Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your out of pocket for your banding?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What was your out of pocket for your banding?

• Medicare paid for the lot
    • $0 - $1,000
    • $1,001 - $3,000
    • $3,001 +

Out of pocket first visit $100 for the nurse. Then first visit Dr.$180. 2nd visit Dr. $73. Out of pocket for Dr fee $4500. $1250 anaethisist fee not sure how much I will get back from health fund. $200 excess for hospital. Still waiting on other bills for assistant etc. Once I get all bills and hand in to my health insurance I will be able to give you a better idea of out of pocket expenses. Wesley Hospital Brisbane Surgeon Dr. Blair Bowden

The $4,500 for Dr Bowden is out of pocket AFTER insurance is taken into account. In fact, most of those prices you quoted are. That's why I've decided not to go with Dr Bowden, he's a great doc, but I just can't afford the $10,500 after insurance and medicare.

Hi,

As far as I am led to believe Iwill be about $6500 out of pocket expenses. Although I don't think that includes the refills as I know that he charges approx $73 consultation and $10 for disposal of the needles, if there is any other charges I will you posted. I am extremely happy that I went with Dr. Bowden as you know I went into surgery on the 17th March and as from Thursday 1pm I feel absoloutley fantastic except for a slight pain round the band where they pushed the muscle back. I can drink my Soups and everything no problem at all. I have moved all the outer bandages are off and they look as though they are healing fantastic. The worst thing about this surgery was the night in hospital and the wind for a couple of days. A must to buy for your medicine cabinet is any degass tablets and cups of cold mint tea a god send.

I paid $16,000.00. After the first year, it was $100.00 per visit--Usually for a fill. I only had one fill. The first year I did really well and didn't need a fill....it was in the 2nd year I got the fill --I had a heck of a time...and had to get an unfill 30 days later.....Never went back

Dawn in AZ

hi all

I have been told you can claim back some $ back from the taxman I will look into this and let you know or have you claimed this back please let us all know

Yep you can claim medical expenses over $1500 in your tax. I did it last financial year when I had my eyes lasered.

hi all

I have been told you can claim back some $ back from the taxman I will look into this and let you know or have you claimed this back please let us all know

Yes you can Scott, although from memory you only get a % of the total over $1500.

Yep, I claimed it back. You get 20% back of anything over $5000 and that is any medical expenses in the year (including perscriptions and the part of Drs bills not covered by medicare). I ended up getting close to $1200 back, from memory.

I claimed it all. As long as I had the proof, my CPA was happy. Dawn in AZ:thumbup:

Dawn, I take it you are in Arizona? Is this the American tax system you are talking about? In Australia you can't claim the whole amount. Well, you can but you won't get the whole amount back.

I really do not know if all was allowed. That is why I have a CPA. I give him lists of medical proceedures/items/milage...etc Everything I have documentation on-- He takes it from there. He has been our CPA for 20 yrs.

How interesting about your medical deductions.

Dawn who just discovered her weight loss has been hindered by processed flour of any kind...no longer in my menues...not even crackers. Boy do I feel better.

This is great news to me - I had no idea I could claim any portion on my tax. I assume you need to present copies of all the accounts? I will need to go back and try and get copies of my accounts I didn't keep. I think all up I have spent around $7,500 on my surgery to date.

up to now $7200 all up does not include fills

still to take in my bills in to my health fund

I will let you know what I get back

and then off to the tax man

I will keep all my bills for my fills and hand them in as well

1st fill was with Dr. Bowden $136, still to go to the Dr at Loganholme Hyperdome. Will let you know how much they charge.

how much is a fill ?

where to get a fill loganhome Brisbane

Hi

I was banded on the 17- 3 - 08 by Dr Blair Bowden at the Wesley in Brisbane.

I went to see him on the 1st of March and I was lucky enough that I got a cancelation.

I would definetly recommened him.

I have not exercised due to having a heel spur and I am still losing weight.

If you need to know more information just ask and remember keep all receipts for the tax man.