Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To exercise or not to exercise...

That is a good question... :( Although we all know the benefits of exercise. Does it really make that big of a difference in the amount of weight you lose with the band? :thumbup: Or the amount of time it takes to lose weight? I just wonder, how many of us are sticking to a workout regimine and how many are not and what the weight loss ratio looks like? Just curious... :w00t:

Lets see, for a whole month I worked out and lost about 10 lbs. I didn't work out the next month and lost 6 lbs. I also lost about twice the inches when I worked out compared to not working out. So just by doing this little experiment I found that it is DEFINATELY benificial to work out.

You may still get smaller by not working out but what good are you REALLY doing by just losing weight and not exercizing? The benifits of working out are to improve blood circulation, strengthen the heart, increase muscle tone, increase lung capacity, and strengthen bone density. By not working out, you do not benifit your heart, lungs, muscular or bone structure. Plus, as you lose weight (without exercizing) you are threatening losing muscle tone. Think of it this way... most overweight people have strong legs (because of carrying around a massive quantity of weight). As you lose weight, your legs are not put under as much stress. Therefore, you legs are not getting as good a workout as they used to. (ever hear the saying "use it or lose it") You will begin to lose your muscle tone in your legs due to lack of use.

And that's just my 2 cents... I hope it was helpful!

I totally agree with the above post. Excersise is vital to healthy weightloss. The benefits are just to numerous not to do it. When I've stalled I have increased the intensity of my workouts and the scale has started moving again.

It is very difficult to start a workout regime but once you do it becomes second nature. For those starting out, start out slow and gradually increase the intensity and/or duration.

I currently workout 5 days a week for 1 hour (30 mins cardio and 30 resistance training) I love the effects that I am seeing on my body, the scale is a whole other issue. I know that muscle weighs more than fat and I just wonder if that is why I am not seeing the lose that I would like on the scale?

exercise! For me, it makes me feel awesome about myself and aids in my weight loss efforts. I workout every other day. I've told myself to atleast walk, If I feel like quitting, atleast walk. I've lost 93 pounds since May 1st, 2010!!! I was banded on 5/19/10, and I joined the gym on 6/14/10. Good Luck to us all!!!

Rebecca

I currently workout 5 days a week for 1 hour (30 mins cardio and 30 resistance training) I love the effects that I am seeing on my body, the scale is a whole other issue. I know that muscle weighs more than fat and I just wonder if that is why I am not seeing the lose that I would like on the scale?

"Muscle weighs more than fat" is a bunch of bunk! Muscle does indeed weigh more than fat but there is no way in Hell to build muscle at nearly the rate you burn fat.

Are you doing the same resistance training every day? If so, you have to take a day or 2 off in order for your muscles to relieve themselves of the lactic acid you built during exercise.

Also, how much Water are you consuming daily. You have to make sure to drink at least 64 ounces of Water a day. Water acts as a filter and cleans your system. Also, without enough water, your body starts to retain Fluid.

I remember one month preband where I plateaued for about 2 1/2 weeks but I definately lost inches in the hip area. Remember when you are losing weight you body will also lose lean muscle (esp. heart) if one it's not getting enough Protein and two the musle is not getting used. I notice when I use the elipical instead of swimming (which I prefer) my body burns more calories. I think it goes into panic mode.

Also when I exercise it means I sleep a lot better and they say getting 8 hours of sleep is important to weight loss.

Not sure if this applies to you but many larger gyms have ladies only sections. Some woman feel self conscious at the gym. Me I could careless.

I think absolutely it makes a huge difference in how quickly we lose weight but also in our general appearance regardless of actual number of pounds. I can actually feel muscles in my legs, arms, etc that our there from keeping to a regular exercise routine.

Adkins diet, no exercise, 139 pounds, size 10, quick regain

Band diet, exercise 3X a week, 135 pounds, size 4, regain unknown.

If you exercise whilst you are losing, you will help to make sure that the balance of fat v muscle lost is optimal. You will lose muscle anyway, but you can maintain a healthy body composition by exercising, whereas you can lose weight, be a normal weight and still have an unhealthy composition - its entirely possible to have a 33% body fat measure when you only weigh 120lb, and we've all seen those small but flabby people.

But the real benefits of exercise are on your other areas of general health. Its uplifting emotionally and mentally, you'll be more stable, healthy in a mental sense and capable if you're fit. It will keep you out of the cardiac ward, stave off diabetes, prevent cancer and make any major health issues you do develop easier to deal with.

If you're hanging around waiting to see defninitive proof that exercise is good for you, then you're missing the point. You wont know or feel what you're doing for your body necessarily, you may not appreciate the absence of disease or you may take for granted that you have an operation and you're over it and feeling well in a week. But those benefits will be there. Its like cleaning the toilets or brushing your teeth, just do it and it pays off but it may not be what you feel like doing at the time.

Not exercising is really one of the worst things you can do to your body but if youv'e never known what it is like to be really fit, you dont know what you're missing out on so you dont realise how much better you could feel.

I totally agree, you drastically improve all of your bodily systems by exercising. Our goal is to be healthier, not just thinner.

If your having trobule getting motivated, create a dream board filled with items/possibilites associated with reaching your goal. My dream board contains pictures of cute shoes and dresses and new vacation destinations.

Also, start off slow and build up your endurance...10 mins 2 times a day for a week, 15 mins 2 times a day for a week, 20 mins a day for a week, 30 mins a day for a week etc. Hope this helps, good luck!

Lets see, for a whole month I worked out and lost about 10 lbs. I didn't work out the next month and lost 6 lbs. I also lost about twice the inches when I worked out compared to not working out. So just by doing this little experiment I found that it is DEFINATELY benificial to work out.

You may still get smaller by not working out but what good are you REALLY doing by just losing weight and not exercizing? The benifits of working out are to improve blood circulation, strengthen the heart, increase muscle tone, increase lung capacity, and strengthen bone density. By not working out, you do not benifit your heart, lungs, muscular or bone structure. Plus, as you lose weight (without exercizing) you are threatening losing muscle tone. Think of it this way... most overweight people have strong legs (because of carrying around a massive quantity of weight). As you lose weight, your legs are not put under as much stress. Therefore, you legs are not getting as good a workout as they used to. (ever hear the saying "use it or lose it") You will begin to lose your muscle tone in your legs due to lack of use.

And that's just my 2 cents... I hope it was helpful!

Thanks to everyone for your input!!! :) I really appreciate your advice and opinions and it has been helpful and motivating. I love to exercise as it helps with my mood, and to sleep as well! I am a newbie to all of this and am still trying to learn what I can and can't eat, which seems to change with each fill... :lol: why is that? I am excited and motivated!

God bless us all on this road of change! :blush:

For me personally, exercise makes me feel empowered. The band is awesome but taking control of my own health has been even more awesome! For the first time in my life I actually enjoy working out.

Now get to the gym!:)

Definitely exercise, without a doubt. I used to be the laziest person out there. I'd walk for a week, stop, and maybe walk again in a few months. Now I exercise for 45 minutes each day and I will purposefully schedule things around my exercise. It's crazy how I've made a complete 180. Exercising is something I love doing now.

Even though it can be a pain sometimes, especially with a busy schedule or if you're just feeling lazy that day, it really does help with weight-loss. The good thing is that you can start off with small exercises that don't take up too much time.

Go outside and walk for 15 minutes twice a day. Or buy small 2-3lb dumbbells and walk for 15 minutes using them and then do another 15 minutes of weight-lifting. You don't have to start off running a marathon or doing some insane workout video that lasts an hour. Start little and work your way up.

It really does help improve your body overall. You feel so much better after doing it and you also improve your health internally. Of course the external benefits are great too!