Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery Question

Just wondering how every one did the day after surgery. Were you able to move slowly about your own house or did you actually need someone to help with everything? I'm debating whether or not I need to ask my Mom to come down or if I'll be OK the next day when my husband goes back to work. Thanks!

Hey Allie,

Everyone is different, mostly depending on how well you tollerate pain. Not saying there will be a lot of pain, but there is some. If your mom is handy, you might ask her to spend the day with you, just to see how you do. Actually, the third day post-op was the worst for me, but it was still not that bad. Walk as much as you can, as it relly does help with the pain. make sure you have Gas-X strips as you will probably have gas pains. Dr will give you a RX for pain meds, but most only use them a day or two. I think you'll be ok.:smile:

I had my Mom around for a few days, although it probably wasn't neccessary. I agree with the above post, ask your mom to spend a little time with you. It can't hurt.

The first night I needed help to sit up in bed. After the pain meds wore off, I woke up and could not get myself upright. I had to wake my hubby to get me more meds and help me to sit up to take them. Otherwise I was fine getting around the house.

If it is convenient for your mother to come, it couldn't hurt to have help. But if not, you should be OK. Mainly changing from prone to seated positions is the hardest part, and I could do that after that first night.

I was released from the hospital the day of my surgery. If you are doing an overnight you probably won't have much trouble.

I was able to move around very slowly without help. I did stay overnight and when i got home the next day all I did was sleep!!! I had to sleep in a recliner for about 4days because it hurt to lay flat. Once I was home the only pain meds I took were Extra Strength Tylenol(I struggled more with nausea than pain). I tried the GasX strips but they weren't strong enough so I took the pills(they are small and very easy to swallow).

If your mom is nearby I think it would just ease your mind a bit to have her around the day after surgery. Everyone is different with how they are after surgery and better to be safe than sorry in my opinion.

I had my surgery yesterday and just got back from the store. It was good to walk around for a bit. Hardest part was getting in and out of the car. Of course I have a very high tolerance to pain so everyone is different.

Only problem I have is bending, and the gas in my shoulder. Other then that all is good =)

Edited by Mandyrae

My hubby had to go back to work the next day too, and I was kinda worried how I would feel so my mom came over for a while and I felt bad because I was totally fine and didn't need much help at all!

The day after I was shopping at walmart!

you girls are fighters! at the stores the next day, wow. I think I might milk it for a while and get all the attention :tongue2: The hubby said he would take off the rest of the week so woo hoo! I felt bad asking him, but he was more than happy too. I can stand him a lot better than my mom :thumbup:

Thanks!!!

Only 86 days!!!

I was fine after mine.. The day I came home I rested a lil, and then went and walked, rested some more then walked.. I didn't have any problems and was fine by myself, but my parents lived next door incase I did need them.

I had an overnight stay in the hospital. Hubby at my side walking every two hours. Went home the next morning and was walking around the neighborhood. Hubby stayed with me and was great with hounding me to get out and about which helped me alot!

Could I have done it without him absolutely, however it was much more fun with him for company.:thumbup: