Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a port leak!!

Guest raslburch

Guest raslburch

I went to see what was going on with my band last Thursday and found out my port is leaking.

I'm having port replacement surgery December 30th. Then I have to wait about a month for an adjustment. Which really sucks!!!

I asked if he could do an adjustment during surgery and he said no. I'm going to ask him one more time because I've heard of other people geting them during surgery.

It going to so hard not to go back to the bad habits through the holidays.

Staci

Do they know what causes the port to leak. Is it something that happens at the time of surgery; the first fill, possible poking the tubing; do you have any idea. I would hate to go through that. That is what I meant when I said that my dr. had told me that sometimes (often) lap banding requires more than one surgery. That's been proven on this forum with people who have had to have the band removed for erosion, and people with leaks. I wonder what can be done to prevent this? It sounds like dr. error to me. Can someone help me out here?

I've had two port removals. Be patient and wait for the fill. My surgeon, Dr. Billy, has seen people get fills during port removal. They feel great during the fill, but the next day restriction hits them so hard that they can't swallow, so they're rushed back to the hospital for an unfill... but wait, how do you unfill a portless band? They have to place a new port in you, do the unfill, then remove the brand new port. Very expensive, painful, time consuming, frustrating. Not worth it.

Since we're on the subject, ask your surgeon what he plans on doing with the tube while you heal. My first removal surgeon left the tube too close to the surface of my skin, so the wound never healed and stayed infected for 8 months. The 2nd port removal was done correctly with the tube tucked into my abdominal cavity (where it's been for a year since I still don't have a port.)

The correct procedure is to tuck the tube away so the wound can heal. Tube near wound won't allow the wound to close/heal. Good luck.

Delarla, why would they not let you keep the new port they used? Its not like they can use it on someone else.

So sorry you have to go through this. I hope you can keep up your progress through the holidays, I know that's really hard to do. Just try and think about how good you will feel afterwards though if you don't cave in before you get the new port in and another fill done. Really lousy timing for that darn port to go on you, not that there's a good time for that.

I will keep you in my prayers that everything goes well for you on all fronts.

Cindy

OMG! I am totally frustrated, mad, confused,etc....I had my band removed at the advice of my surgeon as I had severe reflux. I trusted him to do the best thing for my health. He removed the band, performed a fundal plication which wraps the top of the stomach around the esophagus to tighten the muscle preventing reflux (if reflux left unresolved can lead to esophageal cancer). He was going to try to put on a new band during same procedure. When I woke from surgery I felt my port in place and was excited he was able to put band back on. However, I was soon disappointed as he said he left the port in but couldnt get a band back on. I asked why he left the port and he said he would talk to me about it later and could remove it in the office at some point. I trusted him completely. Now 2 yrs later I am still paying him the $2000 he charged for band removal and I saw an xray of my abd for unrelated issue and I can see my port and the tubing! The tubing is loose inside my abdomen! I am afraid it could end up looping around an intestine or something!! I cant believe he left all that in there. And still charged me the removal fee!!! I dont know what to do! I want a new band more than anything (gained 50lbs!!!) or want all this out of my body so it wont cause future problems. Any ideas how I should proceed with this issue?

OMG! I dont know what to do! I want a new band more than anything (gained 50lbs!!!) or want all this out of my body so it wont cause future problems. Any ideas how I should proceed with this issue?

Kalamazoo, find yourself a good attorney. I can not believe he left all that in there.

I need to a new port. The port is self sealing, what that means is when they stick it to fill it, it should seal itself. If you have had a lot of fills that self sealing material stops working, and that's what causes it to leak. I have already put almost 20 pounds back on. That's because the haven't changed my port yet, they just keep waiting, can't decide. I'm working out trying to eat right, but it's so hard because I keep waiting for restriction to tell me to stop and I don't have that feeling.

Are they able to just replace a port without replacing the entire band setup?

the doctor said all he would have to do is cut me where the port is and that would be it, just that small cut once again...i also need to have my tubing shortened because when i lay flat you can see it under the skin it looks like a worm

I got my date for surgery for the port replacement it's this Monday July the 6th. I was wondering though from everyone who has had a replacement what kind of restrictions did you have after your replacement. I know my doctor was telling me that I would be like on clears for a day then full liquids, then normal food...just like when you get a fill. I was just wondering about exercising, lifting, driving, things like that.

Well had my port replaced this morning and got home about 2 hours after surgery. Everything went fine, he said he did think the port was leaking but he replaced it anyway...he couldn't find a leak. He also fixed the tubing because he was thinking that it was getting a crimp in it. Boy is my stomach sore. I can exercise starting tomorrow and drive then also. No heavy lifting or bending. He filled my band while I was in surgery.