Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

so i have been naughty

Have you cheated on what your doctor told you to eat?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Have you cheated on what your doctor told you to eat?

• yes it wont hurt me
    • no way i am scared to death
    • yes but not straying to far from the diet

Hey, I don't blame you at all. I am 1 week post-op and I am so hungry and fatigued, I was dreaming about a chicken quesedilla this morning and my husband called me and woke me up!

For me the surgery and this process is pretty brutal, but I know it will be worth it. I agree with the previous poster that I want to do everything by the book. I risked my life to have this band put in me and as much as it hurts to be on liquids with the crap white tongue taste, ketosis or thrush or whatever it is, and all the burping, being unable to sleep comfortably, in a couple weeks I will be on my way to something bigger and better (actually smaller and better!)

Just try and limit your bad foods and of course chew thouroughly if necessary!

For the mushie stage my doctor allowed egg beaters, low fat cottage cheese (I used one that had chive), low fat ricotta cheese, shredded chicken or tuna with low fat mayo (I've since discovered using low fat laughing cow is way better. Also you can add herb seasoning to make it more interesting). I was in this stage for 1 week. Personally, sure it's a hassle but it's only one week. Also I was allowed to have smooth Soup. I really really like Roasted Red Pepper with Tomato Soup (esp Pacific Brand). Tastes great with Mrs Dash chicken Flavored Seasoning. Add it in before heating up in the micro; So YUMMY.

I know you don't want to hear it but the post op diet is only for a short time.

I think if you watch the Lap Band Surgeries on You Tube you will get an idea of why doctors dont' want your stomach grinding away in there. They only put a couple stiches to hold the band in place.

Tsaleen,

The book my doc gave me to take home from surgery had some recipes in it and one was for a chicken quesadilla. It goes something like this.

Take one chicken quesadilla and chop it up. Stick it in the blender with hot chicken broth and puree. Add more chicken broth to thin as needed.

<shudder>

I couldn't answer because "No, because I care about myself and realize that I do NOT know more than my doctor. That is how I got fat in the first place." was not one of the choices.

i couldn't answer because "no, because i care about myself and realize that i do not know more than my doctor. That is how i got fat in the first place." was not one of the choices.

sorry but sometimes even doctors don't know shit i am one of those people that was miss diagnosed for over 20 years cause of doctors cause of them i can't have children. So yes some doctors know what the hell they are talking about and some haven't a clue

And the "no, I'm too scared" option wouldn't have worked? :smile2:

None of the above. I'm a rule-follower, but not because I'm scared. I follow the rules because I trust my doctor, and know he has good reasons for his recommendations.

Now that I'm many months out of the starting gate, I do tailor things to fit my life best; my doctor knows this and is fine with it.

But during the initial healing phase? I was 100 percent compliant, 100 percent of the time. (Heck, I'm still 100 percent compliant 99 percent of the time!)

I know puree foods are not always the best looking dishes. However after working 6 years as a cook in a nursing home I learned some tips to make them a little better. Whatever meat you are pureeing use that kind of broth(not water) chicken broth in chicken of turkey, beef broth in beef or you can use the low fat gravy in a jar for the liquid. If you get them to thin use some instant potatoe powder to thicken them back up. Use plenty of seasoning. We even went to the extreme sometimes of putting the puree in a pastry bag and made the food back to it original shapes. I know it is still not the same , but it is only temporary. Somethings don't have to be pureed to qualify for the mushy stage...Grits. oatmeal, potaotes, cottage cheese, yogurts, applesauce,banana's, Jello and creamed Soups. Campbells has a large variety of creamed soups. I had cream of shrimp yesterday and it was good. I know we are not prfect and I did take a few bites of regular food before I read all these post and after thinking about what some of them said have decided it is not worth a "maybe" to eat food. I tried it my way for 39 years, so why not try it the docs way for a while, after all I have lost 40 pounds his way...Good Luck to you all..

And the "no, I'm too scared" option wouldn't have worked? :smile2:

No, it wouldn't have. I am not afraid of anything.

Lacking discipline is what makes most of us fat, disgusting, repulsive slobs in the first place. At some point we all must make the realization that we don't know what is best for us and trust the people that we went to for help in the first place.

Lacking discipline is what makes most of us fat, disgusting, repulsive slobs in the first place. At some point we all must make the realization that we don't know what is best for us and trust the people that we went to for help in the first place.

Wow...I have to say that I never thought of myself or other fat people as 'disgusting, repulsive slobs'. I hope as I move towards, and attain, my correct weight that I never think that way of those still struggling to control their eating.

I disagree about people being fat because they lack discipline. This is mainstream's society's view of why we're fat. They believe we are lazy and weak, lacking in willpower. If that was true, then why do so many successfully go on diets and lose their excess weight, sometimes taking a year or two to do so, only to gain it all back? I know quite a few people who've done this.

I know a number of people who are incredibly disciplined in every area of their life except when it comes to food.

Some people are emotional eaters. They turn to food when they feel stressed because it comforts them. For some people it's an addiction, just like gambling or drinking. Some are always 'hungry' and it's not head hunger but actual physical, stomach growling hunger.

The truth is that fat people are no different than than the slender people in our society. It's just our particular demon can't be hidden.

who pissed on your grave? geez you are heartless. you obviously don't understand about overweight people. you are grouping them all together. you can't do that you don't know what happened in their lives. WHY WERE YOU FAT?

Perhaps you were/are a disgusting repulsive slob, but I am not. Nor have I ever been. I am certainly overweight, but I have never believed myself a disgusting or repulsive slob.

Nor am I incapable of knowing what is best for me. I am an educated, self supporting, self relying woman capable of intelligent thought. I trust my surgeon not because I don't trust myself, I trust him because I do trust myself. I have spent years researching WLS and surgeons. I didn't choose the first I met, nor the second. I chose the one that I believed, based on a lot of different criteria, would do the best job for me. I could only do that if I trusted myself to make intelligent, well educated decisions.

Perhaps you should stop projecting your insecurities and poor self image onto others and find a way to show yourself, and those you interact with, some compassion and acceptance.

Edited by MellieW