Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

to band or not to band......

I have my meeting with the surgeon next week and then all of my pre op stuff will take place. I was told that the actual surgery could be in about a month or two if I go through all the tests. I am so confused because part of me wants it and part of me is 1-afraid if I get it I will still not lose weight 2-have complications and regret having it 3-feel like a failure because I could not do it on my own. My husband and family is very skeptical of it and I do not need the I told you so's later on. However I am 34-230 pounds 5'2 have tried over and over to lose weight and can not be consistent with it. I guess part of me also is afraid to give the food up because it is my drug of choice. Maybe that is my reistance. I was just wondering how many of you bansters are happy they did it and how many out there..if any regret it and what are the worst things to deal with with the band..thank you!

The only thing I would change about getting the band, would be that I wish I had done it earlier. It was the best decision that I have ever made. I'm loving it.

I was banded on 8/25, I am three weeks out, down 20 lbs, walking 1.65 miles a day in 25 min and am feeling flipping fabulous!!! I have a lot of weight to drop, but I am on my way. This is exactly what I needed and I am happy I have done it.

Do as much research as you can and be 100% sure it's what you want to do. I considered the surgery and researched for over a year before I had it done this past Monday. I didn't discuss the decision with anyone but my husband beforehand and took him with me to a seminar. I didn't want a lot of outside influence on my decision so didn't share with other people until I made my own choice about it. Take your time to decide and make the choice for YOU! I had many of the same concerns you did about success and failure but talked to my primary MD about it all and she really helped make me see that this is a tool not a cure and that I can do it. Good Luck!

Everything you are feeling I think is normal... I had all the same concerns...

I LOVE my band and only wish I could have been able to have it done sooner!

The hardest thing for me now is eating slowy, chewing enough.. etc.... but I've dropped 60 pounds in 4 1/2 months and I'm so excited to see what will happen the next several months!

Best of luck to you... it's ok to be nervous.. and it's definitely the right thing to do by asking questions and making sure this is right for you!!!!

HUGS:smile:

I have my meeting with the surgeon next week and then all of my pre op stuff will take place. I was told that the actual surgery could be in about a month or two if I go through all the tests. I am so confused because part of me wants it and part of me is 1-afraid if I get it I will still not lose weight 2-have complications and regret having it 3-feel like a failure because I could not do it on my own. My husband and family is very skeptical of it and I do not need the I told you so's later on. However I am 34-230 pounds 5'2 have tried over and over to lose weight and can not be consistent with it. I guess part of me also is afraid to give the food up because it is my drug of choice. Maybe that is my reistance. I was just wondering how many of you bansters are happy they did it and how many out there..if any regret it and what are the worst things to deal with with the band..thank you!

Okay very scary that my story is almost the EXACT same as yours this time last year--except I was 36, 5 ft 1.5 in and 231 lbs. My husband really did not want me having the surgery, but left it up to me. I didn't want it to be another diet I failed at. Then in October of last year, my life changed forever when I got my band. Yes, you have to work at it, but I have realized it is the tool I needed all along to help me succeed. Some people can lose it (dieting), the trick is keeping it off and that truly is a life change, a way of life and that is where the band comes in. My co-pilot, my helper, something I needed all along to help me see it through.

Honestly, I am a food addict too, and that is something I still struggle with, but this journey is not about depriving yourself. Do I have an occassional sugar free Water ice or slice of pizza? Yes. Not every day, but I appreciate it so much more on the rare times I do have it. It has become normal for me not to even want it anymore. I can't believe I'm actually saying that!!!

As many will tell you, one of the top regrets is not doing it sooner. It definitely was mine. I actually went out yesterday and bought size M tops, L sweaters and size 8 pants at Express while this time last year I was in a size 20 and thinking this would be another failed attempt at turning my life around.

Believe me, it's all worth it--it's been an incredible journey! Good luck to you on your decision and feel free to lean on this board for support--it has been such a helpful resource and pick me up for those times when I really needed it!!!!

I am with the general population on this - my only regret has been waiting until I was 38 to fix what has been the major problem in my life for 2 decades!!!

Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels - is that the quote? Honestly I was worried about not being able to eat certain things again (my biggest was sparkling Water - I was an addict) - but really, I don't even care anymore.

JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all for your comments. It seems as most are really happy they did it! I will take it a step at a time. Next step meeting with doc. I have already done the seminar and I know my insurance covers without a prior medically supervised diet.

After 10 months I no longer say 'just do it'. Some people just won't be successful with the band because the band isn't the right tool to deal with their particular issues with food...or they just don't have the patience to deal with getting to the sweet spot or the difficulties that vary from day to day with the band (sometimes too tight, sometimes not).

If you're a compulsive eater, the band will (when it's working effectively and that can take months) most likely not help. Yes, it will control how much you can put in your mouth at one sitting, but if you wait an hour or two, you can eat again. Drink Water with your meals and you'll most likely slide your food right through and be able to continue eating.

If you're a sweet eater, the band won't stop you from eating sweets or even making wrong choices.

As I've discovered in the last 10 months, if you really want to lose weight, you will have to diet and you will have to exercise or at least increase your activity significantly. You may get some initial weight loss without either of these things, which will most likely be dependent on how overweight you are to start with, but at some point it's back to the old grind.

What the band will do is *help* you to eat moderate portions and feel satisfied *but* only when you hit restriction. If you're looking for something that will let you eat pretty much the way you do now and still lose a lot of weight...then consider the bypass. However, keep in mind that even it will only help with some of your weight loss. According to the seminars I attended, gastric patients lose 2/3 of their weight just by virtue of the surgery but that last third requires dieting and exercise.

I'm not trying to convince anyone not to get banded...but you really need to think about your particular eating issues and decide whether the band will help. It's a tool, not a magic wand.

Totally agree with you. Took me a year to decide and the BIG thing is you need emotional and practical support from you near and dear ones. I was banded a week ago today and have my husband 100% on board with me. It's NOT the easy option but the best long term one. I didn't want to die trying to lose weight the way I have tried over the last 30 years! I have lost 7kg (15 pounds +-) since starting on the preop diet to now. I also did a huge of amount of finding out on the internet so I knew the good the bad and the ugly of banding. Good luck

I was banded in Apr this year and could not be happier

The only thing I would change about getting the band, would be that I wish I had done it earlier. It was the best decision that I have ever made. I'm loving it.

I agree. I wish I had done it much sooner!

The most important thing I have learned about the band (mostly by reading it here on this forum again and again and again) is that the lapband is a TOOL. It does not work miracles and it only works if you work it. So, should you decide to get the band, help your family understand that it is a TOOL and that it works in conjunction with behavior changes that are separate and apart from the band.

I am not only a compulsive eater, but I am also a sweet eater. THE BAND STILL WORKS FOR ME. It works because I know that being a compulsive eater isn't like being 5'8" tall -- that's something that I cannot change. Being a compulsive eater IS something that I can and have changed. I see a therapist that specializes in eating/food disorders. She has helped tremendously. I have learned to make CHOICES. And, any compulsive eater that can wait 2 hours to act compulsively isn't compulsive. LOL

Initially, you do diet and exercise because you have to in order to lose the weight. Eventually it becomes a lifestyle change. You change the way you have always done things because you learn that by doing so you get the desired effect. I never feel like I am dieting when I eat. But I eat sooooo much less than I ever did in my life ... AND I AM SATISFIED. That's how this TOOL works. It helps you to get to where you want to be and stay there.

Best thing I ever did for myself; wish I had done it sooner!

Read, read, read this forum. You will get every possible opinion and experience, then DECIDE WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU.

All the best to you on your journey.

~F