungry. I dont understand it. Maybe you all can help me understand it. If your surgeon gave you the correct information you would know that you are going to be hungry. The band does not stop hunger it only keeps you fuller longer once you reach your right fill amount your hunger will be there just not as much. Unfortunately you have to be on liquids after a fill to rest your stomach so you are going to be hungry.

I expected to be hungry, that is a given. I didn't expect, after being filled, to be ravenous CONSTANTLY. The day they did my fill and into the next day I was had hunger pains that took my breath away and I felt nauseous from not eating. THAT is what I didn't expect! Luckily that subsided into the second day of fluids.

I had my surgery on 12/21, I had a fill this past Monday. I was on liquids on Tuesday and I WAS SOOOOO HUNGRY all day! I have experienced the same as you. I am allowed to easy mushy food today. Thank goodness because I couldn't do another day of liquids, the hunger was really really hard but it was only one day. I have to think about it that way because I am probably going to get more fills in the future and I don't want to dread getting a fill because of the extreme hunger the following day....

Good luck!

AMEN

AMEN

Lyssa1972,

You mentioned that you had a fill on Jan 17 and seemed to be struggling, well how are things going now, has the fill made a difference for you? Are you eating properly and is it better for you yet?

JaGo

I have 7.7 in my 14 cc band. I notice my weight stays pretty much the same when I consume a lot of empy calories. When I cut those out I begin losing again. I haven't had a fill in a few months, but I want to go in to get one, because I still feel like I'm eating too much at a time. Good Luck

Hi Everyone,

Just had surgery 1/14/11 doing great but starting to get hungry. Did any of you get your first fill at your post surgery appt? If you could let me know I would appreciate it. Thanks Lori :D