Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long after surgery did you start eating the following:

Cream Soup (cream of chicken, cream of muchroom, cream of broccoli, etc)

Apple Sauce

Jar baby food

Mushed up tuna with mayo/yogurt

Mushed up chicken

I am only 5 days post op but I have been drinking Soup already. I feel very hungry and the Protein shakes don't help. I put cream soup in the blender to make sure everything is creamed properly. I even added a bit of chicken to the soup and blended to add Protein. Am I doing this too soon?

This is really a question for your doctor. What are his post op instructions? Whatever they are, you should just follow them.

I never was really eating cream Soups post op (maybe once or twice) but according to my poSt op plan, cream Soups (without solids, just the soup) would've been allowed after 4-5 days (which is when I moved to full liquids). I was eating tuna with mayo probably close to the end of my mushy phase which was around 4 weeks post op. I don't eat chicken but I would imagine if I did, it would've also been during the second half of mushies.

What did your doctor tell you regarding the foods? I started my full liquids on day 3 post op that continued for 5 weeks. I couldn't have the tuna, or chicken until Week 6 (unless it was purreed). Never could bring myself to eat baby food nor could I do pureed food. While on full liquids I had 3 Protein Shakes per day and maybe some applesauce, Jello, Soup (thinned - well blended) during the day if I felt hungry. My "full liquid" diet got old really fast.

This is one for your doctor to address. Mine has his patients begin with pureed Proteins three days after surgery. So, pureed chicken would have been "legal" at that point, as would tuna whizzed in the Magic Bullet with a little mayo or yogurt. My diet was gradually advanced from pureed Protein ---> soft, moist proteins ---> solid proteins ----> solid proteins + nonstarchy veggies ----> solid proteins + nonstarchy veggies + fruit. And that's it, during the ongoing weight loss phase. (Starches can be gradually reintroduced once 75% of excess weight is lost; I have chosen not to do this because my rate of loss has slowed and, besides, I don't really have room for them. I figure I'll have plenty of time for them once I am in maintenance mode.)

It seems like every doctor is different. I was eating mushy foods (light yogurt, fat-free refried Beans, cottage cheese, sf popsicles, etc) beginning on day 5. Check with your doctor and see what they say. I don't think I could have handled not having anything for much longer than that.

I am 10 days post op and for another week or so I am on a slip off the spoon diet, no lumps, bumps or chunks. So I have a couple tablespoons of malt o meal, yogurt, sugar free Jello, or broth once a day. I drink a lot of Water and one bottle of crystal light a day also. I only eat those couple tablespoons because I worry about only taking in less than 100 calories per day. I have no hunger pains at all, and my doctor said I probably won't for the first 3 weeks or so. Even without hunger pains I find that I want to eat out of habit, but I have recognized that it isn't hunger, it's habit. Good luck!

Cream Soup (cream of chicken, cream of muchroom, cream of broccoli, etc)

Apple Sauce

Jar baby food

Mushed up tuna with mayo/yogurt

Mushed up chicken

I am only 5 days post op but I have been drinking soup already. I feel very hungry and the Protein shakes don't help. I put cream soup in the blender to make sure everything is creamed properly. I even added a bit of chicken to the soup and blended to add Protein. Am I doing this too soon?