Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sept. 2010 Bandsters !!!

Hello, All! I too have been gone for a while. (My internet service was down.) Anyhoo, here's where I am:

Banded 9-22 and had my 8 week follow up appt today. I have done really well so far. No problems, no pain, One who didn't know, would have no idea I even have a band. I love my band and while I never thought I'd say it, I love being banded. My thoughts on food and the way I deal with food have changed immensely. I don't really miss anything. I just deal with it. Thanksgiving was good. I "tasted" a piece of pie and left it for my husband. :) Dr said my weight loss has been extraordinary compared with others at his center. I was so proud! Then, we talked a bit and he decided I should get my first fill.

Easier said than done. He could not access my port. We went to the lab to try it under x-ray. It was really cool to watch it, but... He verified with several xray shots that my port had not flipped. However, every time he poked me with the needle, he hit metal. It felt really weird. He has done 100's and 100's of lap band surgeries, and said that this is the first case that has stumped him. Needless to say, I didn't get a fill and now I am scheduled for exploratory surgery next week. :unsure: I'm kind of bummed.

Hello, All! I too have been gone for a while. (My internet service was down.) Anyhoo, here's where I am:

Banded 9-22 and had my 8 week follow up appt today. I have done really well so far. No problems, no pain, One who didn't know, would have no idea I even have a band. I love my band and while I never thought I'd say it, I love being banded. My thoughts on food and the way I deal with food have changed immensely. I don't really miss anything. I just deal with it. Thanksgiving was good. I "tasted" a piece of pie and left it for my husband. :) Dr said my weight loss has been extraordinary compared with others at his center. I was so proud! Then, we talked a bit and he decided I should get my first fill.

Easier said than done. He could not access my port. We went to the lab to try it under x-ray. It was really cool to watch it, but... He verified with several xray shots that my port had not flipped. However, every time he poked me with the needle, he hit metal. It felt really weird. He has done 100's and 100's of lap band surgeries, and said that this is the first case that has stumped him. Needless to say, I didn't get a fill and now I am scheduled for exploratory surgery next week. :unsure: I'm kind of bummed.

Oh no! I will think good throughts for you. At least you are not in pain. Isn't it neat how our ideas of how we interact with food have changed? Maybe because of all the tests, and pain we went through, it's not work it to go back to our old way of eating. Let us know what happens.

The other day I realized that since surgery I have not woken in the middle of the night feeling starved. The biggest change for me is that my hunger now feels what I think is "normal". Yes, I get hungry, very hungry at times, but I should get hungry considering I'm depriving my body of the calories it wants to maintain. The big change is that I no longer feel starved and deprived.

Missjoany-that's great news that your port site seems to be healing.

KittyKat56 - best wishes with your port. I'm curious how he's hitting metal. I thought the device was all plastic. I could be wrong.

The other day I realized that since surgery I have not woken in the middle of the night feeling starved. The biggest change for me is that my hunger now feels what I think is "normal". Yes, I get hungry, very hungry at times, but I should get hungry considering I'm depriving my body of the calories it wants to maintain. The big change is that I no longer feel starved and deprived.

Missjoany-that's great news that your port site seems to be healing.

KittyKat56 - best wishes with your port. I'm curious how he's hitting metal. I thought the device was all plastic. I could be wrong.

Hi all. Kittykat56 - waiting to see what happens with you.

Rambunctious- yes, today I was able to get the sheets off the bed, and even get down and clean the refrigerator. Keeping a watch out, if the pain starts to get bad again, will ask for another course of antibiotics. I went through a few weeks of being really hungry, then all of a sudden it went away!! Isn't that so cool. I did have a few days of feeling bummed because of the pain, and drank 3 cups of coffee with Creamer in it, but getting ready to throw it away and get back to the business of staying healthy. It was scary how easy it was to fall back into old habits.

Old habits die hard!!

HI all, back finally! good to read the comments.

Miss Joany, I hope your infection keeps getting better! eat lots of live yogurt while you are doing those antibiotics.

So I am curious, doing a bit of a survey. sort of long. Just curious about some of this stuff

howdy there. so I'm taking a poll, let me know. I hope you all are doing well.

1. how many cc's you have in your band

2. do you feel you have restriction- what does that mean for you?

3. are your calories tending to stay below like 1600 (or what are your calories generally.)

4. what is your weight loss like.

5. are you hungry between meals.

6. are you exercising, and how much

7. how much Water are you drinking?

I'll start.

1. how many cc's you have in your band<br style="color: rgb(153, 0, 0);"> 4.5 from OCC. I'm planning on going back, for 1 more fill, maybe depending on what people say with restriction about how they feel. But it won't be till after the holidays.<br style="color: rgb(153, 0, 0);"> 2. do you feel you have restriction- what does that mean for you?<br style="color: rgb(153, 0, 0);"> last week, there were things that I felt were cool, like I would get a tiny nasal drip, and I took that as a soft stop, and I wasn't getting hungry between meal.

I feel like this weekend I ate till I felt very full, and never got the nasal drip. this was the first time since my fill. so maybe that sign is not happening. I will see today if I get hungry between meals, if I'm able to keep at 1200 cals per day, and not feel hungry between meals I will be happy with the way things are. we shall see.<br style="color: rgb(153, 0, 0);"> 3. are your calories tending to stay below like 1600 (or what are your calories generally.)<br style="color: rgb(153, 0, 0);"> generally yeas, below 1300-1200. but I don't count everyday, I also do some days where I just do what Miranda said for portions. I feel Sunday I went over my goal. but I didn't count, I need to get better with keeping track and knowing even when my schedule is strange.<br style="color: rgb(153, 0, 0);"> <br style="color: rgb(153, 0, 0);"> 4. what is your weight loss like.

I've lost all the weight plus 1 lb that I gained from Thanksgiving weekend.

I started 298

I am now 266

my surgery date I was 280

so since surgery I've lost 14 lbs in basically 10 weeks.

that is not my goal, I'd really like 2 lbs per week, would still be happy with an average of 1.5 per week. I'm at 1.4, I guess with the holidays in the mix maybe I should still feel happy. but I would like it to be more, of course. <br style="color: rgb(153, 0, 0);"> <br style="color: rgb(153, 0, 0);"> 5. are you hungry between meals.<br style="color: rgb(153, 0, 0);">

I feel I am mostly not hungry between meals, as time goes on since my fill, my hunger has increased between meals, but I am still able to deal with it, with my yogurt or piece of fruit, which is part of my daily food plan and staying under 1200 cals. so I am ok with that. Once I went to bed, and my belly was grumbling. but I drank some water, I abated and I fell asleep.

this has not been that good this last week. I have a goal to walk somewhat briscly for a mile each day. This is 20 minutes of exercising a day. I'd like to add to that, but haven't yet. and last week durning hunting season, I did not walk at all.

7. how much water are you drinking?

besides exercise this is a huge obstacle. I am trying to drink 64 oz a day, I am pitifully below that. If I could drink during meals I could jack that up. but I don't so I need to increase this a lot.

[1. how many cc's you have in your band

I have 3.5 cc and I go on Dec 15th for more =)

I have some… Let me explain… if I eat fast or don’t chew… I feel it. But for me to say wow I can’t take another bit… nope… I actually see my plate and say stop eating now… and the difference now is that I feel contempt.

3. are your calories tending to stay below like 1600 (or what are your calories generally.)

I am way below 1600 calories… more like 1000. I really don’t count… I just know it… the times I count it I am always below.

I was banded on Sept 20th and I have lost 41 pounds as of this AM. My mini-goal is to have lost 50 pounds by New Year… 9 more to go… 24 days!!!

It depends on what I eat. M-F I have a Protein Shake and coffee in the AM so I definitely feel it by noon. Around 3ish I make myself a banded frappachino… that is what I call it. Lol

Yes… doing the c25K… I am signed up for my first 5k on Jan 16th

I am drink about 60 oz of water a day

1. how many cc's you have in your band

6.3cc in 10cc band (4.5 at surgery + 1.0 + 0.5 + 0.3)

My third fill did not seem to cause more “restriction”, but has taken the edge off my hunger.

Yes: if I eat too big a bite, too fast ,or too much, I feel pressure or like nothing more will go down or something is stuck on the way down. Eating slow and small is becoming habit so most of the time I feel I eat "normal" without any discomfort.

Yes: I typically range from 1,000-1,400 with a daily average of 1,200. I occasionally have a 1,600-1,800 day, but still average 1,150-1,250 for the week. I find I get woozy the next morning if I get below 800 for the day or below 1,000 for too many days (3-5). I measure my food, read labels, check restaurant websites, etc. and track in a program called DietPower.

lost 12lb first two weeks, lost 13lb next 9 weeks

My weight loss is very erratic; I gain some weeks, I lose very little some weeks, I lose a lot some weeks

I get hungry almost every day between 2:00-2:30. I have learned to wait it out. If the hunger lasts, I eat something. Generally, I’m hungry 3-5 hours after a meal depending on how much I ate, what I ate, my recent activity level and how busy I am. Some days I’m hungrier than others. I consider my hunger level now to be normal considering I’m in a weight loss mode. I used to be starved.

I exercise for 30-120 minutes 3-5 days per week.

I drink 6-12 glasses a day between coffee, green tea and water. I only have one cup of coffee a day.

I think I'm in the green zone for now. That may change as I lose more fat. I'll find out what the surgeon and nutritionist say when I meet with them on Thursday.

I just wanted to wish you all well on your continued journeys. I was banded on Sept 30th 2010 and was doing really well until Nov 17th when I had to have the band removed due to an infection. It was a very scarey time in my life. I wish I could be strong like some of the other people on here and go back and do it again but I can't. I am too afraid of getting an infection again. I applaud everyone that is able to get the band and be able to keep it and have it work for them. Me not wanting to have the band replaced is strictly a personal decision and I would never suggest to anyone to not get the band in the first place. It just didn't work out for me. Continued luck to all of you!!

so sorry mrsbuhre, hopefully this will be just another phase in your weight loss journey.

I just wanted to wish you all well on your continued journeys. I was banded on Sept 30th 2010 and was doing really well until Nov 17th when I had to have the band removed due to an infection. It was a very scarey time in my life. I wish I could be strong like some of the other people on here and go back and do it again but I can't. I am too afraid of getting an infection again. I applaud everyone that is able to get the band and be able to keep it and have it work for them. Me not wanting to have the band replaced is strictly a personal decision and I would never suggest to anyone to not get the band in the first place. It just didn't work out for me. Continued luck to all of you!!

I am so sorry! I have been having some complications, but I still say this has been the best decision I've ever made for myself. Good Luck to you, Mrs. Brune!

Oh WOW sorry to hear abour your experience. I hope you continue in your weight loss efforts. I too had an infection, but the doc said it was under my port, bending over was REALLY painful. I have been on 20 days of antibiotics and NSAIDS. I am keeping an eye on it, because if it does not get better, doc will remove the port. How did you know you had an infection, did you have pain? I too don't wish to return for more surgery. Let us know how you are doing, we are here for support.

Hey People!!

I can finally bend over to put on my sneakers and pick up the kitties. Yeee Haww!! Now I gotta start exercising again. If I feel any kinda of pain again, I will go right back to the surgeon, no waiting around this time.

1. how many cc's you have in your band - I have not had any fills yet due to my infection but I do get some restriction. If I eat too fast, sometimes it gets stuck, have puked 3 times since surgery on 09/11.

2. do you feel you have restriction- what does that mean for you? I feel a bit of restriction, don't know what it would feel like to have more. Maybe in a few weeks I can get my first fill and eat a bit less.

My nutirionist has me on 1200, so I stay around there.

4. what is your weight loss like. I lost 35 pounds. The first month or so I was at 1400 calories and losing a steady one lb a week, then nutritionist suggested I try 1200 cal. I was skeptical thinking I could not possibly go that low, but it has been manageabe.

5. are you hungry between meals. Sometimes I feel hunger, but not ravenous like before, no shakes, or dizziness (like before surgery). I am finding it more difficult to manage my emotional hunger when I am home. Like today, I am home, it's freezing rain out, and I have a bunch of cheese and candy gifts for folks. I really want to eat some!

6. are you exercising, and how much. I stopped exercising late Oct due to the pain I was having, but I think I could try to start back up today. I only have an occasional pinch and have my new slip on sneakers too.

7. how much Water are you drinking? I know I could drink more. I have one cup of coffee, and mostly drink tea the rest of the day.

Me again. Just adding some thoughts to the questions I just answered. I see the weight coming off, and I am a bit flabby. But the most intersting thing is the change in my skin. I used to have oily skin, now it's so dry I feel like lizard lady. After I get out of the shower I must put on lotion all over or I am itchy and you can even see the wrinkles on my hands. ( It sorta looks like my 80 year old neighbor). Loverly! I'm looking for some products to cleanse my face with if anyone has any recommendations.

Also I am so grateful I can bend over now, as we had a snow event, and another one coming, and I was able to put my socks on. I am grateful for the little things. Well if I don't pick up kitty in the next 30 seconds, he is gonna delete this. Have a good weekend all.

Oh WOW sorry to hear abour your experience. I hope you continue in your weight loss efforts. I too had an infection, but the doc said it was under my port, bending over was REALLY painful. I have been on 20 days of antibiotics and NSAIDS. I am keeping an eye on it, because if it does not get better, doc will remove the port. How did you know you had an infection, did you have pain? I too don't wish to return for more surgery. Let us know how you are doing, we are here for support.

I had a very large lump at the port site where I felt intense pain. I had cat scans and an ultrasound which showed nothing. My Dr. was able to aspirate some infected Fluid from the site and sent me right to the hospital. I think the hardest part right now is that I have an open wound that I have redressed every day and that is a constant reminder. I think that when it closes up I will better handle the situation. I hope you do well and that the infection stays away. Good luck in your journey. Mine is not over yet I just don't know what direction to head in right now.