Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fatique/sugar drops

I am not diabetic but I have always been a person that knows I need food because I get weak and feel dizzy. I get woozy as my friend describes it. I will start yawning and dozing off wherever I am.

I am finding that since the banding I am borderline Woozy most of the day. Do you guys think this is just an adjustment due to the lack of Carbohydrates?

When I get super tired I would have a small piece of fruit if I was home or a very small carb just to bounce the sugars back. I was never diagnosed hypoglycemic so I don't think it is a true hypogycemia but I think it is my bodies way of saying, "Woah eat something." I have been really good about spreading out my Protein for the most part, except for today.

Has anyone else experienced this after banding? I am 7 days out now, still occassionally get gas and this fatique thing is beating me up.

I have also had low blood suger issues in the past. This is usually when I get to the really "irrational" hunger point. Where I need to eat someting right now (usually if it's been 7-8 hours since I last ate). Trying to plan out my meals so that I eat at regular intervals has helped me to control this. Since the surgery I've had a couple times when I went way to long without eating (usually because I've gone to the gym so there is a huge gap between lunch and dinner); and I stopped to buy a piece of fruit on the way home.

I have not been banded yet, but I can tell you that I also get dizzy and light headed if I haven't eaten. Usually it happens if I have sugar (like mocha coffee) and then not eat for a long time after. My family doctor said that there is two types of diabetes..hypoglycemic and hyperglycemic. He said I'm border line hypo and will be full blown if I don't get this weight off. I told the doctor who will be doing my banding that this is a concern of mine...not being able to eat enough if I start to feel dizzy etc...and he said he hears that all the time and isn't concerned. Do YOU feel like it goes away by only eating the little bit the band will let you? Do you have any regrets? I'm so worried about getting one. Take care and write back when you have time.

As someone who was hypoglycemic from around puberty up until sometime in the last 6 years when it progressed to hyperglycemia, I would take these hypoglycemic incidents as a warning from your body. Many people go long hours between meals without hypoglycemic incidents. Sure they're hungry, but they don't get the blood sugar swing. If you do, then pay attention because it means your body is warning you of a potential problem.

40 years ago the doctors and nutritionists were still convinced that a diet high in carbs was the answer to all ills. I learned through trial and error to just ignore them. It's how I discovered Atkins (and that it works) back in the early 70's. Some other things I discovered through trial and error...and that now the diabetic experts have finally come around to...

Eat every 3 hours. It helps stabilize the glucose (BG) levels. Mid-morning, mid-afternoon and in the evening, I'll have some type of Protein - a hardboiled egg, 1-2 oz of cheese, 1-2 ounces of chicken/ham, low carb/low cal Protein Drink made with almond milk...something with Protein and minimal carbs (minimal as those found in eggs...not flour products).

Spread your carbs out through the day. Carb loading at one meal will cause the hypoglycemic incidents.

Keep your carbs low. That level varies by individual. When I'm not trying to lose weight, I still can only consume about 45gm of carbs a day. Over that and I start having blood sugar issues. Some people can eat more. You'll just have to log what you eat and pay attention to what gives you problems.

Avoid caffeine. It seriously messes with the BG levels.

Don't skip meals. Not only does it mess with BG levels but you'll have more of a tendency to grab something on the fly that will mess with you even more.

When you are having one of those shaky, dizzy, cold sweat hypoglycemic incidents *do not* reach for candy. It will make you feel better quickly, but it will drop you even further as it works through your system. cheese seems to work the fastest at relieving my symptoms. I found out only decades later from an endocrinologist that it's because the Proteins in the cheese break down more easily than those found in meats, poultry, etc.

Be nice to your endocrine system. I wasn't despite knowing all these things were a solution to my problem so now I get to deal with hyperglycemia.

My family doctor said that there is two types of diabetes..hypoglycemic and hyperglycemic.

Actually, the two types of diabetes are Type I and Type II. Type I is usually diagnosed in children or young adults and occurs when the pancreas doesn't produce enough insulin to control blood sugar levels. Type II is more common and occurs because the pancreas isn't producing enough insulin or the cells are ignoring the insulin (insulin resistance). This is what the vast majority of diabetics have and is mostly caused by the bad habits of our carb/sugar laden, sedentary society.

Hypoglycemia is not the opposite or a different type than hyperglycemia. It is the precursor to hyperglycemia. Abuse the body enough by ignoring it and most likely it will progress to hyperglycemia.

Just wanted to clarify because I've heard people say, with a sigh of relief, that they have hypoglycemia which is so much better than being a diabetic...as if somehow the two are disconnected...and they aren't. :thumbup:

It's true that a bolus of carbohydrate can bump up blood sugar and temporarily increase alertness and energy. HOWEVER, this comes at a cost: blood sugar then plummets, and there is rebound fatigue.

It's more effective to steadily fuel your body with Protein, and more particularly, a decent balance of Protein, heart-healthy-fat, and slow-burn carbohydrate (such as those found in veggies and legumes).

Instead of fruit, then, you might have something like 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt with a scoop of unflavored protein (PURE from bariatriceating.com is great) stirred in, with a tablespoon of sugar-free jam and a sprinkle of almonds. This will sustain you far better than the fruit alone.

As someone who was hypoglycemic from around puberty up until sometime in the last 6 years when it progressed to hyperglycemia, I would take these hypoglycemic incidents as a warning from your body. Many people go long hours between meals without hypoglycemic incidents. Sure they're hungry, but they don't get the blood sugar swing. If you do, then pay attention because it means your body is warning you of a potential problem.

40 years ago the doctors and nutritionists were still convinced that a diet high in carbs was the answer to all ills. I learned through trial and error to just ignore them. It's how I discovered Atkins (and that it works) back in the early 70's. Some other things I discovered through trial and error...and that now the diabetic experts have finally come around to...

Eat every 3 hours. It helps stabilize the glucose (BG) levels. Mid-morning, mid-afternoon and in the evening, I'll have some type of Protein - a hardboiled egg, 1-2 oz of cheese, 1-2 ounces of chicken/ham, low carb/low cal Protein Drink made with almond milk...something with Protein and minimal carbs (minimal as those found in eggs...not flour products).

Spread your carbs out through the day. Carb loading at one meal will cause the hypoglycemic incidents.

Keep your carbs low. That level varies by individual. When I'm not trying to lose weight, I still can only consume about 45gm of carbs a day. Over that and I start having blood sugar issues. Some people can eat more. You'll just have to log what you eat and pay attention to what gives you problems.

Avoid caffeine. It seriously messes with the BG levels.

Don't skip meals. Not only does it mess with BG levels but you'll have more of a tendency to grab something on the fly that will mess with you even more.

When you are having one of those shaky, dizzy, cold sweat hypoglycemic incidents *do not* reach for candy. It will make you feel better quickly, but it will drop you even further as it works through your system. cheese seems to work the fastest at relieving my symptoms. I found out only decades later from an endocrinologist that it's because the Proteins in the cheese break down more easily than those found in meats, poultry, etc.

Be nice to your endocrine system. I wasn't despite knowing all these things were a solution to my problem so now I get to deal with hyperglycemia.

Thanks for the information hon, I have been spacing my Proteins approximately 3 hours apart but between that I am having Water, being on the liquid phase of my diet. I have never been diagnosed hypoglycemic but that is what my doctor suggested I might have a long time ago, more borderline because he would test and nothing would show.

I just hate this fatique and dizzy feeling I am getting and I am trying to eat slowly and frequently. Yesterday was the worst because we were running around. I didn't have enough Water or food.

Thanks for the information again, I appreciate it.

Do you know what your calories are averaging?

I ask because I went on straight liquid Protein for 10 days a year or so ago and discovered that I felt horrible (fatigue and shaky) below 1000 calories, but when I bumped my Protein drinks to get me over that, I felt much better.

Thank you for the info. I did Atkins several years ago and had no blood sugar issues, lost 25 lb and felt great. Fell off the meat wagon and haven't had the motivation to climb back on. I got so tired of hearing everyone tell me how bad it is for me. Now that I'm considering lap band I'm hearing the same thing from family and friends that I confide in. Guess I should just keep my mouth closed, but finding it hard to decide. I went to first doc appt last month and received a call that my insurance wants me to do the 6mon diet and exercise thing. I remember hearing in the seminar I attended that I wouldn't be able to eat meat with banding. After reading what the first person said about being banded and having sugar problems, I was concerned and now feel better knowing can eat cheese, Protein Shakes etc to help with that. As you can see I'm knew to all this and still need to learn and hear about others experiences to help me move on.

I'm at 8cc in a 14cc band and I can eat meat *but* I have to take small bites, chew well and then wait between bites to make sure I don't bottleneck everything up if I do get stuck. You just never know on a day to day basis. I can still eat cheese, although I limit it to 4 oz of hard cheese a day. Can't eat fondue...the gooey cheese just clumps together.

Yeah, despite the minimal acceptance that low carb is a healthy way to eat, the mainstream nutrition industry and most doctors still aren't ready to accept it. I finally found a doctor who, while not really accepting it, won't argue with the results.

Not to hijack this thread. I would'nt say that I lean towards Atkins even though I eat a high Protein diet; because I eat a low fat/cholesterol protein. When I think Atkins I think beef, pork; which I have combined maybe 4 times a year (at Easter or when I eat at my sister's). Basically my point is you can have fish or chicken/turkey based protein and not get the high fat of traditional atkins.

Thank you for the info. I did Atkins several years ago and had no blood sugar issues, lost 25 lb and felt great. Fell off the meat wagon and haven't had the motivation to climb back on. I got so tired of hearing everyone tell me how bad it is for me. Now that I'm considering LAP-BAND® I'm hearing the same thing from family and friends that I confide in. Guess I should just keep my mouth closed, but finding it hard to decide. I went to first doc appt last month and received a call that my insurance wants me to do the 6mon diet and exercise thing. I remember hearing in the seminar I attended that I wouldn't be able to eat meat with banding. After reading what the first person said about being banded and having sugar problems, I was concerned and now feel better knowing can eat cheese, Protein shakes etc to help with that. As you can see I'm knew to all this and still need to learn and hear about others experiences to help me move on.

You certainly can eat meat. The thing is, it has to be high Protein and little bites. So you cut a piece of meat the size of a pea and chew, chew, chew and chew some more. It has to be moist because you can't drink with your meals. So it is an excuse to buy yourself some better cuts of meat, like, umm Prime Rib. ha ha

Not to hijack this thread. I would'nt say that I lean towards Atkins even though I eat a high Protein diet; because I eat a low fat/cholesterol Protein. When I think Atkins I think beef, pork; which I have combined maybe 4 times a year (at Easter or when I eat at my sister's). Basically my point is you can have fish or chicken/turkey based protein and not get the high fat of traditional atkins.

4 oz of prime rib is 22gm of fat and 4 oz of boneless skinless chicken is 12gm of fat and that's the white meat. Dark meat is higher. Did you know that the much maligned pork comes in at only 10gm (less than chicken!) if you eat the loin cut? The only point I'm making is that Atkins is not the high fat diet (or rather does not need to be) that the media has convinced people it is.

Most days my fat grams come in at around 70gm. I limit cheese to 4 oz of hard cheese a day *max*. I don't slather on the fats and I make sure to vary my protein so that I'm getting fish, chicken, pork and red meat and eat reasonable quantities.