Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regret getting rid of smaller clother

About a year ago, I cleaned out my closet and gave GoodWill all of my clothes that were too small for me - some even had tags still on them. I don't regret giving the clothes to a worthy cause, but I sure could use some of those right about now. I has resigned myself to the fact that I would always be large and would never be able to wear them. Now, thank God, I have lost 25 lbs pre-op and so far 15 lbs post op. What did you guys do? Are you having things altered (which is expensive) or are you just buying a couple of smaller outfits to get you through the current size. My clothes were size 24 and I really think I need a 20 now. I'm only 3 weeks post op and this sure is making me feel good but I have nothing to wear, but that's a good thing!:wink2:

i got a part time job at my favorite retail store , and get a 40 % discount. Granted i work fulltime allready , but boy is it fun spending 100 every two weeks on a new nice outfit!!!

I did the same thing but I had a huge family yard sale last year and got rid of a ton of clothes that I kept for years,size 14-16, thinking one day I would get back in them but than finally just accepted the fact that I would never, now I regret it...Im between a size 18-20 right now but still early in my journey. right now iv bought a couple things but trying to hold off as long as i can. I met a girl on here, she lives about 3 hrs from me and we met half way one day right before my surgery and she gave me some of her size 18-20 clothes and Iv been able to wear some of that, other than that I am just wearing baggy clothes until i lose a total of 50lbs than im going shopping!!

congratulations on the smaller clothes!

what i am doing is waiting till I am two sizes out of the current clothes till i get new ones....some shirts i can continue to use. just throw a sweater on and some cute leggings...so im making it work. enjoy shopping!!!

Ugh! I did the same thing! I'm kicking myself for it now. I've been searching on Craigslist and eBay for clothes. I'm also asking around. With my last pay check, I set aside $50 to buy some new clothes. Just get a little bit here and there. Also, make sure you buy a size smaller. They may be tight, but not for long! :wink2:

I too have regretted getting rid of some of my smaller clothes. I did save some of them but realized the other day that I did not have any workout clothes . I now check out the clearance racks for things and buy pants that are about a size smaller because it would just be throwing money way if I buy something that fits perfect for just a couple of weeks.

I walso check out resale, thrift stores, goodwill to find something that is presentable. I am enjoying loosing the weight but never thought that I would have to buy new clothes every six weeks or so. I am just keeping my wardrobe to a min and once the goal weight I am going to go all out.:wink2:

I've been shopping way too much.

I don't really buy anything that fits me perfectly right now though-- it has to fit on my body but be too small. That way, I know I can wear it for a while as I lose. Everything I get is carefully scrutinized-- do I really need this?

The answer is always no, but somehow I'm adding to my wardrobe anyway :thumbup:

OP: I have some 18/20 clothes I'd be happy to send you-- all are in good shape , but I don't have time to take pictures and post them, etc. so you'd have to take it and hope you like some of it. (I have dogs, so though they are clean I can't promise they don't have dog hair).

PM me with your address if you are interested. If you have the money to help with shipping, that would be great but don't sweat it too much if you can't.

Try freecycle.org It's a place where you can give away things you don't need and receive things that you do.

I too waited until probably two wks ago to buy new clothes. I was wearing all my old baggy stuff.

I've been thrift store shopping and have founds tons of really nice stuff for cheap. I haven't bought anything over $5 for a piece of clothing. I've bought things in 2 sizes, 14's and 16's. Some fit and some don't yet, figured I'd have them ready for a few months from now when I lose more.

I've also hit the clearance racks at other stores (just to buy a special dress). I won't buy anything full price, since I know I won't be in it very long.

congratulations on the smaller clothes!

what i am doing is waiting till I am two sizes out of the current clothes till i get new ones....some shirts i can continue to use. just throw a sweater on and some cute leggings...so im making it work. enjoy shopping!!!

Trish - I was banded by Dr McEwen as well. When we leave his office, we head over to the Carmel Goodwill. They have some very nice clothes there. Probably the best Goodwill I've been to.

I had several sizes in my closet- hardly bought anything until I reached goal. Even then, I didn't buy a ton because I plan on having plastic surgery soon. I did give away clothes a friend gave me. I had resigned myself to the fact I would never be that small, boy am I proud to say I was wrong.

Im in a size 24, and gave away all my 20's and 22's. Now my jeans are starting to get loose (like falling down to my butt crack as Im walking down the hall with my hands full) so Ive finally went out and purchased a belt. Ive just been packing up our house (we're moving) so I usually do the whole sweat pants/PJ bottoms since Im not getting out much, but Im looking forward to being able to go out and buy that special dress for my husbands commands xmas party (he's in the navy) then that new interview outfit.

SunRae, I started a little thing called the Sisterhood of the Traveling XL Dress -- I sent away all of my larger clothing sizes, on the condition that the bandsters who received them would pass them on to others when they outgrew the sizes. This has really grown a lot -- surf the bandster blogs, and I'm sure you'll find people willing to send you clothing -- as long as you are up for paying it forward!

Best wishes for your success,

Catherine

Thanks everybody for your responses. I am going to shop some thrift stores and such and see what I can find. I now have 2 pair of jeans, 2 shirts and 1 dress that I can wear. I went into surgery on Oct 19th at a size 24 and I can now wear an 18.

Catherine,

I love that idea! I'm going to start looking now.

My Bariatric Surgery Center holds clothing swaps several times a year.

It is a chance to bring in clothes that do not fit you anymore and go home with some that do or will.

It is a great service.