Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it what you eat or how much?

There are a lot of good materials to learn about energy balance... I really prefer an ebook from Tom Venuto called "Burn the Fat... Feed the Muscle"... It's an easy read and very educational...

One thing I keep thinking about with this "lifestyle change" I'm supposed to have is that if this was a change I was capable of making and sticking to..then I really wouldn't have needed the lap band. My doctor wants me on a diet very close to the Atkins low carb diet, and I know that works because I lost 50lbs on it once. However, if I had been able to stick to it as a lifestyle, I would have lost more and kept it all off.

They keep saying the lap band is a tool...but it's only a physical tool, not an emotional one. I guess I was thinking the emotional part would kick in at some point..I'm just wondering where that point is, and where it kicked in for those further down this road...

Wow! You and I seem alot alike! I am only 11 weeks out from surgery and still struggling with my old eating habits. I seem to learn something new each week though and I do write about my thoughts and experiences.

If you have time, read my newest blog post on eating more Protein and tell me what you think...http://www.debbieposton.com/better-protein-choices-no-sliders/

I wish you luck on your journey!! Patience seems to be the biggest thing needed lol

Debora... i can assure you, im not doing all the right things with my diet yet... im post op four weeks. i havent had a fill yet and my appetite is getting to be a worry for me. the colder weather is setting in here and my appetite always spikes now . i know that there is emotional hunger as well as physical hunger. im not sure just how much of what im experiencing right now but whatever it is, its giving me problems. i cant wait for my first fill. i wonder what i will be like after that? without the fill i do experience some restriction, no doubt about that. ive come close to being stuck a few times but managed to get out of it. I havent lost any weight for a week now. i havent gained either but i may start to if i cant stop eating more than im supposed to. i am supposed to have 100 cals per day.

1000 calories a day...correction. judych

hi.... im adding to this post. it was interesting to read my comments so close to having lapband. Now im two years out in march. Im finding that my weight loss has slowed down a lot. Im not thinking about losing weight any more. Im just eating what i can, and there is a lot that i cant eat so its good. lol. However there is the occasional binge where i have some sugared sweets. lol.. not often though. I dont have bread anymore... im very careful about what meat i have now. i have a lot more Soups. For me, its more important to have flavour than quantity. Know what i mean? i cant stand bland foods. Im 67 and im thinking now that my taste buds are wanting to retire.. lol... but im not letting them ! i have spicy soups a lot. Everyday at least one meal. I have a cup of Soup at Breakfast time. thats quick, easy and good on my tummy. i usually have the spicy soups at lunchtime. My preference is Thai. i add lemon slices, apple cider vinegar, etc to it and its lovely. Tea" i usually have a very small portion of what the family are having. Some days my band is 'off' and i know i cant eat much.. but i have more soups those days. I have cracker biscuites... often with some cheese. i like that. I find im eating inbetween with Snacks. I went on holiday in august for three weeks. I like a glass or two of wine. red wine. i had that but still had some restrictions because i was away and the band was tighter. anyway, it didnt matter, i ate fish a lot. when i went back to the dr. i had lost a kilo (2.2lbs) without even trying. Im getting hungry between meals. im just getting a couple of dry crackers out and having them. Thats become a part of my diet now. Ive lost more weight in the last couple of weeks... i still have about 8 lbs to go before i get to my desired weight. My dr says im fine as i am but i have arthritis and know i need to take more weight off my knees and feet. Im at 12 stone and 5 ounces right now. ( thats 12 x 14 + 5..). we are in summer now which is easier . i dont have the appetite for heavy foods i had in winter.. thats good. i can eat a very small amount of salad. Really, when i think of it... im not depriving myself at all. just eating way smaller serves. i still get hungry but the dry biscuits take care of that. im happy.

After reading hundreds of posts over the last few weeks, I think I've come to the conclusion that everyone is different. Whether it's calorie intake or exercise, low carb or low calorie, eating healthy or eating what you want, everyone is unique.

I almost can't stand the suspense of finding out how it's going to be for me. I have read stories of people urking over a sip of Water, and people in a panic because they are always hungry. I have surgery in 9 days, and the only thing I've really learned is that I have to find out how this is going to work on my own body.

I know I have determination, my willpower has never been higher, and my monthly weight loss goals are achievable (10 lbs/mo). Plus I have the support of all of you when I have questions. That's the best comfort of all.

Carlene

thanks for this Carlene... i agree with you all the way. I dont want to be ''blinded'' by the science of it all, but i need to find out what works for me. REading posts like yours helps my will power to remain high as well. this is a great forum.

my advice? and advice you can live with ? dont worry about what others can or cant have. listen to your own body. Have lots of fluid... and very small amounts of food. Only time will let you know what you can eat and cant eat. My diet is great... but there are lots of things i dont have now. i dont care. im happy with it all... and satisfied. so, please dont stress. YOur band will let you know what you can and cant eat. Just dont try and push it. good luck/