Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone REGRET getting banded and why?

I had no pain in recovery and just mild discomfort for a few days, so never took any pain meds other than liquid Tylenol after surgery. I was back to work (desk job) the day after surgery, although I did go home after a couple hours. Slept the rest of the day and then went back to work the following day with no problem.

I have been banded for almost a year and have only lost 30 pounds. I've had little to no restriction as far as how much I can eat except when I was overfilled. Perhaps that was my fault getting filled too fast so now I'm taking it a bit more slowly in getting refilled.

I have yet to see the advantage to getting this band, but I'm still hoping it will do what I was promised it will do.

I don't regret having it done at all.

I don't feel deprived, I eat just about anything I want, just in greatly reduced amounts. I've lost 160 lbs in 19 months.

I did not do all that well immediately post-op, but I attribute that to being given inadequate pain control medication. I would not have been able to fly at one day out. While you may do very well and be able to handle it, I would make contingency plans in case you don't do well. Hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Best of luck to you.

No regrets here--It was the best thing I've ever done for myself.

I've never regretted it, even though I've had issues. I have been overfilled since my first fill, and it took several unfills before (the last being under fluoroscopy) I'm finally not "overfilled". My incision never shut (single incision through the belly button, just glued shut), and I had to have "exploratory wound surgery" last week, where the dr moved my port, cleaned outt he initial incision area and sewed it shut.

After all that, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I've lost 90lbs in 7 months without a stringent diet and hellish exercise plan (though I do stay active and try and eat sensibly).

I don't regret one minute of it. Sometimes I miss certain foods, but not enough to be morbidly obese again.

As for the gas pain... The GasEx strips and lots for walking worked the best for me.

Im still learning my band, but so far so good.

Lots of luck and Congrats on considering ways to love yourself more by getting healthy.

I have been banded for almost a year and have only lost 30 pounds. I've had little to no restriction as far as how much I can eat except when I was overfilled. Perhaps that was my fault getting filled too fast so now I'm taking it a bit more slowly in getting refilled.

I have yet to see the advantage to getting this band, but I'm still hoping it will do what I was promised it will do.

Hi ElfiePoo, Sorry I am confused by your post. You stated you only lost 30 pounds and it has been almost a year, but your tickets says 102 lost...I think that is AWESOME. So do you mean 30 pounds since your last fill?

[ If I am getting it done i will be going to Belgium and flying home the day after, have any of you flown directly after the operation and how did you find it?

Please give yourself more than 24 hours before getting on a plane. Everyone's experience is different and you have to prepare for the possibility that you will be extremely uncomfortable. I imagine that flying will affect the pressure put on your body and believe me your body will have enough pressure to deal with after your surgeon fills you up with air.

As for regrets...I've had many since a week ago when I under went the surgery. I am already down 10 lbs but it has not been worth my discomfort. Friends keep encouraging me to let more time pass before deciding how I feel about the procedure.

Edited by jenn90808
additional info

I don't regret it at all-- so happy I did it at one month out.

I was in pain after surgery for about 2 days, but it was livable pain and not worth a second thought.

Be prepared for some pain. Be prepared for hunger before you get your fills (which can be a while after surgery). Be prepared for some energy loss after surgery. Be prepared not to lose super fast right after surgery. If you're prepared for all of these things and have a realistic outlook on what to expect, you should do great!

The only regret I have is waiting so long to have it done. I am 7 weeks out and down 30lbs already. I was banded on Wednesday and back to my desk job on Monday and only took the pain medication for 4 days.

I get upset sometimes when I watch TV and every single commercial is about food. I am VERY strict with my diet and do not allow myself any cheats. I aim high on Protein and low on calories. I began walking 1.5 miles per day starting the second week after surgery. I feel really fantastic. The only thing is that my menu is limited because I don't eat red meat, chicken I have twice a week and if I dont cut it down real small I do get the "stuck" feeling. I eat a lot of fish (tilapia) because it breaks down real nice. I have not been out to dinner since having the surgery and I miss that, but I am saving a lot of money!!!! lol

Bottom line.....well, my bottom line is shrinking!!! No Regrets!!!!

Hi ElfiePoo, Sorry I am confused by your post. You stated you only lost 30 pounds and it has been almost a year, but your tickets says 102 lost...I think that is AWESOME. So do you mean 30 pounds since your last fill?

No, I lost 72 pounds on my own prior to the surgery. Since surgery I've only lost 30...and even that was done pretty much without a fill.

I have hope though. I go in for another fill tomorrow and am hoping it gives me at least some restriction.

As for regrets...I've had many since a week ago when I under went the surgery. I am already down 10 lbs but it has not been worth my discomfort. Friends keep encouraging me to let more time pass before deciding how I feel about the procedure.

Hang in there, Jen. You're only a week postop so you're bound to have discomfort. Most people are back to normal by 4-6 weeks (meaning they forget they even have a band in).

Absolutely no regrets. Banded end of July by Dr Chris and his fab team.

In twelve weeks lost 34 pounds and approx 31 inches. So definately no regrets from this quarter!

Gas pain and pain on my right hand side rather than port side. They will look fater you interms of fluids and pain relief you just need to ask and they will give you them through an IV.

Didn't fly to Belgium went by Eurostar but there were others who did fly the next day just be aware that you will feel tight in the abdomen area. After all it is surgery and your body needs time to recover.

Hope all goes well in November. Best decision you can make if you want to take control and have ownership over your body and your weight again!

At first - ABSOLUTELY. Now - Nope :sneaky:

In the 1st 3-4 weeks I had some horrible depression.

My band still doesn't work like it's meant to because I haven't found restriction. I sometimes think I should've gotten gastic bypass or the sleeve...But I know I probably would've regretted that and wanted lap band instead lol.

I'm silly like that.

All in all it's about how much weight you lose and how healthy you become because of it.

When I look at all of the crap I've been through, it doesn't matter. I'm losing weight and that's what's important.

Edited by WrenBird

No regrets here. 15 months out - down 80 lbs

Cheri