Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why am I starting to doubt myself now?

I have read all the posts where people are days from getting lapband and all of the sudden start to freak out. Well I am becoming one of those people. I am scheduled to have my surgery on Tuesday the 21st and all of the sudden I am a nervous wreck and I am thinking this is such a life altering thing am I really ready for this? Is this just normal presurgery jitters I mean do most people start to doubt themselves this close to surgery? I hate that I am doing this to myself it makes me a nervous wreck!!

Melissa

I think anytime you do something this serious it can make you nervous. I know before I had all my kids it made me extremely nervous. Though I haven't had the surgery yet. I can almost guarentee I will be wondering the same thing when I'm as close as you are.

Trust in the reasons you decided to have this surgery. You are doing this to get healthy and make your life better. Have faith in your decision and look forward to all the progress you will have in the future.. Relax...

I will be getting my band on 9/27 so I know what you mean about begining to question yourself but the way I see it you are the only one who knows if your ready or not. As for me, I only wish I would have done it 15 years ago. I'm so looking forward to having a tool to help me do what I want to do. Lose weight be healthy and feel better! So I'll be watching for you and your and my weight to be droping to our goals! Good luck As I tell my girls, Put you big girl panties on and lets go! :thumbup:

Thanks for the support!! I know this is the right thing for me I am just thinking of how my life will change and it is kinda like getting ready to loose a crutch. I have only told a few people and one of those people said what if you want to just go pig out after surgery you wont be able to. I said how do you think I got this way I dont want to have that sick feeling of eating way too much anymore. I just have to remember why I am doing this and stop letting myself think about what I am gonna miss out on.

Melissa

I'm a one time a day eater.. I go all day without eating and then it hits me that I'm VERY hungry. I pig out and then I'm good for the rest of the day.. I know this is not healthy and in a lot of ways surgery will also fix my problem. I don't think I will miss it because I won't be staving myself and then pigging out. It's a process. I know i will miss certain foods but I look at it like this. Eating a whole cheesecake could take me about 30 minutes. If I eat one slice of the cheese cake and make it last 30 minutes I will enjoy it the same.. I hope this helps..

I know exactly how you feel. Almost two years ago I was on the operating table to be banded and called the surgery off. Now, there were a few things happening all at once, like I was kept waiting for hours and all kinds of problems. Mostly, I said I didn't need anything to calm me before surgery. Mistake. Take what they offer. Since that time I still haven't had the surgery, but am making the plans to go ahead now. I regret calling off my surgery, but you have to make up your own mind.

Good luck and don't forget to take the meds they offer.

--Chris:smile2:

Eating a whole cheesecake could take me about 30 minutes. If I eat one slice of the cheese cake and make it last 30 minutes I will enjoy it the same.. I hope this helps..
Great philosophy, Kris! I like it!

I too am scheduled for surgery this coming week. I started this journey on the 26th of Sept of LAST year. I have been adamant that this is the right thing for me, and I have been comfortable with my decision. But now, with it being so close to becoming a reality, the second-guessing has begun. I KNOW deep down in my heart that this is the right choice for me. But I think it's just natural for have the second thoughts.

Good Luck to you and I'm sure you will make the right choice in the end. :thumbup:

Great philosophy, Kris! I like it!

I too am scheduled for surgery this coming week. I started this journey on the 26th of Sept of LAST year. I have been adamant that this is the right thing for me, and I have been comfortable with my decision. But now, with it being so close to becoming a reality, the second-guessing has begun. I KNOW deep down in my heart that this is the right choice for me. But I think it's just natural for have the second thoughts.

Good Luck to you and I'm sure you will make the right choice in the end. :thumbup:

I was soo glad to find these posts, my surgery is scheduled for Weds and I am having such anxiety I'm obsessing. I'm worried, I'm doubting, but I know deep down I can't live the way I have been. But it's nice to know that I'm not alone. I'm picturing walking into the hospital and then turning around and walking right back out! I think now that it's my time I feel like everyone else was sooooo cooool about it, sooo brave, I am ashamed to be such a scaredy cat! I don't have a heck of alot of support at home, which makes it a little more frustrating as I can't really discuss my doubts. I wish someone could go with me and hold my hand!:thumbup:

Highlojack-

Look at this way: we are holding eachother's hands. Maybe not literally, but in thought. We are in this together and need eachother to be successful. While my husband says he's okay with me having the surgery, he isn't the most considerate of my feelings right now. Don't get me wrong, he's a wonderful guy and I love him dearly, but he just doesn't understand the emotions of it all. It's really nice to be able to talk to others going through the same thing. I'm generally a really strong person, an even I am having doubts and fears right now. I've worked and waited for this for over a year, and I'll be darn if I'm going to back out now! It's the right thing to do. Good Luck to you! I'll watch for your posts so we can stay in touch!

Just calm down,deep breaths,and talk to God about wanting to have a healthier existance with the gifts he has provided...........

I felt the same way the week of my surgery and kept thinking "Am I sure" and then the "what if I fail" - all sorts of things go through your mind.

I will tell all of you, that it has been the SINGLE BEST DECISION I have ever made for myself and has been the one thing that has helped me to lose more weight than I ever have before. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love my band. I have changed my eating habits, but not so drastically that I'm miserable. I actually ENJOY my Protein first and find myself craving it. I don't miss soda pop and I was never one to really drink alcohol, so I don't miss that, either.

Wiggling into a size 16 dress today made it all worth it for me. One day I hope to see a 12. Trust me - the surgery will be over and you will be so happy with the results in about six months or so. :thumbup:

Good luck to everyone and if you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me. I remember being a new bandster and feeling so lost!

Go to General Lap Band Discussions and look at all the before and after pics :thumbup: that is the best motivation I've seen!

Hi

I am getting banded on thursday... and finding myself more and more nervous every day. But I keep telling myself this is a good decision.

But also, my friend just called me, and she went to see my Dr tonight, and she is going in on the same day as me!!!! Yipee! Someone to relate to during that day. And we can cope together. I am so excited about embarking on this exciting journey, and with a friend to help along the way. :thumbup:

I'm with you Kmommy! Nice words...we are in this together and I would not have done it if it wasn't for you!!! See you Thursday honey bunny!

Hi,

I am getting banded tomorrow Sept 21st, 2010 and I am a little bit nervous, not for the surgery itself but for the complications that I am willing to take. I was schedule to have gastric bypass 5 years ago, and the day before I called it off. I said to myself, I can do without surgery and here I am at 280lbs 5 years later. I was considering having gastric bypass again, and my insurance approved it, but again last week I was sooo nervous I couldn't sleep I had a panic attack at work I ended up taking the rest of the day off to calm myself. Thank my hubby for his support, he is simply WONDERFUL. Anyway, after I came home and think about it I decided to have Lap-Band because I am not going to wait another 5 years to realize I need a tool to help me loose the weight. That's how I decided to have Lap-Band. Gastric Bypass is way to drastic for me and I don't have the ***** to do it.

Don't regret to have surgery because is more likely that you will be regreting not having it in the first place.

**Hope you all understand what I am trying to say, English is my second language**