Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Democrats vs republicans

Her dad ought to know:

The New York Post has a story on the Giffords shooting, and her weeping father goes there.

This is apparently exclusive, though you never know with the Post:

Her father Spencer Gifford, 75, wept when asked if his 40-year-old daughter had any enemies.

"Yeah," he told The Post. "The whole tea party."

The dad, who was rushing to University Medical Center in Tuscon, said that politicians constantly faced danger.

"They always get threat[ened]," Gifford cried.

Also, Giffords was a PRO GUN person, so if your going to say that blood is Palin and Bachman's hands because they're pro gun are you also going to say there is blood on Congresswoman Giffords as she is pro gun as well? I was just watching the press conference just now, and the sheriff's department officials said that ambulance's were on scene "Almost immediately, within a few minutes". Maybe you should look at places other than crackpot "news sources" like the dailykos.

from correntewire.com:

UPDATE Gawker has an eyewitness account:

We spoke to an eyewitness, Steven Rayle, who was on the scene at the time of the shooting and helped to hold the suspect down while waiting for police. Here's what he said:

The event was very informal: Giffords had set up a table outside the Safeway and about 20-30 people were gathered to talk to her. The gunman, who may have come from inside the Safeway, walked up and shot Giffords in the head first
, "point blank".
According to Rayle, who is a former ER doctor, Giffords was able to move her hands after being shot.

After shooting Giffords, the gunman opened fire indiscriminately for a few seconds, firing 20-30 rounds and hitting a number of people, including a kid no older than 10 years old. Rayle hid behind a concrete pole and pretended to be dead. When the gunman apparently ran out of ammunition he attempted to flee, but a member of Giffords' staff tackled him. Rayle helped hold the gunman down while waiting for the sheriff to arrive, about 15-to-20 minutes later.
The EMS came about 30 minutes later. Rayle said he was "stunned" by how long it took medical help to arrive

Also posted on freerepublic.com and the atlantic. com

I guess they're all crackpot sources too.

You are so typical of the necons on the right. If something factual (like science, CBO reports, the unemployment numbers) doesn't fit with your views - well then just ignore, dismiss, mock or deflect from the facts.

. The only person with "blood on their hands" is the person who pulled the trigger. You belittle a horrible tragedy by trying to place political blame on someone else. The shooter shot, no one else.

When a drunk driver kills a person we as a society not only hold him reponsible but the bartender who kept serving an obviously drunk person more drinks. That's the same irresponsible behavior from those on the right who started all this hatred of the government and promoting second amendment remedies. They too are responsible and owe this whole nation an apology.

I still stand by my first comment; no one is to blame except the person who pulled the trigger. As for her father, it's too bad he didn't have more information before he made such an ignorant statement. With what is known of this guy, at best he's a democrat, at worst a full fledged left wing psychopath. But still, NO ONE is to blame, except the shooter.

I still stand by my first comment; no one is to blame except the person who pulled the trigger. As for her father, it's too bad he didn't have more information before he made such an ignorant statement. With what is known of this guy, at best he's a democrat, at worst a full fledged left wing psychopath. But still, NO ONE is to blame, except the shooter.

Trust a neocon to shoot the messenger. You don't agree with her father's facts so he is ignornant. What arrogance. What right do you have to call her father, who is privy to information you aren't, ignorant? Her father knows about the threats she receives for her pro-healthcare, pro-choice stance. And what the tea party did to campaign against her. Her office window was smashed. I'm sure there are other things he knows about that haven't been revealed to anyone but the FBI.

And with what is known of this guy - her dad or the shooter (I don't know who you were talking about) - he is at best a democrat and at worst a full fledged psychopath? You would be wrong if you were referring to her father and I doubt the shooter's political party will be revealed but what do you want to bet he has some internet, anti-government rants?

There is plenty of blame to go around for this horrible shooting. And like I said those whose words promote hatred of the government and guns as a remedy share in the blame. It doesn't take much for the unstable to go over the edge and those who are in positions of influence need to choose their words more carefully. But then that would make them politically correct and - horrors - they sure wouldn't want to be that.

Trust a neocon to shoot the messenger. You don't agree with her father's facts so he is ignornant. What arrogance. What right do you have to call her father, who is privy to information you aren't, ignorant? Her father knows about the threats she receives for her pro-healthcare, pro-choice stance. And what the tea party did to campaign against her. Her office window was smashed. I'm sure there are other things he knows about that haven't been revealed to anyone but the FBI.

And with what is known of this guy - her dad or the shooter (I don't know who you were talking about) - he is at best a democrat and at worst a full fledged psychopath? You would be wrong if you were referring to her father and I doubt the shooter's political party will be revealed but what do you want to bet he has some internet, anti-government rants?

There is plenty of blame to go around for this horrible shooting. And like I said those whose words promote hatred of the government and guns as a remedy share in the blame. It doesn't take much for the unstable to go over the edge and those who are in positions of influence need to choose their words more carefully. But then that would make them politically correct and - horrors - they sure wouldn't want to be that.

I'm talking about the shooter, all signs, as of now, point to him being a crazy left winger, mad that she is not liberal enough. As of now, no one, except the father is linking anything to the tea party or and tea party people. I wasn't aware of us holding bar tenders responsible for drunks drinking too much. Personal responsibility, I know libs hate it, but its something that has to find it's way back into our society or we'll continue falling apart. I literally had to read that post like 5 or 6 times to get my head around you saying that. A drunk kills someone and you blame the bartender? Are you kidding me. What if he got drunk at home? Do you blame the Jack Daniels company? Or Grey Goose? I've not heard of any bartenders being help accountable for a drunk killing someone. The most I've seen in that aspect is when a minor kills someone while under the influence, the police will go after whomever they got the alcohol from. Personal responsibility, again. If a 17, 18, 19 year old is capable of making choices on their own, I don't think that anyone should be responsible for their actions except for them. Why are you so against PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY? It doesn't make any sense to me. Will you also want to go after the gun maker and ammunition maker of the weapon and bullets that killed these people? There is not plenty of blame to go around, there is blame on the person who pulled the trigger, period. The only arrogance I've seen is from the people saying that this is something that it is not. To demand an apology from anyone other than the shooter is arrogant, and ridiculous.

I'm talking about the shooter, all signs, as of now, point to him being a crazy left winger, mad that she is not liberal enough. As of now, no one, except the father is linking anything to the tea party or and tea party people. I wasn't aware of us holding bar tenders responsible for drunks drinking too much. Personal responsibility, I know libs hate it, but its something that has to find it's way back into our society or we'll continue falling apart. I literally had to read that post like 5 or 6 times to get my head around you saying that. A drunk kills someone and you blame the bartender? Are you kidding me. What if he got drunk at home? Do you blame the Jack Daniels company? Or Grey Goose? I've not heard of any bartenders being help accountable for a drunk killing someone. The most I've seen in that aspect is when a minor kills someone while under the influence, the police will go after whomever they got the alcohol from. Personal responsibility, again. If a 17, 18, 19 year old is capable of making choices on their own, I don't think that anyone should be responsible for their actions except for them. Why are you so against PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY? It doesn't make any sense to me. Will you also want to go after the gun maker and ammunition maker of the weapon and bullets that killed these people? There is not plenty of blame to go around, there is blame on the person who pulled the trigger, period. The only arrogance I've seen is from the people saying that this is something that it is not. To demand an apology from anyone other than the shooter is arrogant, and ridiculous.

Fox News - another crack pot source? American Renaissance is hardly left wing. Keep thinking she was shot by a left wing radical who didn't think she was liberal enough.

According to a memo obtained by Fox News with information compiled by the Department of Homeland Security and released to state law enforcement officials, Jared Loughner, the alleged shooter of Congressman Gabrielle Giffords, may have been influenced by a pro-white racist organization that publishes an anti-immigration newsletter.

No direct connection, but strong suspicion is being direceted at American Renaissance, an organization that Loughner mentioned in some of his internet postings and federal law enforcement officials are investigating Loughner's possible links to the organization. The organization is a monthly publication that promotes a variety of white racial positions.

"The group's ideology is anti government, anti immigration, anti ZOG (Zionist Occupational Government), anti Semitic," according to the memo which goes on to point out that Congressman Giffords is the first Jewish female elected to high office in Arizona. A recent posting on American Renaissance's website on January 7 begins with an article entitled: "Exit poll: Whites are Different." The site goes on to list anti-immigration articles. Investigators are also pursuing Loughner's alleged anti-Semitism.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has taken command of the investigation.

According to the memo, Federal Judge John Roll's wife told law enforcement that he was not supposed to be at the rally but was called an hour beforehand and decided to attend at the last minute. Roll reportedly ruled on a controversial 32 million dollar civil rights lawsuit in February 2010 that elicited death threats for him and his family resulting in added security detail being assigned to him as a result.

Further, the suspect's mother works for the Pime County Board of Supervisors. The suspect reportedly has at least one arrest, but no criminal record, according to this internal memo based on information as of 6 pm Saturday night. Jared Loughner tried to enlist in the US Army in Dec 2008, according to Pentagon officials and Army records. He was rejected but the Army would not give the reason due to privacy laws. Loughner was arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia in 2007.

Actually I read something about the shooter that said he was very far left and that she wasnt left enough for him because she was once a republican, then said he very possibly wasnt affiliated with a party that he didnt believe in the government. The site has since been canceled(I looked him up right after his name was given yesterday)! I just think the guy was a nutjob and she was very accessible to him. It was planned because he posted that he hoped his friends wouldnt be mad at him! Alot of people including myself believe the hatred in todays politics fueled this tragedy. I dont remember a time of so much hatred in this country! As you see, there are lunatics who believe everything they hear and read! Thanks to the big 4(Rush, Hannity, Beck and especially Palin)!

The Jerusalem Post is saying it happened because she's Jewish. Then went on blabbing about how America has more hatred for Jews than any country in the world. Imagine if we didnt give them 5 bill. plus a year!

Hardly the postings of someone on the far left. Anti-government, anti those who don't speak English, etc.. I can't trust the CURRENT government...

That comes right out the the right wing playbook.

By Robert Anglen and Brennan Smith, The Arizona RepublicThe 22-year-old suspect in the shooting of U.S. Rep Gabrielle Giffords and others at a Tucson grocery is Jared Loughner, who lives in the same city.On MySpace and YouTube web pages, a man who identifies himself as 22-year-old Jared Loughner posted anti-government messages that talk about mind control and suggested he will soon be adopting a new consciousness.

<P class=inside-copy>SHOOTING: Congresswoman shot, at least 6 others killedGABRIELLE GIFFORDS: Who is she?PHOTOS: Images from Giffords' career, the Jan. 8 shootingVIDEO: Latest on Tucson shooting

"Goodbye," Loughner posted on his MySpace account at approximately 5 a.m. Saturday. "Dear friends ... Please don't be mad at me."

Photos on MySpace show a close-up picture of an automatic handgun sitting atop a book or paper titled United States History. This picture is accompanied by several videos posted to Loughner's Youtube account, including one of a masked man burning a U.S. flag and another with the words, "Don't trust the current government, listener!"

It is unclear if Loughner is the person burning the flag in the video.

Additional pictures show a coded message, Loughner on the street and a close-up of his face.

<P class=inside-copy>ON THE WEB: Local coverage from AZCentral.com

On both the MySpace and YouTube web pages, Loughner mentions his concern over literacy rates and the fact that few people speak English. He also talks about his distrust of the government and suggests that anyone can call anyone a terrorist.

"I can't trust the current government because of fabrications," Loughner wrote in a YouTube slide presentation. "The government is implying mind control and brainwash on the people by controlling grammar."

I'm talking about the shooter, all signs, as of now, point to him being a crazy left winger, mad that she is not liberal enough. As of now, no one, except the father is linking anything to the tea party or and tea party people. I wasn't aware of us holding bar tenders responsible for drunks drinking too much.

First, provide proof that the shooter was a crazy left winger. And as for your point about bartenders:

Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 2:00 am | Updated: 8:44 am, Sun Dec 20, 2009. Bartender charged after crash that killed trooper The Associated Press and The Daily Inter Lake Daily Inter Lake | 39 comments

A bartender who served a drunken driver who was responsible for a head-on crash near Somers that killed a Montana Highway Patrol trooper has pleaded not guilty to several misdemeanors.

Flathead County prosecutors say 31-year-old Nathan Hale is charged with negligent endangerment, selling alcohol after hours and selling alcohol to an intoxicated customer.

He is accused of serving 29-year-old fellow employee Travis Vandersloot at the Bigfork bowling alley March 23 before Vandersloot crashed his vehicle into Trooper Michael Haynes' patrol car on U.S. 93.

Vandersloot, of Columbia Falls, died at the scene. Haynes died a few days later from injuries he suffered in the crash.

Also charged is 40-year-old Diane Pickavance, who has not yet appeared on a charge of selling alcohol after hours. She has until Sunday to respond to charges against her.

Pickavance and her family opened Pick's Bowling Center on Montana 82 a year ago.

Haynes was southbound on U.S. 93 north of Somers when Vandersloot, in a Volkswagen heading north in the southbound lanes, struck the trooper's squad car head-on.

Vandersloot had consumed eight pints of beer and two shots in two hours, according to Attorney General Steve Bullock.

Haynes was the third trooper to die in the line of duty in Flathead County in 18 months. Two of the crashes involved drunk drivers.

The 28-year-old Haynes left behind a wife and two young children. Haynes was an aggressive enforcer of DUI laws for the Highway Patrol

His widow, Tawny, has continued his work in bringing attention to the problem of drunk driving and has pushed for tougher DUI laws and enforcement.

Where do I say that I am against personal responsibility? If this shooter is found guilty I think he should get the death penalty. As should the anti-Obama, anti-government, pro-gun guy in Pgh. who assassinated 3 police officers.

Those who play loose with their words and rhetoric and who fan the flames of these deranged individuals also bear responsibility for the actions caused by their inflammatory words.

From the Dakota Voice

Though Leftist blogs and commentators wasted absolutely no time in declaring the gunman who shot Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) was a Tea Party conservative (before anyone even knew his name), I held off on making any comments until a little more was known. It was automatically assumed that, since Giffords was a Democrat and that a (gasp) gun was used, the shooter must be an evil Tea Party conservative type.Now details are starting to trickle in.

Fox News reports his name is Jared Loughner, though some other accounts now say it is Jared Laughner.

Business Insider reports he is an Arizona native and an Afghanistan war vet.

Some of the information coming out about him could fit in the profile of a conservative, but most of it fits the profile of a liberal…if not an outright wackjob that defies political categorization.

Business Insider also reports that his YouTube profile lists some of his favorite books including Animal Farm, Fahrenheit 451, Communist Manifesto, and Mein Kampf. (Though I've read all those, I don't think I'd call ANY of them my favorite).

A WorldNetDaily article quotes someone on Twitter who says they knew him in high school and college, and that he was very liberal, a Leftist.

Another report says one of his videos contains railing about a "second United States Constitution," and something about currency. He says he won't pay debts with a currency not backed by gold or silver, and that he does not trust in God.

Another video below shows him in what appears to be Islamic garb and burning an American flag. That same video also contains an obnoxious heavy metal song that says something about "bodies."

UPDATE

: Though Atlas Shrugs said Fox News stated, others have now pointed out that this particular video was merely one listed as a "Favorite" on the shooter's YouTube profile. The Atlas Shrugs website does still state that the figure in the video is supposedly the shooter (video taken by a friend?).

Still another of his videos talks about mind control and also says that religion is a form of mind control. The video has background music that sounds like a hip-hop version of some sort of Islamic beat.

UPDATE

: CNS News reports a former classmate of the shooter says he was a "pot smoking loner."

UPDATE

: A Tweet from Stars and Stripes (the official newspaper of the U.S. military) earlier stated that Army officials have no record of military service by this individual (it is being alleged that he is an Afghanistan veteran).

UPDATE

: The Arizona Daily Star reports the Army rejected Loughner as a recruit in 2008. Not surprising, given everything that seems to be coming out about this loon. Loughner's definitely been listening to Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin, hasn't he (wink, wink)?

This guy seems to be thoroughly nuts. I don't know of any remotely sane liberal or conservative who would approve of shooting innocent people as he has done. So blaming people who had nothing to do with the crime as Leftists have rushed to do is of limited, at best, genuine value.

However, Leftists do in fact realize that, if they can spit it right and spin it often enough and consistently enough, they hope to successfully brand conservatives and Tea Party patriots as being responsible for this crime. They will (and already are) saying that because conservatives have refused to go along with their socialist agenda, we have been "divisive" and "full of hate" and have thus created a "climate of hostility" that has fostered such crimes.

Never mind that conservatives are always the first to champion the law-abiding cause. Never mind that conservatives are always the first to lift up the value of innocent human life. Never mind that conservatives are always the most reliable advocates of law and order. Never mind that conservatives are always the ones who are toughest on crime.

No, facts and logic are unimportant (are liabilities, really) when liberals see something they believe they can spin to put their ideological enemies at a disadvantage.

Remember when Republicans swept congress in 1994 and the Democrats lost control of the entire congress for the first time in 40 years? They were beside themselves. And when that nutjob Timothy McVeigh bombed the federal building in Oklahoma City, what was the first blame-game played by the Clintonistas and other Leftists: blame the conservatives. Blame Rush Limbaugh and "hate radio." Blame all those evil Right-wingers who refused to acquiesce quietly to their socialist agenda.

Back then, it worked. It stopped the conservative agenda cold, and turned a Republican congress that was finally turning the United States back to its freedom and limited government roots into…a bunch of impotent ninnies afraid of their own shadow, lest someone call them names.

Of course, back then, Fox News was just getting off the ground, there was no real internet community to speak of, no blogosphere and no conservative news conduit. That kind of crap isn't going to fly today. Oh, the Left will definitely try (they already are), but conservatives aren't going to cower in the corner and give up like we did in 1995.

So if you'd like to change your mind and start acting responsibly, you liberals, and blame the person who committed this terrible act, fine. But if you want to shamelessly use the blood of innocent people to fuel your vehicle to try and shut down people you cannot best in an ideological contest of wits, go for it. Show yourselves for the shallow, shameless curs that you are. And get ready to have your nose bloodied bad, because conservatives aren't going to meekly put up with it this time.

My emphasis added.

You show that you are against personal responsibility all the time. From wanting to further the liberal agenda of making more people dependent upon the government instead of themselves, to constantly blaming others for problems and crimes that are committed by an individual. As far as you saying, it's funny that I know someone that knows someone that abused the system, that statement would be wrong. The person who I was talking about is a very close friend. And to be perfectly honest, I don't really blame him for collecting unemployment when he's perfectly capable of finding another job, he'd have to work his butt off to just break even with what the government gives him for free. Why work 2 or 3 crap jobs 40-60 hours a week to break even with the handout your getting?

As for the bartender story, I didn't say it never happened, I said I had never heard of it. Now that I have I've lost even more faith in country. Who would you all have blamed if he had gotten drunk at home and killed someone? The liquor store who sold him too much alcohol for one person to safely drink? Bars and drunks go hand in hand. Bars serve people who are intoxicated, probably more than they serve people who are sober. Have you ever been in a bar? If bars didn't serve intoxicated patrons they would all go out of business. The only thing that bartender should allowed to be charged with is serving alcohol after hours.

I just don't understand the thinking behind blaming someone else for another's actions. About the only time I would agree with holding someone else partially responsible for another's actions is with a child. And I use that term loosely. When a "child" reaches 15 or 16 in most states they can be charged as adult for various crimes, at which point I no longer think we should hold the parents liable. Personal responsibility and accountability, seem to have no meaning to the left, and this case, where before anyone even knew the killers name, and the left was already throwing blame at the tea party is a perfect example.

From the Dakota Voice

My emphasis added.

You show that you are against personal responsibility all the time. From wanting to further the liberal agenda of making more people dependent upon the government instead of themselves, to constantly blaming others for problems and crimes that are committed by an individual. As far as you saying, it's funny that I know someone that knows someone that abused the system, that statement would be wrong. The person who I was talking about is a very close friend. And to be perfectly honest, I don't really blame him for collecting unemployment when he's perfectly capable of finding another job, he'd have to work his butt off to just break even with what the government gives him for free. Why work 2 or 3 crap jobs 40-60 hours a week to break even with the handout your getting?

As for the bartender story, I didn't say it never happened, I said I had never heard of it. Now that I have I've lost even more faith in country. Who would you all have blamed if he had gotten drunk at home and killed someone? The liquor store who sold him too much alcohol for one person to safely drink? Bars and drunks go hand in hand. Bars serve people who are intoxicated, probably more than they serve people who are sober. Have you ever been in a bar? If bars didn't serve intoxicated patrons they would all go out of business. The only thing that bartender should allowed to be charged with is serving alcohol after hours.

I just don't understand the thinking behind blaming someone else for another's actions. About the only time I would agree with holding someone else partially responsible for another's actions is with a child. And I use that term loosely. When a "child" reaches 15 or 16 in most states they can be charged as adult for various crimes, at which point I no longer think we should hold the parents liable. Personal responsibility and accountability, seem to have no meaning to the left, and this case, where before anyone even knew the killers name, and the left was already throwing blame at the tea party is a perfect example.

Where have I said that I want to make more people dependent on the government? I would like everyone to have a level playing field. The opportunity to get health care, go to good schools, get a good education, live in a safe community, find a job that pays enough to live on, etc.. But that is not the case. And I have no problem with helping the least among us. So you know one person who is collecting unemployment that averages about $300/week. Big

effin deal. If he can live off of that, great. Most can't.

Everyone claims to "know someone". And lots of things happen to people through no fault of their own. Someone loses their job and their healthcare, then a medical crisis ensues, and they can't pay their bills and they lose their home. They might be getting unemployment, maybe not. But being unable to pay for medical bills is the number one reason for foreclosure. But the neocons want to repeal healthcare.

And where are all these jobs the unemployed are supposed to get? Oh, I know - a minimum wage job which , btw,might not be around long if the neocons have their way (they are investigating whether the minumum wage is constitutional). Yeah, the unemployed and those making minimum wage - there what's wrong with our country. That's the convuluted thinking of those on the right.

Our legal system blamed the bartender. They believe his actions were partly responsible for the drunk driver. I believe that words have consequences and those that feed the paranoia of the mentally deranged who don't need much provocation are partly responsible. We didn't have all this hatred of the government, all this division until we had the 24/7 hate tv and radio and public figures who promote it, and that Arizona sheriff agrees with me and sheriffs are not known to be liberals. I have listed many, many examples on other threads in this forum of absolutely outrageous, offensive and often dangerous lies that they say. Their listeners don't fact check. The guy who killed the three police officers was armed to his teeth, complete with a bullet proof vest. He believed Obama was going to take his guns. Now where would he get that idea? Not from any liberal.

The only person I have seen mention the tea party was Gabrielle Giffords father. Her office window was smashed the day after she voted in favor of the healthcare bill. There have been other acts of violence against democratic congressmen, which again, I have posted on other threads in this forum. I am unaware of any attacks on republican congressmen's offices.

Your long post is all of the place with ideas about the shooter. I wouldn't put much stock in what the Business Insider says since they got it wrong about his military service. He was rejected by the military. I have posted enough to convince me that this guy hated the government and was mentally deranged. Oh, and btw, he had the chance to meet and ask Gabrielle Giffords an irrational question which she didn't answer to his liking - after which he said she was stupid and unintelligent.

It is typical of neocons to look for cover,offer explanations and other nonsense and go on the offense to deflect from what has happened. OMG, it couldn't possibly be the result of some right wing, mentally unbalanced person who hated and feared the government - I mean we never see THAT happen.

Except every person who knew him, who has come forward, has said he was a "liberal, a leftist, left wing" etc. etc. nobody who knows this guy has come forward and said anything about right wing, the only people blurting out right wing hatred are the people on the left who are now mortified that one of there own did something horrible.