Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone get really sick after surgery?

Hi, I'm getting ready to go to a seminar to get information about the lap band, but I was curious about something. Is there anyone that doesn't get sick (vomiting) after surgery. I read so many horror stories about people becoming violently ill after surgery, does this happen often? I have a fear of vomiting and this makes me severly nervous..Help.

I do get severly sick after waking up from surgery. But I found out that if I talk very openly about it with anesthia they will always do something to help me I have had numerous surgeries at different hospitals and everytime the Dr will give me something!!. THey usually ask me about nausea before they ask me about pain. And in the instance with the band they are going to prevent you from vomiting at all cost becuase that could risk slip-age of your band.

So please don't be worried and please don't let it be a reason you delay getting your band!

I did not get sick after surgery. Everything went pretty smooth for me. I was up and walking every hour. Went home the next day and again everything went well. I just took it slow and steady. I did go back to work the following Monday though. I just couldn't bear to be home any more!

My surgeon had me get a transderm scop patch that I put on the night before surgery. It is supposed to last 3 days. Also there are nausea meds. One that is a dissolving one is called Zofran. Some people get nausea from the operation and some get it from the pain meds. Good luck:smile:

My doctor put a patch on an hour before surgery and the anesthesiologist put some anti nausea drugs in the iv. I didnt get any nausea after surgery. banded 8/16.

I only got sick once when I tried to drink to much Water. I learned my lesson quickly.

They make a compounded promethazine that you rub on your wrist. Ask your doctor for that. It is wonderful, and my surgeon keeps us supplied with it just in case a stomach bug happens to go through the house.

Edited by tylee72198

I used to suffer terrible nausea after surgery, back when i had my babies c-section and other stuff, but since then I always tell the anesthesiologist to please help me out and he does I did not have any at all after surgery 8 days ago, I still have not had any since banding. They have some great meds now and can really make the difference. Just follow all the directions and you will do well.

I had Zofran before...worked great! There is also Emend. That one is used for chemotherapy and for post-operative nausea and vomiting.

I didn't have any trouble with this at all, and I don't know anyone who did. I think the other poster's comment about letting your dr. know that this is a concern was a really good one.

The surgery was actually a lot easier than I expected, as was my recovery. I wrote all about it at the beginning of my blog -- feel free to check it out if you're interested.

Best wishes,

Catherine

My dr prescribes Emend to everything the morning before the surgery... he said it takes longer to kick in. Anesthesia also gave me medication. I had told them I had gotten pretty sick with previous surgeries and pretty mean/wild when I was recovering so they gave me a lot of good stuff and I was pretty gorked when I first came out of the OR but I was up and able to walk like 2 hours after I left the OR! I kept on walking too.... it felt way better than laying in the bed!

I've never felt nauseous or vomited after an anaesthetic, but they've only been short ones, 45 minutes or less. I've had quite a few in my lifetime, maybe six or seven.