Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant and banded weight gain???

Any of you out there who have gone through a pregnancy while banded, I'm curious as to how much weight you gained during the pregnancy and if you were able to take it off post partum. I am only 13 weeks along, and haven't gained anything. It is very difficult on my psychologically not losing weight at this point, even though this is definately not the time for weightloss! I continue to monitor the scale, in a slightly less obsessive manner than pre-pregnancy. I understand that I'm going to gain weight, or at least just stop losing, either of which my OB/GYN is fine with, but I had no idea it would mess with me mentally. I find myself physically hungry pretty much all the time, thanks in part to the pregnancy and to the slight unfill (food doesn't stay in the band as long) I had as a precautionary measure related to the pregnancy.

It's very bizzare after 9 months of being satisfied by Protein Shakes for Breakfast and only a few small meals a day to now having my stomach growling the minute I wake up, and even sometimes waking me up! Obviously I am eating more now-hence the stop in weight loss (which is pregnancy appropriate), however I worry that I am eating too much, and struggling with the thoughts of seeing 240 or 250 or more on the scale again.

It sounds like you got pregnant pretty soon after banding. I'm guessing the whole thing is making you mental because you're still getting used to being banded and now here's another challenge for you. Maybe that's why I keep reading the advice not to get pregnant for a year or more after banding - maybe it's to help you wrap your brain around the whole thing! All I know is:

1. This will continue to make you crazy. :cross-eye But that's normal.

2. You will do what's best for your baby. I don't even know you and I can tell that. You won't starve yourself and the band will prevent an old-school binge.

3. I hear that breast feeding takes the weight off real quick! :laugh

Hi there! First off, congratulations on your pregnancy.

I am TTC #2 as of this year (We are fighting both PCOS and male factor infertility, so this could take a while lol)

When I told my dr what I was planning, he was estatic for me. He told me that of his 20 or so band babies, all the Mum's had either;

*Not gained a whole lot (like 5 or 10lbs that they lost within a month)

*Not gained anything

*Lost weight while pregnant (apparently on lady lost 30lbs during her pregnancy)

I have no BTDT advice, sorry, but I am here as an ear if you need one. And I do look forward to reading your post regarding you band baby pregnancy!

Good luck!

I gained about 30 pounds. It took me about 6 months to lose but I waited about 4 months to get a fill that I needed.

Congratulations! You seem to be watching what you eating, just knowing what your consuming is a great advantage. Not that I was pregnant banded but I know I had a big difference between carring a boy and a girl and how much I ate. With my son I ate for 5, endless eating.

It's baby time!!!

So Happy for you, good luck

I still say (he's) due on 7-11-06

I know its hard but don't worry about the weight, just concentrate on having a healthy baby. Eat as healthy and as much as your body requires, it will let you know. After you deliver you can get fill and the weight will come off again, its only a few months.

Congratulations on the little blessing ;D ENJOY !!!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

I gained 60 pounds while pregnant. Yep. Thats right. My fill was entirely removed early due to hyperemesis, and I ate like a pig.:confused: Krispy Kremes were my friend. I drank boat load of Orange juice.

Don't make the same mistake I did! I went crazy because I had been banded over 2 years at that point and I just wanted to taste everything. pizza, cheesesteaks, you name it, I thought pregnancy was a license to gorge.

Don't do that and you'll be fine!:)

Rachel what about morning sickness... did you want to throw up and did it hurt?

Yes, I did throw up and yes, it did hurt... As soon as that started, my doc unfilled me asap (fit me in) and gave me a script for Phenergen (sp?) for it. I still got sick just from smells or brushing my teeth...:confused: I wouldn't change it for the world though. My daughter is almost 9 months old and she is my world.

Thanks ... that will be helpful to know

I am 25 weeks pregnant and have only gained 10 pounds, I also had a partial unfill back in September from 2.2 cc to 1.2 cc and I can eat but at times I eat something that reminds me my band is still their. With my first I gained 50 pounds so my band has done wonders!! I would'nt change it for the world and I will be getting a fill as soon as I can after I deliver.

Esmeralda

EDD 04/17/06

Hi Corinne. I was banded on February 28, 2005 and became pregnant in June. I am now in the final countdown and have 8 1/2 weeks to go before our new arrival. I had my band loosened and tightened a few times during the beginning because I did not want to gain a lot of weight during this pregnancy as I did during the last. I had gotten down to 218 when I found I was pregnant. However, I kept losing and was not able to eat anything at one point so I had to go in for an unfill. I had reached 202 before I started gaining again. I am now up to about 240 and yes it is a little depressing. However - a lot of the weight is baby and Water, Water, water! I tend to swell a lot. I am not really worried about the weight coming off after the baby. I know that I can get tightened if I need to and that's what's so nice about the band. I will confess I do have a problem with the prenatal Vitamins and have not been taking them because I'm afraid they'll get stuck. Instead I've been drinking those "Healthy Mom" shakes every so often. They're made by Ensure. Good luck with your pregnancy!

Jeanette