Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for September 2010 Bandsters

My surgery has finally been scheduled for the 13th and I must say I am totally scared to death now!! I've been doing pre-op diet since last Wednesday( Sept. 1) and am already so sick of eating the same things every day. Broccoli, broccoli and more broccoli, lol. Just wanting to know if any of you were this apprehensive before your surgery? I keep thinking, do you really want to do this? Deprive myself of all the foods that I love and enjoy so much. I know most people say that after a few weeks they can eat almost anything, just in smaller amounts, but what if I'm not one of those people and get chocked on Everything!! My doctor is very strick, no potaoes, breads, sweets or fruits so basically there's not much of anything left except for meat and you guessed it BROCCOLI! Please help me, I really need some encouragement here or I might find myself backing out before long. I have been following the boards but just haven't posted in a long time. September bandsters, please help me out here!!

Thanks and God Bless

Tomorrow begins my clear liquid diet. Went to the store and bought liquid vitamins, but not sure what to do about the Iron supplements because all that I saw were in pill form.

Also, I had a toothache about 2 weeks ago and went to the dentist and found out I have a cracked tooth below gum line. He put me on amoxicillin for 7 days and the pain went away. He said he would put a refill on it in case I need one. He wanted to wait until after my surgery to extract the tooth, then implant. Thursday night the tooth began to ache again and I started the amoxicillin right away. Now I am wondering if I can still go forward with my surgery on 9/7/10..... I REALLY don't want to have to reschedule it....I called the pharmacy and the pharmacist said I can still be on amoxicillin and have surgery. :-(

sannersplace72 -- I did find a chewable Iron tablet at vitaminlife.com

ConB113 -- If your mentally not ready to commit to a new healthy you, it might be best to wait. I don't plan on eating any foods that I don't like. I'll eat the same foods, hopefully be able to make healthier choices and eat a whole lot less.

If you do continue with the surgery, you might be surprised that when you start losing weight you will also gain control over your eating, which in return will motivate you to keep on the right path. Good luck.

Cathy

Hey everyone.. Well I am having my surgery Sept.13 and I am so excited and nervous....

I had to have Lovenox right before I went into surgery and I still have the bruised belly to prove it.

Gracerev, I'm still having problems drinking everything I'm supposed to, and barely am getting in three shakes a day. I feel like the swelling in my tummy has gone down a good bit today, so hopefully I will get three in today!

Dont tell our nutritionist, but I'm not drinking unjury! I switched to Premier Protein because it has 30gms of Protein per shake and its nearly all I can get down.

I'm doing well, walking a lot, still NO REGRETS!

hey everyone :smile: well i went out of town for the weekend so i hope everyone had a great one! i called my insurance company on friday and they denied me :smile: at first i asked why and the lady on the phone told me that my insurance didn't cover it...and before i went through this process i made sure that they did and what i needed to do before this process. so i ended up calling back and talking to someone in the claims department and she said it was because of my bmi....on my coverage i have to have a bmi of at least 35 with 2 co-morbids well on the same day i met with my surgeon and my bmi was 35 then right after that i went to band class and it was 34.8 so when it was submitted to my insurance the nurse that was looking my case over looked at the 34.8 and said denied :) but what about the 35 bmi from the same day at the surgeons office? i am so confused and i would love some help/advice

Edited by phershey
spelling

hey everyone :smile: well i went out of town for the weekend so i hope everyone had a great one! i called my insurance company on friday and they denied me :smile: at first i asked why and the lady on the phone told me that my insurance didn't cover it...and before i went through this process i made sure that they did and what i needed to do before this process. so i ended up calling back and talking to someone in the claims department and she said it was because of my bmi....on my coverage i have to have a bmi of at least 35 with 2 co-morbids well on the same day i met with my surgeon and my bmi was 35 then right after that i went to band class and it was 34.8 so when it was submitted to my insurance the nurse that was looking my case over looked at the 34.8 and said denied :) but what about the 35 bmi from the same day at the surgeons office? i am so confused and i would love some help/advice

Can your surgeon's office appeal, supplying the original 35 BMI? It seems to me they'd be willing to work on your behalf-- if you get covered, they get paid.

Hey ladies and gentlemen-- so awesome to come back to see so many people banded and doing well! Sorry I've been missing and not doing my part in encouraging people but I'm a college professor and the new semester started, which means I was suddenly busy. Then, a week ago, I got sick and it just kept getting worse until now I'm on antibiotics, some other prescription med to "dry me up" (my lips tell me it's working- hello chapstick!), and lots and lots of cough drops. I'm kind of paranoid about my liver being in bad shape because of all of the meds, including the tylenol, but I have my pre-op testing two days before my surgery so I'll know for sure then if things look good.

I was doing really well on my self-imposed pre-op diet (started August 10th-ish) until I got sick-- now it's been all comfort food when I feel like eating. It's definitely a clue about something I'll have to struggle with post-band. I haven't gained anything, so that's good, but as of tonight I'm back on pre-op until the big day.

Anyway, yay for all of you! We're going to kick butt.

Also, I think I saw something about a Christmas challenge. Are we doing something as a group?

I'm cleared!!! Surgery is Tuesday!!!!!

Congratulations!!!:smile:

Happy Labor Day all! I hope everyone is enjoying their long weekend off! My thoughts and prayers are with all of you that are being banded tomorrow...I will pray for you all. Today has been a good day, pain is virtually gone. Have a great day everyone!

A blessing? A miracle? OMG you won't believe this, I still can't...

So I get called at 930 am from the hospital telling me that if I need to bring money to the main hosptial and more more to administration building in a whole other area by 2:30pm today or I can't get the surgery on Tuesday (since everyone is closed for Labor Day). So I get the checks by 11:30am, run to the one place (15 miles away) then to the other place (22 miles away in the opposite direction)... OKAY- I get home at 1:30 this afternoon after all is said and done.... OKAY- at 1:45 pm I get a phone call from the surgeons office.... 6 minutes before the financial lady gets a phone call from my insurance company... OKAY- They are APPROVING me for my entire surgery! :thumbup:OMFG... are you SERIOUS. I literally screamed. So apparently my doctor sent ANOTHER form for a second appeal... And it was APPROVED! HOLY CRAP. After all this poop I have been going through emotionally, after the running around today, after PAYING today, 1 HOUR before the office was closing until Tuesday--- I get approved! I am SOOOOOOOO thankful! I don't know how it happened but it did! So she told me that a family member can pick up the check during my surgery one Tuesday for the one check. I had to call the administrative/finance people- they were able to verify that its approved too- they said they will mail me the check back.... And then I had to call another department about my refund for the pre-surgery cost- they said they will mail me back a refund check! OMG How CRAZY is that. Thank you dear God! :smile: WOW I don't even know what to say! What a relief! :smile:

Ohh and then 25 minutes later I get called again- I have to be at the hosptial on Tuesday by 5:45 am!!!!!!

Thank you for the support people! I <3 You all!

Brian- maybe you will receive a blessing too!

Danide: I'm so happy for you! :):thumbup: That's a blessing of all blessing.

Also I'm all for the new thread to start October 1, after everyone has, received there life changing friend.

finally home, been a rough two days. had the band in yesterday at 9ish, went from recovery to have the upperGI and didn't pass, long story and three hours thinking this was it, I was dying, dr came in and took me back in surgery to loosen the band. during this surgery my o2 sats fell out so had other MD anesthetists called in and spent about 4 more hours in recovery and then overnight in the hospital. Dr explained that the incisions would be sorer than most b/c of having to open them twice. BUT I can swallow now. o2 is back and a tummy pillow is my best friend. itll be better in a few days I'm sure. Wanted to update you all

Kydman: I'm so sorry to hear about the difficulty you had after your surgery. But I'm happy to see things worked out, take care and thanks for sharing.

Hey Cathy,

I am feeling okay today, the gas pains are terrible, but bearable. I got home about 10am this morning, and have just laid around the house being lazy bones since then. Did you have a hard time getting in all the Fluid and the Protein the first couple days after? I feel like I'm forcing fluids, but I don't want to get dehydrated either! Thanks for asking about me...how are you doing????

Pooky032281: Happy to hear you're doing OK

My journey began last summer and finally more than a year later I am happy to say my surgery is scheduled for Sept 30th. :biggrin:

Cndalbs: Congratulations on your surgery date.

Swissnis: That's good you was able to get your clearance.

hi ! everyone just checking in still hanging in there on this liquid diet so glad mines is not as strict as others 2 shakes and a lean dinner! Friday was really bad i got into an argument with my boyfriend and yup u guessed it didnt know how to cope with out eating didn't realize that i eat when i get upset but im proud of myself i went for a walk and drank an diet iced tea so not so bad but i really wanted pizza:tt1: yesterday we had a end of the summer bbq i ate a turkey burger and some deviled eggs i dont feel like it was the worse because i could have done far worse so i take it as one of my first challenges i didnt win but i felt like i broke even....... 10 days to go!!!!

Rebecca,

Hope you're able to tolerate more today. Mum's the word on skipping the Unjury. As long as you've got something that works! No point in having something that you just can't tolerate.

Today, I just feel sore. Can't sit/stand/lay in any one place very long. Thank God my mom is patient with me. I think I'm getting a little bit grumpy. I'm sure it will pass as I keep feeling better. Trying not to look too closely at my tummy in the mirror because I look like I got hit by a truck!

I'm leaving the steri-strips alone as instructed, but does anyone have any ideas about how to (GENTLY!) remove the sticky left over from the big adhesive bandages? I don't want to mess with the areas too much but would really like to not stick to myself whenever I move!

It's a lovely day here but got pretty hot again. Hoping to go out for a little walk when evening comes.

Best to you all!

gracerev

Sannersplace, I've bought these but haven't tried them, they have B and Iron

Liquid Vitamin supplement and liquid multi vitamin mineral

I love reading everything, haven't read here all weekend as I had a wedding and then a family reunion. Yes you guessed, I did lousy on my pre op. The holidays are going to be rough. Anyway, back on the band wagon, doing a Protein Shake for dinner and going for a walk.

gracerrev, what about a little nail polish remover with a qtip, of course not near your open area, but maybe in a controlled way to get the sticky off? Just a toxic thought.

Lisa

OMG!!! I've missed so much. We went away for the weekend, I hope you all had a great holiday...

I'm glad everyone is doing well.

danide, Nani4five, sannersplace72, swissnis, playermimi, msmith73: Good Luck tomorrow... Will be thinking of all of you....