Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Found a way to cheat! BAD ME!

Okay I know it is not good to cheat but my head is saying you need a coke... you want a coke.. doesn't that coke smell good..ummmy..

Well, I was at Sams club and the kids were running around acting a fool and I could not find the baking goods.AHHH

Anyway after walking down 100 isles I was in need of a drink. NOT thinking I picked up my daughters frozen coke and took a big and I mean big gulp!! Before I could catch myself I was standing there with this dumb look on my face like I just committed a crime..

My husband's face said it all.. He said "honey there is no carbonation in a frozen coke, they just use ice and syrup".

So since this accident I have cheated and had 2..

Lets just say they were so good.

I just wish I could find a diet frozen coke???

There is no "cheating" - just more and less nutritious choices.

So, you chose sugar Water... twice. Big whoop. :rolleyes:

Bet you'll do it again, too. But I doubt you'll want to live on them.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it tasted good! I'm also glad it wasn't carbonated, so you didn't experience something awful with a great big gulp!

Yeah I found them too...only had about four sips so far but somedays I still want to rip someones face off for a coke...that does the trick!

Ginger,

The reason that I sometimes sound brutal is that I am dense...and don't "get" subtle messages. So I'm going to--foolishly and without her permission--try to paraphrase Donali, in case anyone else processes information the way I do.

When we talk about "cheating" and "being bad," we are inadvertantly admitting that we are playing games instead of dealing with why we are making the choices we are making. I know someone (not me--really!) whose approach to is to "confess" that she's been "a bad little girl," and then her husband actually babytalks and tells her something along the lines of "you had a 'bery' bad day and it's not your fault and maybe we should have some ____ (fill in the blank)." Well, isn't that special? Meanwhile, he still leaves the house at 4:00 a.m. when he could wait until about 7:00 to leave, and he still works every Saturday he isn't golfing (he's management, so he's not making extra money for all of this), and he still works even though he could retire and they would be just fine and she is so lonely she could die...so she's 5'1" and 300+ pounds and killing herself with food and he's telling her it's okay.

One of the things I'm working on is making an honest appraisal of why I'm making the choices I'm making. (I don't know even half the time...like I said, I'm working on it.) But I have to omit the concepts of "being bad" or "cheating," because if I use that language, I'm playing a little game instead of getting to the root of the problem.

Did I make any sense here? Probably not. But if I did, and you're in the mood, join me! Once in a while, I find myself thinking, "I'm eating like a maniac because I'm going out to lunch with Kathy and her mom (whom I haven't seen in 40+ years) and I'm nervous." Then I get to decide if I really want to eat the junk. (In this particular case, I did. But at least I knew why, and didn't call myself names and berate myself. I just said, "I'm comforting myself with food. Next time I have a lunch date, I think I'll go sit in the hot tub before I go.")

Sue

*who drinks carbonated Water almost all day*

Hi everyone,

Sue, well said! I was told at the meeting before the surgery of every posible way of "cheating" (liquid calories, drinking Water with every bite, etc). At the time I didnt understand why they were telling me that! was outraged! But then thought about it and it makes sense, because this is a tool to help me achieve what has been unachievable all my life, but it is still my responsibility to get there; I am the one to chose how fast, if at all, to lose the weight.

I havent had a fill yet and wont be having one until the end of january (had my surgery nov 1). What I find amusing(?), revealing I guess, is the fact that in different occasions my body reacts different to food. I dont know how much restiction, if any, I have now. But some times a chicken nugget makes me feel so full, and other times I have a 'normal' serve of food ( still half of what i used to eat) and feel "empty". And well, the "empty" feeling is what makes me eat, and that hunger is not stopped by the stomach, new or old ( haven't tested this, but im sure if it gets too full ill return the overflow, hope i never get there....). And I know that I have to deal with that. Just dont know how.

Now, Diet coke. Why cant you drink diet coke? I was also given instructions on how to start back on it. The nurse told me to drink it flat at first, then mix half flat half fizzy and see how i felt, and then start drinking fizzy drinks again, which i did yesterday ( had a whole glass of diet coke with lots of ice ( 40 degree day in melbourne) and was heavenly. Can someone explain to me what can happen with diet coke? is it different for every doctor like with the diets and liquid stages? Thanks.

tellie

Tellie,

If you're in Melbourne, Australia, you have doctors who are far more experienced than the US doctors. One thing I have found for sure is that US doctors (some of whom have done a half dozen bands) have made up all kinds of rules and diets which the surgeons who have placed hundreds and even thousands of bands haven't needed. It is bizarre.

Here's my take...I think band patients are to the surgeons like driving teenagers are to the parents. Your first kid has to meet all kinds of criteria and keep up his/her grades and get home on time and wash the car and not eat in the car and on and on. Your fourth kid gets his/her license and you throw them the keys and forget to worry until they are two or three days late. That's why, IMHO, US doctors are so cautious. They're new at it and almost know what they're doing. (When in doubt, go to the Inamed book.)

Sue

I thought that 7-11 was selling diet coke ICEE's, but I found the ICEE web site and they don't list diet coke as a product:

http://www.icee.com/

But, they do have nutritional information and yes it is pretty much all fructose corn syrup... but the calories are less than 100 for 8 oz.

Ingredient Statement:

Coca-Cola classic Syrup (high fructose corn syrup and/or sucrose, Water, caramel color, phosphoric acid, natural flavors, caffeine), quillaia and yucca extract.

All ingredients are used in accordance with food Additive Regulations and appropriate GRAS listings.

Nutrition Information:

Serving Size 8 Fluid ounces (240mL)

Calories 65

Carbohydrates 18 g

Sodium 1 6 mg

Potassium 2 0 mg

Phosphorous 27 mg

Caffeine 15 mg

Vitamin C 0 mg

Aspartame 0 mg

Saccharin 0 mg

Protein 0 g

Fat 0 g

I am not trying to encourage you to do things you don't feel right about, but sometimes for me it helps if I give myself permission and plan around the things I really want.

Good luck!

I'm suprised the calories are so low...

You know how I view it...I wasn't a big Coke freak...when I drank soda I always drank diet...unless of course I was driving past Mc Donald's and was wanting for a Coke...that is the only time I drank it...

For me if I have a frozen coke once a month...or a milk shake at that...it isn't going to kill me...I make good enough decisions daily to keep up my loss. Regardless, it is still going to be less than I would have eaten before...even with a frozen Coke.

My sister and her fiancee's family made Christmas Cookies the other week...I told my Mom to save me some...she said, "You can't have cookies...your losing weight." I said to hell with that...if I want a damn cookie I'm going to have one...the only difference now is that I won't eat a dozen...I may have two...regardless there were none left when I went home...or any that I would like...so...no Cookies for me...

I'm very fortunate I'm not a big junk food eater...I like sweets once and a while and rarely eat chips...actually my ex-fiancee would get upset when I went grocery shopping because I never bought any "food"...apparently whole grains, vegetables, fruit, and dairy are not food...

I know alot of women, most of my friends included are demonized by sweets...that has to be hard...I know when I get in that rare mood it consumes my mind...I used to be like that with bread, Pasta, anything with carbs until I was diagnosed Insulin Resistant and went on glucophage...then my cravings stopped...well I haven't taken glucophage for 6 weeks...today is my 6 week bandiversery...and haven't craved carbs much at all...actually I'm rarely hungry and it is more of a challenge for me to eat three meals a day (yes I'm a skipper - bad me - working on this).

My toughest vice is coffee...no longer can drink caffienated which isn't a big deal...I drink it for the taste not the buzz...the only problem this causes is I need to remember to get that Water in...

I have no clue what the point of this post was...oh yeah...the band is my little tool and I'm going to eat what I want in moderation...

Okay, you all have great points! And Sue as always you are right about making the CHOICE. I should reward my self with a treat once in a while. Everyone should!

I do stick to the 70 grams of Protein a day and try to skip foods that will not fill me up or don't have Protein in them.

Every Doctor or dietitian is so different. I love hearing what other doctors or dietitians are telling other lap bands..

I was told no cokes--maybe never again

No red meat of any kind -1 year

No bread-1 year.

That is hard! I can deal without the bread. Red meat is so high is protein but takes 12 hours to digest. I'd love to have a hamburger somedays if I'm out running around, but I choose chicken. Its a choice!

I was a diet 7-up drinker. I could go all day drinking only diet 7-up. After surgery I wanted a pop a few times but got over it.. 2 weeks ago when I had my first sip..Oh I so missed it!

Do I regret it??? HELL NO!

It was good. A little too sweet.. A little to cold going down. But it was COKE!

When I said I've had 2, I should have said my kids have had 2 and I have shared a drink here and there!

Will I do it again?

YES!

Everyday?

NO!

The band is my little tool and I'm going to eat what I want

in MODERATION.....

What a great QUOTE..

Happy Holidays Everyone!

FYI - I know for sure that red meat thing is an RNY rule. I bet it is just one of the many that got automatically transferred to the band by those docs who are used to doing the RNY. I had not heard of that "rule" about red meat until well after I had been banded, and I've never heard the bread "rule" until now. lol

I eat both. Love that red meat, even though I am a vegetarian at heart... :sick

See that is what I mean every doctor or dietitian.

Funny thing is that at the start the dietitian said that Wendy's chili was great for the mush stage. So I wrote that down. Then she back tracked to say oh well you can have red meat so don't eat there Chili..

CRAZY!