Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair loss and my answer!!

Hi, I was banded on Jan 29, 2010 in Chicago and around the end of May my hair started falling out.

Not the 100 strands you hear about all the time, but major loss in the shower and in the brush. I started my internet research and found out that it can be a side effect with the anesthesia. Not everyone has this side effect.

The same Hair loss happend to me 10 years ago after my hysterectomy and went on for 3 months. I was so thin on top, you could see my scalp. Noone knew why. I was tested by Dermatologists, etc to no avail. Now thanks to the web I got the answers.

I started taking Biotin 5000 mcg a day which is basicly mega doses of Vitimin B12. I ordered it from the web, since I couldnt find it in the store. Yikes! :) within 3 weeks the major hair loss completly stopped! Plus my energy level skyrocketed!

I use the biotin Shampoo too. There are lots of brands of biotin out there but I imagine they are all the same.

I am not the kind of person that beleives in miracle cures or promotes them but going bald again for 3 months was not an option so I was willing to try anything.

If you have this problem, give it a try, At the very least, you will feel energized. I take 2500 mcg a day now just in case my hair decides to act up again..

BTW I am down 30 lbs and still plugging away. Slow but sure.:thumbup:

I lost my hair all in the back. every time i touch my hair it comes out in bulk. i went to the doctor and she gave me a B12 shot i go back and get another one on june 30, i hope this work because it is too hot for wigs in chicago right about now. i had my surgery in nov 23 2009. and have lost 64lbs. off of a 424 body and i feel great besides the Hair loss. im goin to try the Biotin too to see what works the fastest.:biggrin::thumbup::)

I started with Hair loss about 6months post op, my dr recommended the Biotin and this has helped with less hair loss and i am starting to notice regrowth. What type of Shampoo do you use that contains Biotin?

I don't know the name of the Biotin Shampoo but I found it on Amazon.com and it took about 3 weeks to arrive due to back shipment,

You may be able to find it on other sites. It doesn't smell great but I use my normal creme rinse after so it cuts the odor. I use it every other day and have lots of new growth as well.

B12 shots..that sounds good. I know the 5000 mcg gives me mega energy so the shots must be a major dose as well. And you're right it is HOT in Chicago right now!

Thank you so much for posting this! Hair loss after being banded worries me a lot. I will look into the Biotin or B12 injections. Thanks again!:)

Biotin or B-12 did not really help me. Who knows, maybe if I didn't take it I would have been bald. I started taking it well before I had any hairloss and still lost 30-40 % of my hair. I think the type of hair you have has a lot to do with it. I have baby fine straight hair. Thank goodness it started growing back in.

Yes, I have heard that sometimes the Biotin doesn't work and yes the hairloss is not permanent. But I just didnt want to go through the wait and gave the Biotin a try. It worked for me thank goodness.

I have freinds that had gastric bypass and cannot stop the hair loss due to malabsortion issues. We dont have that issue! :smile2:

Also I finally hit my sweet spot last week, 7cc in a 10cc band. I am noticing the the difference already. It was my 3rd fill. I did have some discomfort with gas and soreness after this fill that I didnt have before with the other fills.But it went away after 3 days.

So I'm somewhat consumed with the possibility of hair loss after banding. I already have some thinning and take Biotin 1000mcg each day along with other supplements. Due to the hair thinning, I have had a variety of lab test that have all been negative. My GP says that it's just hereditary and to keep taking Vitamins.

I have had weight problems most of my life. I have been losing the same 25 to 30 lbs for the last 10 years. I have been trying to do some research while waiting on insurance approval for Lap-band®® Surgery. I am 42, female with a BMI of 35 and I have high blood pressure.

I would appreciate any recommendations. Also, does anyone know the percentage of those that have Hair loss after banding? Thanks

I Just got the vsg with Mario Alberto Almanza Reyes in Tijuana mexico, it was only 5,200 including the flight, I lost 50 lbs in 1.5 months, Im sooo happy with the surgery, I just want to thank him everyday and the team too! Dr if you are reading this, thank you, you changed my life, I love you guys! and No it didnt hurt, on the first day it was a little painfull but they gave you something for the pain, after that, it went away and I was ok in 2 days! I highly recommend this beutiful dr who changed my life and my low self esteem!

Hi Max123, Don't know the percentage of those who experience Hair loss. But it is temporary. Also I took 5000mcg of Biotin based on my research.

Starting with a BMI of 35 is not so bad, Mine was 41 and I am down to 37 I take 2500mcg daily now tht the hair loss is all but gone.

Yep, surgery interrupts the hair growth cycle---for a while, hair that ordinarily would fall out is retained. Then BAM! It decides to all come out seemingly at once.

I, too, use Biotin. I also take zinc, as recommended by my doctor. I get 100-ish grams of Protein a day. I've done this since before surgery (though I upped Biotin a couple of months after).

I still had the period of Hair loss. I added in Nioxin shampoo/conditioner when the loss started.

Doing all of these things helped me feel better. And the hair loss did slow down and --now it seems--stop.

But I think the cycle would have played out the same way either way. It happens---and we do things that make us feel better (like we're in control!) in the meantime.

I'm not knocking your suggestions. I still am taking the supplements. I'm just not convinced that they do a ton. I think time is more influential.

You could be right Betsey. I don't think anyone knows for sure and of course some people dont have this problem at all.

I know the hair loss stopped within 3 weeks after it started and 3 weeks after using the Biotin, so hey it's all good now and maybe the Vitamins did the trick..

Now I just need a magic dose of something to win the lottery!!