Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BCBS Fed

I am working on approval with Fed BCBS also. My surgeon's insurance coordinator is waiting for the notes from my former PCP regarding medical supervision of dieting. I was on phentermine from April to October 2009. Hopefully, they will accept that as the required diet. Otherwise, I will be doing 2 more visits with the dietician at my surgeon's office (1st one was August 18) and they will write up the report for the supervised diet for BCBS. My surgeon will be out of the office for the month of September, so my surgery won't be until October regardless.

I am working on approval with Fed BCBS also. My surgeon's insurance coordinator is waiting for the notes from my former PCP regarding medical supervision of dieting. I was on phentermine from April to October 2009. Hopefully, they will accept that as the required diet. Otherwise, I will be doing 2 more visits with the dietician at my surgeon's office (1st one was August 18) and they will write up the report for the supervised diet for BCBS. My surgeon will be out of the office for the month of September, so my surgery won't be until October regardless.

I hope so too. Sept 6 I have done my 3 months, only lost 5 lbs. but I'll be Ok, now 30 more days before infor can be sent to the fepblue. and I want that ins cordinator abraxabear was talking bout! A 2 day approval wait be GREATTT! Sooner is better than later- Good luck!

I hope so too. Sept 6 I have done my 3 months, only lost 5 lbs. but I'll be Ok, now 30 more days before infor can be sent to the fepblue. and I want that ins cordinator abraxabear was talking bout! A 2 day approval wait be GREATTT! Sooner is better than later- Good luck!

Grider,

Hi, do you have standard or basic? I was not aware that they can't send paperwork until 30 days after finishing nut counseling or am I reading something into your statement. Also, do you know anything about a copay for the band?

Thanks much,

Melinda

You're right. I called my surgeon's office and they said they had faxed it. I called Fed BC/BS and they said they hadn't received it but was very helpful. I contacted the surgeon's office again and asked them to fax it again. This time the insurance company rec'd it. I'm following up next week to keep on them until the approval is obtained.

That is fantastic! I have federal BC/BS and have all of my pre-approval requirements into the surgeon's office. The insurance coordinator seems to be on the ball and I'm hoping for a surgery date soon. My BMI qualifies me and I seem fortunate that they only require 3 months of diet and exercise documentation from my family physician.

Why will it take 30 days for the info can be sent to the insurance?

I have to complete the full 90 days, 3 visits be 60 days total, adding days forward. So Oct. 6, 2011, I weigh in and they check all my info, letters, the full package for the insurance and fax it, soon as they can, I prefer e-mail but not done that way. dry.gif So 4 visit = 90 days. If i could get banded in OCT I would be estatic. but Nov. will do. What I don't get is why it should take longer than a few days to process an approval. they are not federal... :lol: let me shut my trap.

ha ha, trust me, I understand. I was just confused because I thought you had completed the 90 days. I will have my last "diet and exercise" visit Sept. 12 and then I will fax those reports to my bariactric doctors office. Then I call and the lady that handles all that will get all my reports together and send them to BCBS-Fed. I must admit, I now understand why everyone is on pins and needles at this point. My bariatric doctors office have been amazing. They have guided me thru all the steps and they are used to the things the insurance ping people on, so they have tried to help me get all my ducks in a row. Still nervous though. I am so ready to get this all going. I am guessing I will probably be banded mid-october....just in time for my b-day. :D Good luck to you!!!!!

I have to complete the full 90 days, 3 visits be 60 days total, adding days forward. So Oct. 6, 2011, I weigh in and they check all my info, letters, the full package for the insurance and fax it, soon as they can, I prefer e-mail but not done that way. dry.gif So 4 visit = 90 days. If i could get banded in OCT I would be estatic. but Nov. will do. What I don't get is why it should take longer than a few days to process an approval. they are not federal... :lol: let me shut my trap.

ha ha, trust me, I understand. I was just confused because I thought you had completed the 90 days. I will have my last "diet and exercise" visit Sept. 12 and then I will fax those reports to my bariactric doctors office. Then I call and the lady that handles all that will get all my reports together and send them to BCBS-Fed. I must admit, I now understand why everyone is on pins and needles at this point. My bariatric doctors office have been amazing. They have guided me thru all the steps and they are used to the things the insurance ping people on, so they have tried to help me get all my ducks in a row. Still nervous though. I am so ready to get this all going. I am guessing I will probably be banded mid-october....just in time for my b-day. :D Good luck to you!!!!!

wow that is right around the corner!!! Sept is flying! and now with this poss job change I am freaked, I can't find out if the agency has the same FEDblue and with the same plan and I DO not want to ask before I get the offer in my hand, Does anyone know if CIS has fepblue? I have posted several feelers out there to see and emailed their HR---- nada so far, I just cant give up this opportunity- not do I want to delay this surgery,, :huh:

I just got off the phone with customer service so I could find out my benefits and was told that after Jan 1, 2011 they where going to be tightening up their requirements for WLS and that in the furture patients will have to undergo supervised diet plans, ect, ect. The agent was a bit vague but now I am worried because there is no way that I will be having the surgery before that time. I could use advice about how to speed up the process.

Thank you for that information. I have been afraid that the benefits were going to be reduced. I have got to get mine done before the first of the year. I need to call the co-ordinator and see what it is going to take to accomplish this. All the best to you. I would call your program co-ordinator and visit with him or her.

Melinda

All of my paperwork was faxed to BC/BS on 8/16. BC/BS said they never rec'd it. I had it faxed again. I followed-up every week to verify they rec'd it. I was approvved in less than 2 weeks and my surgery is scheduled for 9/21.

You're right. I called my surgeon's office and they said they had faxed it. I called Fed BC/BS and they said they hadn't received it but was very helpful. I contacted the surgeon's office again and asked them to fax it again. This time the insurance company rec'd it. I'm following up next week to keep on them until the approval is obtained.

Weeee congrats!

:lol:

wow that is right around the corner!!! Sept is flying! and now with this poss job change I am freaked, I can't find out if the agency has the same FEDblue and with the same plan and I DO not want to ask before I get the offer in my hand, Does anyone know if CIS has fepblue? I have posted several feelers out there to see and emailed their HR---- nada so far, I just cant give up this opportunity- not do I want to delay this surgery,, :huh:

Why not call BCBS and find out if they insure the CIS? I am assuming you mean Cental Intellgence? I would think about telling whoever you interview with about the surgery. I can't imagine that they wouldn't appreciate you being upfront with them, Could you take some annual between jobs? All the best,

Melinda

I did call fepblue, and they could only tell me about my own benefits, and cis is citizen &immigration. So far their HR has not responded to a general question. I did a phone interview and really do not want to approch them further locally. I just wanted to know my options. The longer they take the better, I hate not KNOWING when surgery will be. Oct -NOv, sounds so in the air as to when you can say you can start. :(

I did call fepblue, and they could only tell me about my own benefits, and cis is citizen &immigration. So far their HR has not responded to a general question. I did a phone interview and really do not want to approch them further locally. I just wanted to know my options. The longer they take the better, I hate not KNOWING when surgery will be. Oct -NOv, sounds so in the air as to when you can say you can start. :(

Well, I wasn't even close on what CIS is. Thanks for the info! I know it is a lot to consider and take in. We found out yesterday that we are one of the ones affected by the plant closings with the post office. Fortunately my husband is just twenty two months away from a thirty year pension. He thinks he will have a job until March 1st. I want to get the most out of my medical benefits this year so I really need to continue to lose weight so I can get my surgery this year.

I wish you all the best in your new endeavour.

Melinda