Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questons re: Panniculectomy...

Hello,

I'm consulting w/ plastic surgeons now and would like to know if any of you have had the panniculectomy done w/o the Tummy Tuck?

Did you like the results? Probably stupid question... did you see noticipable results?

I believe that I'd be happy with the panni removed, as I told one surgeon, I'm not 20 any more and don't have visions of wearing low rise jeans and tube top (yes, clearly telling my age). I believe I have realistic expectations. All I want is to not have this thing sitting on top of my pubic area any longer.

Thanks in advance for your response.

I paid for a TT but ended up with a paniculectomy...Darn PS said he couldn't tighten my muscles because of my port. Jerk. I am a lot older than you and my skin is saggy in the midriff but the tummy itself is GONE, so that is a big YIPPEE!!!

Good luck,

Mimi

I'm at the same point you are. I am having the panni in December. Just waiting on a date now.

I'm not expecting a 6 pack either. I just want to be able to wear jeans that aren't way too big for me or have this thing bouncing around when I exercise.

I have been approved by ins for the panniculectomy. The PS told me it would be $6000 out of pocket above what the ins is paying for the panni for a TT. I just don't have it and can't afford the payments so it will just be the panni for now. I think even if I had the cash I would rather have my arms done than a TT because the arms are so visible and my muffin top is not too big and more easily disguised (and will ALWAYS be covered:blushing:). I would love to hear from any who have had the panniculectomy only as I have found very little to no info or pictures on the 'net, but a lot about the TT.

Thanks so very much for your responses. Congratulations Mimi, I only hope to have a saggy tummy.

I'm going for consult #2 tomorrow. My insurance will pay for the panniculectomy but not a Tummy Tuck, which I'm not sure is what I'd want and really don't have the cash to spare and don't want to finance at this point.

I have my third and final consult next week w/another surgeon and hope to make a decision w/plans to have this done right after the holidays. The insurance rep suggested I have it done before the new year to eliminate the cost of the deductible - it's food for thought...

I won't mind my tummy being lose as long as I get rid of this mound of flesh dangling - weight loss coupled with carry to 8+ pound babies as done the stomach in.

Btrieger, please let me know how it goes. If you don't mind, how many consults did you have?

Maggiesmom, I'm in the same boat and totally understand how you feel as I've searched hi and lo for information.

Wishing us all continued success in both the LB journey and this second phase.

Edited by Cherishthepast
word corrected

Btrieger, please let me know how it goes. If you don't mind, how many consults did you have?

I met with 3 plastic surgeons. The consultations were free; they all provided quotes and assured me there would be no hidden costs.

I am having an umbilical hernia corrected simultaneously and insurance covers that 100%. So, the quotes were between $4,870 and $5,250.

All 3 came highly recommended and were very personable.

I went with the first one I talked to because he required I stay the first night. The others treat it as out-patient surgery and I think that shows a little less caring about my well-being than I am comfortable with.

Surgery will be in December. The PS and general surgeon are coordinating when they can do me together. Hopefully, I will have a definite date by Friday.

I met with 3 plastic surgeons. The consultations were free; they all provided quotes and assured me there would be no hidden costs.

I am having an umbilical hernia corrected simultaneously and insurance covers that 100%. So, the quotes were between $4,870 and $5,250.

All 3 came highly recommended and were very personable.

I went with the first one I talked to because he required I stay the first night. The others treat it as out-patient surgery and I think that shows a little less caring about my well-being than I am comfortable with.

Surgery will be in December. The PS and general surgeon are coordinating when they can do me together. Hopefully, I will have a definite date by Friday.

I've seen 2 surgeons, just left the office of the second and was very disappointed in the office staff and wasn't pleased with what the surgeon considers a panniculectomy. Unlike the first surgeon (referred by LAP-BAND® doc), who would remove ALL the excess flab and pull the pubic area up when closing the incision; the surgeon I saw today would only take a VERY conservative approach and remove only about 2 inches of skin - why bother?

Sorry, I'm venting... I see the 3rd person next week and will then make my decision.

Please post when you have your date. Again, thanks!

I just had a panniculectomy this past Monday 20th. So far I am happy with it. I just wish he could have done the TT as I wanted it done. But he told me that the Lap Band port was in the way and he would not touch that. I am in compression garments for 4 weeks and doing well. I was cut from hip to hip for the Panni with one drain. He did not have to move my belly button and I did not stay over night. I was given the choice to stay but I hate over night stays at hospitals, can't rest!!!! If you have any questions give me a shout!:rolleyes2:

Hi, Win!

So glad you are up and about after your surgery! All details are appreciated. My panni is scheduled for 10/13/10 and I am excited / scared. Only one drain? How much did he remove? Did they take pictures? Is the compression garment difficult to on and off? When do you go back for your first check-up? Too many questions, I know.:rolleyes2: But I am dying for information! Thanks! And hope you have an easy recovery!:thumbdown:

Hi Win,

I have LOTS of questions; pretty much the same questions as Maggiesmom. I may also ask a few others once you've answered the initial questions posted.

Thanks for sharing.:rolleyes2:

Tell us about the pain. How much does it hurt on a scale of 1 to 10.

I will try and answer all of your questions...

Cost - FREE, insurance covered it. But I had to have reason besides hanging skin. I was having trouble with rash in summer.

Pain - I had my surgery done Monday morning at 10:00, took no pain meds in hospital (they kept asking me). I have taken 1 1/2 pills since I have been home, today is Wednesday evening. I have a VERY HIGH PAIN LEVEL, which is good since I have had over 50 kidneys stones in the last 25 years!!! It is more uncomfortable then pain. The pressure garmets SUCK!!! I have one drain which feels like it is pulling all of the time, but I keep checking it and nothing is pulling on it???? I have to empty the drain several times aday, ugh!

They told me to keep stupped over like a little old woman for a week so there is no pulling on the incision site. I have been sleeping on the sofa, esasier to get up and use the restroom. My appitite is good, too good! I stepped on the scales but didn't see any weight loss??? They took about 4inches of hanging skin off clear across by belly. I don't think they took pictures, but my husband did before I had surgery. NO I AM NOT POSTING PICTURS, SORRY, JUST SOME THINGS I WON'T DO ON THIS COMPUTER! I go back on the 30th of Sept. to have the drain removed and just general check from surgeon. I hope this anwers some of your questions. If I have missed some just ask. Oh, yes, I WOULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN!:smile2:

I got a date for a panniculectomy but now was told that my port may have to be changed to a smaller one before the panniculectomy. i have to pay for the

panniculectomy because the insurance don't cover it after 3 appeals and 5 doctor leters. Is it true that the port has to be changed? i keep hitting a brick wall,,,,,,,, help

I just had a Panniculectomy this past Monday 20th. So far I am happy with it. I just wish he could have done the TT as I wanted it done. But he told me that the Lap Band port was in the way and he would not touch that. I am in compression garments for 4 weeks and doing well. I was cut from hip to hip for the Panni with one drain. He did not have to move my belly button and I did not stay over night. I was given the choice to stay but I hate over night stays at hospitals, can't rest!!!! If you have any questions give me a shout!:rolleyes2:

I got a date for a panniculectomy but now was told that my port may have to be changed to a smaller one before the panniculectomy. i have to pay for the

panniculectomy because the insurance don't cover it after 3 appeals and 5 doctor leters. Is it true that the port has to be changed? i keep hitting a brick wall,,,,,,,, help

I am scheduled for a panniculectomy 5/24/11, how are you doing thus far?

My panni is scheduled for May 3 2011, can't wait for the extra skin is removed. its cost about 7000 all together

in the hospital and out patient. Has anyone seen a smaller waist ? do you see a difference?

How long was it before you were able to move around? lots of pain?

I am scheduled for a panniculectomy 5/24/11, how are you doing thus far?