Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Since I was banded back in September, I have noticed that I am losing a great deal of hair. It is not noticable to anyone else because it was so thick to being with, but everyday when I shower and then when I brush it out, there is MASSIVE amounts of hair coming out. Also, there is more of my hair in the lint trap in the dryer than my critters!

So, question one, is this normal?

Question two, Biotin? Vitamin E? Some other supplement or magical cure that helps?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

Since I was banded back in September, I have noticed that I am losing a great deal of hair. It is not noticable to anyone else because it was so thick to being with, but everyday when I shower and then when I brush it out, there is MASSIVE amounts of hair coming out. Also, there is more of my hair in the lint trap in the dryer than my critters!

Question two, Biotin? Vitamin E? Some other supplement or magical cure that helps?

I have noticed the same with mine. and same situation, nobody else notices b/c my hair is super thick to begin with. maybe its our body chemistry changing from the weight loss?? im not sure but thought I would let you know that your not alone.

I haven't been banded yet, so this isn't from experience, but judging from other similar topics - everyone has said use Niacin. I think they said that helped and it only lasted a few months. Good luck!

I've seen on other threads that unfortunately this is normal; something about the drastic weight loss messing with you hormones. Biotin IS supposed to be good for hair, but I don't know what works until your hormones normalize themselves. I hope I don't have this problem, but if so I'll be sure to commiserate. :P

My surgeon told me to make sure I eat enough Protein...60gms. So far I have not had hair loss banded 10-21-2010). Are you getting enough Protein?

I am 6 months out and very near goal so I have had fast weight loss. I have also lost a TON of hair. It used to be very thick but not anymore. I have to wrap a rubber band around my hair more times now. I take Biotin and get in my Protein, but I think it just has to run its course.

My hair fell out a lot! It's pretty thin now and since I had pretty thick hair, it is definitely a change, but it's slowing down finally now that I'm close to goal and I know it'lI grow back in time.

I think it's all part of anesthesia/weight-loss itself. I've eaten 100g+ of Protein a day and my hair still fell out. I don't think you can do much to avoid it. Taking Biotin and folic acid may help, but usually not because your hairloss isn't due to a lack of those Vitamins. Some people lose hair, some don't. Just remember it will stop, you won't go bald. Try to find a good Shampoo and avoid high/tight ponytails.

I was banded August 4th and about 1 month ago, I started losing massive amounts of hair as well. I have lost weight very quickly and I continue to lose about a pound a week. I just want to know that the hair will grow back. I know I went through a period right after I started eating that I had a lot of trouble getting in all the Protein I needed because I just couldn't consume that much food or liquids. I have just gotten to where I can eat what I need. My rheumatologist tells me that there is a delayed reaction to changes in your body like drastic weight loss and that the Hair loss now is probably steming from what was happening several months ago. He says the hair will grow back and I have noticed some regrowth even as I continue to lose a lot of hair. It is getting pretty thin. Better bald than fat? I don't think so actually but I am very happy with the weight loss and I would do it all again. I am down 59 pounds without a single fill and I am still losing.

Debra

I was banded August 4th and about 1 month ago, I started losing massive amounts of hair as well. I have lost weight very quickly and I continue to lose about a pound a week. I just want to know that the hair will grow back. I know I went through a period right after I started eating that I had a lot of trouble getting in all the Protein I needed because I just couldn't consume that much food or liquids. I have just gotten to where I can eat what I need. My rheumatologist tells me that there is a delayed reaction to changes in your body like drastic weight loss and that the Hair loss now is probably steming from what was happening several months ago. He says the hair will grow back and I have noticed some regrowth even as I continue to lose a lot of hair. It is getting pretty thin. Better bald than fat? I don't think so actually but I am very happy with the weight loss and I would do it all again. I am down 59 pounds without a single fill and I am still losing.

Debra

I was thrilled to see that someone else has lost a great amount of weight with no fills like me. I lost all 90 pds with no fills, I was banded 12/20/08 and I am still losing hair, it has gotten so thin that I have nightmares sometimes that I will go bald, but I guess it is better thin and bald then fat and bald. I was losing hair before the surgery and it has not stopped. Maybe I might look into a nice wig that doesn't look so phony or too thick to believe that it belongs on my head. Any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated.

I was losing hair like crazy when I first got banded last Sept.. I started using 5000mg of Biotin a day and it drastically reduced the problem.. I hope this helps!!! Good luck!:D

I'm experiencing the same thing (banded 7/29/2010)

I talked to my surgeon about it yesterday during my fill appt, he's sending me in for labs to check all my levels, I'm pretty sure everything there is okay and I'm getting about 80 grams of Protein a day. He told my I could start taking a Silica supplement. I haven't started it yet or even bought it. I take Bariatric Advantage Multivitamins and it has about 300 mg of Biotin in it.

I've tried the Nioxin Shampoo and I HATE it, it makes my hair feel dried out and like straw. So, I've given up on that. I will, however, be trying the Silica within the next few weeks.

I was banded June 3 and did have some pretty significant hair loss for most of the summer. i take optisource Post Bariatrtic Multi which has 300 mg of Biotin plus I take TWO more 5000 mg each Biotins and a D3 everyday. I shoot for 50 grams of Protein a day. The Hair loss has pretty much stopped. I also dyed it a darker color to give it some thickness and switched shampoos around for some dry hair restorative Pantene. My hair looks great these days and I am not changing anything I am taking in fear of losing it again!

I am also a fairly fast loser, 60+ pounds down so maybe the fast loss has something to do with it too? Who knows.

This is the one thing that really scares me, I am only 3 weeks post op so no loss yet. My hair is very thin

to begin with, I don't need to lose any more! Does the hair grow back? I am taking Biotin but told that is

no guarantee I won't lose hair.

I have been in a major panic about this the past 4 weeks. I was also lucky to have very thick hair to begin with, but in the past month I have lost about half of the amount of hair I had. It is so difficult not to stress about it, which probably doesn't help any. I was banded on 9/20/10 and didn't see the massive Hair loss until around Thanksgiving....and it hasn't stopped. I even chopped my hair in an effort to not have it be as noticeable as it continues to fall out and hopefully grows back in. I also average 70-90 grams of Protein a day, take a pre-natal Vitamin, and just this week started taking an extra vitamin for hair and using Nioxin Shampoo. I am willing to try anything. I can handle lose skin, saggy body parts, and social challenges but being close to bald???? No, I am not prepared for that.:o

Any time you lose a lot of weight fast you lose your hair. A few years ago I dropped 50 lbs in 3 months and went to the doctor with half the hair i should have had in a bag instead of on my head. I was freaking out but he told me it happens with fast weight loss.

Increase your Protein, slow your weight loss and you should be ok. I didn't lose a lot of my hair as fast this time around losing weight because it took me longer to lose the weight.