Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your out of pocket for your banding?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What was your out of pocket for your banding?

• Medicare paid for the lot
    • $0 - $1,000
    • $1,001 - $3,000
    • $3,001 +

I have private health and was going for a Melbourne surgeon who would cost me $3500 out of pocket. I was guided to my wonderful surgeon in Darwin, whom is closer to me anyway, and paid a total of $900. Totally happy! A fill costs me $80 and I think I get 36 back on medicare, a check up costs me 50 and I get 17 back I think.

hi there i think i will be posted to darwin soon as hubbys in the army not sure yet though , was wondering who u went through in darwin , and also im with mbf do they cover alot, and lol if i was to pay cash up front would medicare give me anything back , thanks see ya

I only paid $110 for intial consultation and all after care and surgery and literally EVERYTHING (except blood tests made pre surgery) were covered by medicare. And because I had it done in a regional hospital my wait was about 4 months from seeing the surgeon.

Hi everyone, I'm so glad that i have found this site. I'm 20 and just started with my full time job:clap2:. I have NO Health Insurance and I don't want to wait 12months for it to kick in if I join. Medicare I heard can take up to a million years or whatever lol:), so I'm not going to wait on that too. I really need this surgery. My Dad is prepared to pay the price without health insurance and any help from medicare (if there is any) lol:) is great. So I'm looking for the lowest price I can get, I know its not a low price lol:), but the lowest price I don't want Dad spending so much (I'm trying to cut the cost down). I live in Sydney and I'm am willing to fly anywhere in Australia. Please help:help:, anyone paid in full without Health Insurance? where? and how much? Thanks all.

Hey all,

My surgery is costing just over $9000 out of pocket. I have no private health insurance and I am having it done in a public hospital as a private patient. I know its a lot of money but I think its a small price to pay. I withdrew the money from my super to pay for it. I can thoroughly recommend this - there's a bit of a hassle involved, but it means you can get it done even if you don't have the cash laying around!

Josh.

haven't got the bill, but ins co website says i'm responsible for $4oo of the 52k they billed. i had an out of pocket max of about $900 when i had surgery(5th surgery in 2007)

I am having my band done in Feb at St Andrews in Ipswich. Self pay using super $16500 inc dietician, anesthatist etc. I also got prices from Wesley weight loss and they where very similar. My view is that I am going to be cut open I want the best. I am using Dr John Copp he bulk bills fills and you pay for 10 dietician appointments up front to make sure you go. If you get to a state where you need a band your super is moot cause chances are you want be around at sixty to get it. I know I wouldn't be anyway.

I was in icu for 8 days and then had to have a revision two weeks later because of a crack in the band tube. My portion of the bill is around 1400.00.

I have private health insurance, hence my hospital bill was fully covered.

I was about $3000 out of pocket for the surgeon and

$700 out of pocket for the anaesthetist

Have to pay for consults with Surgeon - $120 initial - got $90 back from medicare

Subsequent consults - $50, get $35 back from medicare

Fills - $125, get $108 back from medicare

Hi Guys,

My surgery will be around $11000. I have no private health insurance and didn't want to wait 12 months. NSW does not do op in public hospital :angry. I can't believe that a 1 night stay in a private hospital is over $3000, especally when there is no food involved!:faint:

However, I also dipped into my super fund as I thought it is better spent when I am alive. Anyway it will be money well spent when I see the results.:clap2:

W8iml8

weight.png

Adelaide - Dr Paul Anderson

Hiya,

Just joined but I was banded in May 2005 by Dr Paul Anderson in Adelaide. I have full private health cover and paid $1800 for everything (including him, his assistant, aneasthetist [sp?], and all post op appointments).

Love this site btw...

Christie

My out of pocket expenses total $3500 for everything including fills and all follow up visits. I pay that directly to the doctor before the surgery. All otehr expenses I will not see, they get directly billed to either Medicare or Medibank.

I was pleased with that!

Hi, I am due to pay for mine 15,377.00 which I am self paying for. I am having the op done thru Sios in Sydney - Dr Taylor will slice and dice.

This covers everything including fills for ever, and 8 dietitian appointments,

I am due to be banded 19th feb 2008 - Bring it On I say! I can't wait..