Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much is too much wgt loss?

I had my surgery in March 2008, to date I have lost 123 pounds and my current weight is 174.:scared2:

My doctor is excited, that I have surpassed my goal but, people make the rudest comments regarding me looking "too" small!:o

Actually, I am tired of my weight as the subject of conversation everytime I am around people! :)

I just want to be as normal to everyone else that I am to myself! I have learned that people really are shallow and cannot see beyond weight. Truthfully, I felt really good about myself when I was heavy, and I feel equally good now, I think I am the same person, just a lot lighter...so my question is how much is too much weight lost? When will the plateau began...I am still losing weight?

I went to the doctor to have Fluid removed so I could stop losing weight, and I was refused, so I have to work more on behavior modification techniques to control my weight lost...any suggestions?

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzXGRjd/]

weight.png

[/url]

Edited by losingwgt

Keep it up I only lost 80 from 8/27/2008 and I feel great. I lost so many inches and so healthy. I do more activities then I ever did before and couldn't do. Just smile when they talk about your weight I do.

Thank you for your comments...I have become a little self-conscious regarding my weight because it is always the subject of conversation...I purposely didnt tell people that I had weight lost surgery, and needless to say, people will talk. Congratulations on your weight lost! You keep up the good work!:scared2:

Thank you for your comments...I have become a little self-conscious regarding my weight because it is always the subject of conversation...I purposely didnt tell people that I had weight lost surgery, and needless to say, people will talk. Congratulations on your weight lost! You keep up the good work!:scared2:

I'm curious, have you discussed with your Dr. what your ideal weight would be? You mentioned that he was thrilled that you were below your goal. Beyond the numbers, if you are happy and feel good.... it's between you and your Dr. Anyone who asks is either genuinely interested in your health, or jealous. Be kind either way. The newness of your new svelte figure will become of less interest as more pressing discussions come alone, like, the latest movies or TV series.

And thank you for sharing your journey with us.:)

I think too much weight lost is when your BMI is in the underweight range. If it is still in the normal range(which yours is) then you are fine.

Most people that tell you you have lost too much weight are just jealous . IGNORE THEM!

Sld21 Thank you for your reply...it is absolutely correct! I went to the doctor yesterday, and I was given absolutely the exact same information! Thank you for the encouragement! Much continued success to you!

Edited by losingwgt

I definitely would not set my goals based on what other people think they should be. I've even had people say, "wow, you look like you're sick." They just got used to seeing the plump fat guy. I normally respond, "Thanks, I'm glad to see you too." :cursing:

So many people around us have toxic components. We have to recognize those for what they are and disregard their ignorance.

My doc supervises my progress. Beyond that, the only person who

determines my health/fitness goals is me. So long as I can smile at how I look and feel - everyone else can take a flying leap! :wub:

Brad

I think too much weight lost is when your BMI is in the underweight range. If it is still in the normal range(which yours is) then you are fine.

Most people that tell you you have lost too much weight are just jealous . IGNORE THEM!

depending on the height of the person, 174 could still be overweight. Maybe the doctor feels they are not just there yet. Is this person a male or female? I think if you went as far to have surgery to lose the weight, you might as well go all the way to a normal bmi and tone it up. You dont have to be a stick just fit.

Brad:

You are awesome!:cursing:

Thank you! I agree that my wgt loss is monitored my myself and my doctor...I am just amazed at the comments that I get on a daily basis! I haven't felt empowered enough to respond in any positive way...I wanted to find out if other bandsters have experienced such negetivey from haters?

Your pictures are absolutely great!:wub::thumbup:

I'm 50+ pounds away from my goal, and people are already telling me I'm getting too skinny.

Clearly, I am not.

I am, however, very different from what I was even six months ago, and by comparison, I'm "skinny."

People are resistant to change. And it's true that my eating habits have, in fact, created a loss for some people. They no longer have the eating buddy I once represented. I recognize that that is a loss---but it does not in any way obligate me to them.

At this point, I just kind of laugh and tell people who comment that I'm getting "too skinny," "Yeah, tell me that 50 pounds from now, and maybe I'll listen."

I do anticipate that I'll get more flack as I get closer to goal. But as long as my BMI is in the right range, and I'm physically fit and eating properly, I will chalk up the responses of others to their OWN old tapes. People like to maintain the status quo--if my weight loss rocks their boats, they'll have to find something else to balance out their shaky vessels.

BETSY:

I love you positive mental attitude! :cursing:

I can tell you have been utilizing behavior modification and working really faithfully to achieve your wgt loss goals...congratualtions! I really appreciate your positive words of encouragement...you have no idea how much I have been suffering in silence soaking in all of the negetive comments regarding my weight loss! :wub:

I am empowered now!

I am ready to embrace my diligent efforts and flaunt my weight loss...I worked for this new look!

Thanks once again, and much continued success to you!

losingwgt- The other thing that has happened (at least in the US) is that with so many people overweight we have come to see overweight as the new "normal."

You are doing great! Down with the haters! :cursing:

jensmallwood

Giving the haters something to hate about!:wub:

Keeping it moving...the scale in going in the right direction.

I am reaching my goals and setting new ones! :cursing:

I am sorry that people are not just being the supportive people you need them to be. I have found that many people get so use to seeing you "fat". And since you probley gained over the years the new very fast "skinny" you is scarey to them. You think it takes your eyes a while to adjust to the new you just imagine what they are seeing.

I see it as inspiration, empowerment and strength when I see people who have lost alot of weight. Other people also see that but they are affraid of change and affraid that you will change and not be the person that they love. I told my mom (who is very skinny) that I would prefer to to take about my weight or the process with her. (it felt to fake) and she agreed that she would only mention it if I brought it up. Maybe that would be a good deal to make with all your people.

As far as your doctor goes if you really want him to unfill you tell him that he works for you and that it is your body and you want it now.

Good luck

Thank you for the words of encouragement...I gain more strengh with each post! Good luck on your journey!