Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in Mexico

I went to Monterrey after talking to several people that used the surgeon I was looking into. It was very reassuring to actually talk to someone who had been to Monterrey and been banded by the doctor I was considering. I also made sure that my surgeon, Dr. Sanchez, prearranged aftercare for me with a doctor less than an hour from my front door! Like someone else posted above, I had wonderful care and the Santa Engracia hospital is American owned and super clean and state of the art. I have no complaints so far. Just do your reasearch and do what feels comfortable for you.

Guest pumpkinhead

I would also like it if you would pm me and tell me who the Tijuana surgeons are with all the erosions? How many have each of them had? I’m nervous!

I'm really sorry everyone, but I used to post some really nasty things here when I got mad. I don't think it's fair for me to "slam" doctors the way I used to, which is why I'm avoiding listing the surgeons.

Just do searches using the "SEARCH" button at the top. Look for erosion or complications from individual members here since most people post their surgeon. Sorry, but I'm working at being a nicer person :)

I'm really sorry everyone, but I used to post some really nasty things here when I got mad. I don't think it's fair for me to "slam" doctors the way I used to, which is why I'm avoiding listing the surgeons.

Just do searches using the "SEARCH" button at the top. Look for erosion or complications from individual members here since most people post their surgeon. Sorry, but I'm working at being a nicer person :)

Good for you DeLarla! :) Especially after finding out you're now eroded...I am very sorry to hear that & I wish you the best in getting it taken care of.

Bottom line is, there's risk with any surgery and as the Lap-Band procedure is an optional surgery, you have to weigh the risks vs the benefits. Obviously your choice of surgeon is one of the most important decisions you'll make after deciding to have the surgery. For myself, I am extremely happy with the surgeon I chose and he was located in Mexico. Just be careful wherever the locale is - do your research on the surgeon, his/her experience and how many instances of complications they've had vs how may surgeries they've performed. Remember a Dr doing 3000 surgeries may have more complications then a surgeon performing 300 surgeries. Research, research, research! Best wishes~

The follow up and any complications would worry me. Obviously, Mexico was never an option for me since I live in Australia, lol (and we have a great health system by world standards). But there's a similar thing with cosmetic surgery and Thailand/Malaysia here. You can get cosmetic procedures done very cheaply and have a wonderful holiday to boot.

I wouldnt assume that just because it's in Asia or Indonesia that the hospital, doctors or staff would be substandard, but I could never have something like that done without actually meeting the doctor face to face, without him actually seeing me, without us both deciding what procedure would be best and without someone lined up for aftercare. To me if I cant afford it in Australia then I cant afford it.

I may have felt differently about the band though becuase it's less personalised, less complicated than cosmetic surgery but it does require a lot of aftercare, forever. I'd only do it if I had local aftercare arranged.

I, too, was banded in Mexico by Dr. Jose Rodriguez --- but I was not fortunate enough to have had Barbara as my contact person, tho I have come to know her since my surgery. The new "patient coordinator" mis-informed me about many things, lied to me about many things, and was appalling misinformed about living the banded lifestyle. I found out that a lot of this was due to the fact that her self-education consisted mainly of learning about how traditional bypass patients must live and eat.

I have had my first fill, and it took me right to my sweet spot, so my losing schedule has gotten a jump start. I have learned from my time on SmartBandsters at YahooGroups that many US surgeons are timid with fills and can take months to get you anywhere close to good restriction, so I really appreciated Dr. Rod using his "patient feedback" technique of determining proper fill.

One thing which going to Mexico REALLY has going for it, tho (if you are Self-Pay), is if you should have complications of any sort, they won't cost you an arm and a leg. You are put up and treated at doctor expense, save for extra meds and such, if needed.

So that part -incurring extra expense- IS something for you to consider when you don't have insurance or loads of money or credit to pay for extended days of care.

Another consideration is that you should find out EXACTLY how many surgeries the surgeon you are considering has done. Less than 300 tends to mean more complications.

Another consideration is the surgeon's attitude and his staff's attitude towards banded patients. Mixed practices have generally poor track records of giving banded patients adequate support or accurate information. The tend to not have separate support groups for banded patients, so your support group exists primarily for the needs of GP patients.

These are also, of course, considerations when looking for someone to provide fills State-Side. Support groups and knowledgeable support staff is so crucial. No one can get by on just monthly support group meetings. You have to expect to get intensive education and emotional support from groups like SmartBandsters, which is used by NWWLS for support for all their practice patients and their fill technician, Jessie Ahroni, is the group leader and main source of advice.

Summing up, you can expect EXCELLENT surgical and fill expertise for many Mexican banding surgeons ---- but outside Kuri & Rumbaut, you will have much heavier needs for self reliance in making certain you provide for your own psychological and nutritional learning curves.

To me if I cant afford it in Australia then I cant afford it...it does require a lot of aftercare, forever. I'd only do it if I had local aftercare arranged."

BRAVO

As far as US doctors being timid with fills, while Mexican doctors go aggressive and fill you tight, there have been too many complications with aggressive fills. I've read here at LBT that aggressive, tight fills might lead to erosion since the sudden trauma of a tight fill puts such instant strain on the stomach. Again, this isn't a medical viewpoint, but it makes sense if you think about it. One thing for sure is that tight fills often leave people too restricted, to the point they can't swallow and have to run back for an unfill. After a bad "too tight" episode, they usually unfill the band completely until you're body has a chance to heal. So a tight fill might not be such a great idea.

Main thing is that going to Mexico is like, well, it's like going to another country! While many people can afford to take time off work, some can't. There's so much more than the doctor's appointment. Will your work allow you to run off to see your surgeon any time you need to? Do you have a reputable babysitter, crittersitter, housesitter? Do you have an unlimited amount of time and money to pay for the extra traveling expenses? If you get an aggressive Mexican fill, will you be able to run right back to Mexico in a couple days to have it reversed, then do it again in a couple weeks to get refilled?

Lots to consider. I'm changing my initial answer: Would you ever go to Mexico? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Hi, DeLara .... Just came back to mention that ALSO Dr. Jose Rodriguez (and possibly other Mexican surgeons) routinely use the Inamed Mini-Port which is still an extra $500 option with many surgeons....

What I have read of research to date is that it is STILL not known just exactly why erosions happen --- only that they are most common after about 18 - 24 months out. What have you heard or read about that point recently??

And have you read the Israeli medical school where they have been doing dual-surgeries? They reband at the same time they surgically correct the erosion? I sure hope you are able to be rebanded soon.

I noted your dates... and feel terrible that you had two port site infections. When I got home and ran out of antibiotics, but still had warmth over my port, I went on Amoxicillin for more days. I wonder if port site infections are simply common for all hospitals or more common if done in smaller private hospitals where things like advanced sterilization equipment and air filtration systems in surgical suites is not so likely.