Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sept. 2010 Bandsters !!!

Hello!

I was banded September 14, 2010 and have been discourage lately because my weight loss has been at a stop for about a month. I have and 4 fills and will be going back on March 23 for another one. I do not feel much restriction but I am exited for the next fill. I hope it works out and I reach a satisfactory fill for my band. !!!!

Hi there.... we share a banding birthday and my experience is very similar to yours. I also have had 4 fills and the restriction is ever so slight but mostly not enough. I also eat far more that the recommended palm size/half a cup. I followed a thread on this site called 'starting over' and those ladies have been so humble, so helpful and so honest about how tough it really is for a lot of us bandsters. They have lost loads of weight, gained weight but still are winning - suggest you read their posts. Most of them had the banding done over 2 years ago.

I haven't lost more than a kilo since December so was feeling totally discouraged and wanting to give up. They have inspired me and i'm feeling more positive and ready to try another fill.... always dread them as I arrive feeling guilty! I'm going to book for my next fill in the new week so will be holding thumbs for both of us. :thumbup:

My gosh cals, 46 lbs lost is great. Remember an average of 2lbs a week is great, but it sounds like you lost a lot at first and then slowed down. that is probably your body adapting. Don't compare yourself with people that have lost 95 lbs since Sept, that is a lot, I have't seen anyone on this forum that's lost that much, - that is not the norm at all. Actually there is no norm, all of our bodies are so different. I'm just saying this so you know that you are doing great. Wow a 16 holy smokes, I have recently hit the 50lb mark, but I haven't tried on clothes yet, too chicken, I did buy a belt, but none of my bigger sizes are falling off, that was my marker. I would faint if I were even an 18. You rock girl. Remember your measurements are just as important as lbs.

that being said, excercise might really help you get things going again. walking is a great place to start- just moving your body and getting your heart up - start our for 15 mins and try to get to 30 mins- try 4-5 days a week. you can always increase speed for more heart rate. there is a cool program called couch to 5 k that is a neat 30 mins 3x's per week where it's periods of walk, jog and run- you decide how fast those things are.

having a back issues, depending on what you have available, swimming is great to have low pressure on your back, laps are good, or even Water aerobics,

or if you want a class something like pelotes is good, or even yoga,

the main thing is try to move your body some every day - and get your heart rate up for at least 15 mins- meaning a little sweat and breathing heavy. I do treadmill, but now that the weather is breaking I might go outside to walk, walking is great.

I feel so bad that I have not been on this thing in so long. I went in for another fill, now at 6 cc's, I do feel more restriction, but if I was honest with myself, I still overeat. Not as much as I used to but, still more than a palm full. There are days where I feel like I need more to eat than others. Then of course there are those days that I get so busy I forget to eat at all. So I do believe that a lot of what I am "feeling" is mostly in my mind. I am in awe of some of the posts I have read on here of people being banded the same day I was and have already lost 95 lbs. I am so poroud of you! I know that I have done well in my weight loss as well, I have gone from size 24/26 to a size 16W. However, I have been stuck at my current weight +/- a pound or two for the past 2 months. I am undergoing a lot of problems with my back and have been having shots so not able to do a lot of exercise as of yet. Can those of you who have lost more than 50 lbs and have starting exercising for the first time in a long time tell me what you are doing so I can begin something that will work for now and then do more once my back is fixed? I will finally be graduating with a 4.0 GPA from Chapman University and the commencement is in May. I refuse to cross that stage unless I am below 200lbs (25 lbs to go). I crossed the stage for my AA degree last June and I look like a beached whale in my black robe. I will not do that to myself again. It killed me. Please help me find a way to get this weight loss kicked into gear again so I can reach this goal and walk across the stage. Thank you so much for any advice!!!

WOW everyone is doing amazing at the 6 month mark. I tried and hoped for 50 by this mark, but instead I am only at 34 pounds lost at the 6 month mark. :( Pity party table of 1!!! I feel like a complete failure. I know I know I am NOT to compare myself to others, but in reality EVERYONE that has posted here is wwaaaay past me. I just had my third fill with 6ccs and I do feel restricted. I can't eat quickly anymore and I am FOR SURE not eating anywhere near the amount or types I food I used to. Being so over weight I thought my body would be shedding the weight quicker at first, but it has been very slow. Don't get me wrong I am very happy I did this, but at the same time I feel I am failing this!!:angry:

6months, 24-28 weeks, you've lost more then 1 lb per week, I do believe there are many on this thread that have lost less then 40 lbs. I feel like the higher end losers are at 60-65 lbs one gal is higher but she was on a strict diet long long before September, like 6 months or something, so she's been at it a long time.

1 lb average per week even is great! don't feel like a failure, repeat you are awesome, and you are doing a great job, nothing wrong with trying new things, but don't get discouraged, and just making the move to work on this, and it is all real work, is great.

Extraonme-- you've lost 10 BMI points!!!!! That's amazing :)

I have lost a lot, but I lost almost 30 lbs of it before surgery during the pre-op period. So really, I'm much more in line with everyone than it may look from looking at my ticker.

In any case, don't let the comparisons get you down. I've seen people on this site, at goal, who said they took 3 years to get there because they were slow losers. 3 years is nothing in the scheme of things. You will succeed. I think the worst thing about these support sites is the comparison factor and if we could all stop that we'd honestly and logically look at our progress and be happy. When's the last time you lost 10 BMI points in six months?

Keep up the good work-- you are right on track.

ETA: LisaA, you are awesome too. You have the best attitude and are a great support for the rest of us.

Hi everyone.

I have not posted on this site for a while. I'm glad to see that many of you are doing well. I had a surgery date of 9/17/10 and I am also one who has not lost as much weight as many of you have done.

I've only lost 38 lbs (about 16 lbs was pre surgery, so only 22 lbs since surgery). While I averaged 1-2 lb weight loss at the beginning, I've averaged less than a pound lost per week over the last several weeks.

I've added exercise into my life and go to the gym 3x per week, doing both low impact cardio and muscle strengthening exercises. I've noticed firmer body parts in certain areas based on my exercising. I've had 3 fills to date for a total of 4 1/2 CC's in a 10CC band. I feel restriction in that I have trouble eating dry chicken and steak and I find I definitely eat less than I used to eat and have to eat slower. However, I am NOT eating 1/2 cup portion sizes that others in this forum are doing successfully.

What advice can you offer me? Should I ask for another fill and hope that will provide my sweet spot and, therefore, the weight loss I seek? I can't seem to lessen the amount I eat because I'm still hungry. Currently, I can no longer can eat any kind of dry meat and basically have to eat meals my family does not like so we eat mainly separate meals. A few times a week I eat meals with my family. I am totally confused and not very happy right now.

Maxi

Maxi-

Your lower rate of loss is because you started at a lower BMI (at least, you started 10 BMI points lower than I did). I think you're doing great.:D

Just try to remember it's not a race (I'm telling myself this too, as I know I'm going to see my losses slow down soon since I'm approaching a lower BMI). As long as the scale is moving, even if it is at a glacier slow rate, the band is working. Sure, I'd like to be at goal tomorrow, but if I count on it I'm just setting myself up for feelings of failure and disappointment-- which is crazy, since I haven't seen my current weight (195) in over 10 years.

Ask yourself this-- when was the last time you lost this much weight and kept it off/kept losing in 6 months? If you're like most of us, it has been a very very long time.

Maxi2010 - Boy do I know what you are going through. I was banded 9/17/10 and have lost 28 pounds since surgery. I have lost a whopping 2.8 pounds since Christmas. So basically 90% of my loss was in the first three months and 10% was in the second three months. I have to admit that I get frustrated and bummed out about the major slow down. I try to focus on the positive, such as that I'm not gaining, instead of dwelling on the negative. I can't say I always succeed with this philosophy. To make matters harder, my step-sister had the vertical sleeve procedure 12 days after me, started out 4 pounds heavier than me on surgery day, and has lost 30 pounds more than I have. The positive, I am healthy, am enjoying life, can ride my bike 30-miles and last week jogged a 5k for the first time ever; while my step-sister has no energy to do anything beyond a 15-minute stroll.

The reason I had the surgery was because I had a voracious appetite that made it rediculously hard to keep weight off. I still have more hunger than I'm comfortable with, but it is way more manageable than before surgery. The last time I was at this weight, I was miserable and couldn't maintain it. This time, I am confident I will keep it off. This is the first time ever I have had that confidence. I still have hope that I can hit goal by the end of 2011, but I know there is a possibility it will not happen until 2012.

As for the 1/2 cup portions, I don't understand how someone can be satisfied by that and still be able to function. A 3 oz. portion of chicken tenders is a 1/2 cup and 140 calories. So if you eat your 3 oz. of Protein first, you can eat no other food. And then there's the fact that 140 calories times 3-4 meals a day is only 420-560 calories a day. That is not enough to function for an extended time, at least not for me. I'd love if someone who claims to only eat 1/2 cup 3-4 times a day could let me know what he/she is eating, how many calories he/she is consuming in a day, and how he/she feels on an average day.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the correct amount of calories to allow me to lose weight but also fuel my body as I train for one or two triathlons later this year. I have started losing a small amount so I think I may be honing in on a good balance.

As for getting more fill if you are already having difficulty eating, you risk going into the red zone. You will need to have a detailed conversation with your doctor/PA/nurse to determine what will be best for you since we are all different.

Just hang in there and savor what you have accomplished.

LisaA - you must have big shiny pom poms because you are such a great cheerleader!

Need to share... I am going to Punta Cana with my mom on Sunday (my treat to myself after recently having broken off a 4 yr relationship with an amazing man because hes not wanting to get married), so I am going through my summer cloths to pack... and guess what... some things fit so much better but my shorts and capris are WAY too big. Its only 29 pounds since the summer BUT OMG the fact that they slide off without having to unbutton or unzip is AMAZING!

SO to EVERYONE whose sad about not losing more then 30 pounds like myself... TRY ON YOUR JULY/AUGUST cloths... They will show that the pounds made a HUGE difference .. its pounds and inches!

SOOOO exciting.. Its a big motivator... Hopefully I can do another 20 pounds before summer! :)

Thanks so much State of Oz (Lyla), Rambunctious and Danide. You all are all SOOO motivating.

Yes, I agree that for the first time in my life I feel I will NEVER AGAIN be over 200 lbs and that I will keep this weight off. I could take off lbs before but I always knew it would creep back on. I cannot remember the last time I weighed this amount so that part is thrilling to me. The slowness of my weight loss has been deflating. However, you are right that I should not focus on that part.

I agree that I don't want to enter the red zone where I can no longer eat most foods so having another fill scares me. Based on this thread, I now plan to have a conversation with my doctor the next time I have an appointment, which is in a few weeks. I also agree I should focus on the positive accomplishments we all have done since surgery rather than on the one bad aspect - the slowness of my weight loss. At least I am still losing, which is a great accomplishment (although it is less than 1 lb per week, on average).

Hooray to all of us for taking off whatever lbs you have lost and for KEEPING IT OFF - even through the holidays. Awesome! Congratulations to us all! Thank you for helping me to "see the light." Maxi

I too was hopeful to be losing 1lb per week at this stage. Oh well. At least I'm not gaining.:) The clothes fitting better is a great measurement of success. I'm also using mt level of fitness and ability to fit in seats better as another measure of success.

I weighed myself this morning and I have finally hit 30lb loss since surgery. I want to lose another 5lb by the end of April when I go on a dive vacation because the next 5lbs marks halfway to goal.

Danide - I hope you and your mom have a fabulous trip!

Hi everyone! I have come back to the forum after a bit of a hibernation, no more like hiding. I think that I let my concentration slide for a little while maybe because I thought that my band was the one in control and not me. BIG wake up call!! It was my lack of focus and MY choices that got me into this mess and it will be my focus and choices that will lead me out. Good news, I am back! Back to the basics, little changes that are easy to incorporate and not being so hard on myself. AND another 0.5 cc in my band gave my a big slap upside my head that gave a big boost. I now have to follow the rules, no ifs ands or buts. Only take small bites, chew your food well, take time between bites, no Pasta, perogies, bread, lettuce, dry meat, cheese. I now have restriction and cannot go past that 1/2 cup limit. I now understand the terms "stuck" and why you do not drink with meals. OMG!! Productive Burp my ass!! :) That term in the past made it sound tolerable!! Gagging up unchewed food is something I am going to work towards never having to do again. I am back in LOVE with my band, it is a great tool in my toolbox but I still remind myself the best tool is me!!

Keep up the good work everyone!!

Laurie

Lettuce, why no lettuce, I eat lettuce and many other raw greens daily, it's great, never felt stuck from it?

I not only eat lettuce, I also eat Pasta, bread and cheese. Pasta and bread have to be eaten very carefully and cheese has to be eaten in small quantities. I stay away from dry meats (easy since I don't like dry meats or jerky). I have restriction, but I can eat pretty much any type of food provided the bites are small, chewed well and spaced out. Some foods are harder than others so I do limit those ones. Darn cake slides right through.;)

Oh yes I too eat all of that, and Jerky, jerky and lowfat cheese stick is my snack, since I decided yougurt had too many carbs-

genrally my meals are more like a cup, 4 oz Protein, 1/4 cup green vegies 1/4 cup starch or some kind of whole grain really.

lunches, 3-4 oz turkey or chicken 2 tbl cottage cheese and about 3/4 cup of raw veggis-

also 2 100 cal Snacks.< /p>

Breakfast an egg and half piece toast, and half grapefruit often too.

this is a typical work day, weekends vary more. but I can't imagine get all the nutrients with 1/2 cup of food

also my nutritionist says to expect to lose 50 lbs a year. so all of you are practically there, way ahead of schedule I might add ;-)