Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it what you eat or how much?

Well I agree and disagree with the other posters...

The key to losing fat - (I say fat because even muscle loss = weight loss and who wants to lose muscle?) is understanding and applying the energy balance PLUS understanding how your body uses food as fuel and how those fuels differ (carbs, fats, Proteins, alcohol).

Your body has a strong will to survive. It will not voluntarily give up its' fat stores. You have to coax and burn them off. You do this by creating a calorie deficit created by BOTH exercise and reduced food intake. Creating this deficit by intake alone will not take an obese person down to a healthy body fat percentage - at best, it will create a skinny fat person.

Calories In Vs. Calories Out is a bit too simplistic. 1000 calories of cotton candy and 1000 calories of skinless chicken breast are profoundly different. The difference in insulin response alone (not to mention other body chemistry) is huge! All calories are not equal.

Ponder this... "Joe" eats 1000 calories a day, day after day. He needs to lose 100 pounds. This low calorie diet gives him a deficit of 2000 calories a day. By this calculation he should be able to completely lose his excess body weight in 175-200 days....(Bet he doesn't)... But what if he continues this trend for several years? Does he completely disappear? Of course not. Because it's not just about calories in/calories out - it's about managing your metabolism via your energy balance.

I eat 1000 calories some days - I eat over 3000 other days. I still have challenging food demons, but I manage them. If I'm going to eat cheat foods, I do so on planned high calorie days. By cycling calories this way - combined with a challenging exercise schedule consisting of both strength and cardiovascular training - I keep my metabolism white hot. My body fat percentage continues to fall, while the scale stays relatively stable (small lean muscle tissue gains). This lifestyle allows fat loss on calorie deficit days and muscle gains on calorie surplus days.

There are several scenarios of posts on LBT that leave me grumbling... One of them is very low calorie diets. People who eat very low calories (600-1000) love the weight loss they initially see. But how much of that weight is lost muscle? Your body is a machine. If it's being starved is it going to give up metabolically active lean muscle tissue which is high maintenance to keep - or fat stores which costs next to nothing to maintain? Some of both, but the ratio is going to tip toward the lean muscle tissue. As muscle tissues decline, your body adjusts it's metabolism in a fight to avoid starvation, the weight loss slows and then comes the unavoidable - yet easily predicted plateau. They havn't lost weight in months, but hey, plateau's are normal right? No... they aren't normal - they mean your body has adjusted your metabolism accordingly to try to stave off starvation. It won't give up without a fight. But their doctor prescribed the 800 calorie low carb diet, so that must not be it... :tt2:

Here's another one... I've read a lot of posts where people are eating 1000 calories and gaining weight and they try to suggest it's muscle gains... Not a chance... It is physiologically impossible to maintain that large of a calorie deficit and gain muscle tissue, which actually requires a calorie surplus. One person is starving themselves eating 800 low carb calories a day, while at the same time I sit here on a high calorie day snacking on Peanut M&M's dipped in Peanut Butter.

"So Brad, if your so damned smart and think this is so easy, then why did you get so fat you needed WLS?" Because I didn't understand the energy balance and how my body used fuel and how those fuel types differ - BUT now I do... And I want everyone else to know too... It may be simple - but it isn't easy... The band is a great tool to help you achieve your goals.

Your body is a wonderful efficient machine when properly understood. Fuel it appropriately and it will reward you!

Good Luck!

Brad

OKAY SO, I RECENTLY GOT BANDED, AND I AM HAVING SOME TROUBLE FIGURING OUT WHAT TO EAT AND IF IT WILL HELP OR HURT MY WEIGHT LOSS. YOUR RESPONSE WAS SO INFORMATIVE BUT I AM STILL A BIT CONFUSED, WHAT SHOULD I LEAN TOWARDS AND WHAT SHOULD I MAINTAIN AWAY FROM? PLEASE RESPOND! I AM VERY LOST!

OKAY SO, I RECENTLY GOT BANDED, AND I AM HAVING SOME TROUBLE FIGURING OUT WHAT TO EAT AND IF IT WILL HELP OR HURT MY WEIGHT LOSS. YOUR RESPONSE WAS SO INFORMATIVE BUT I AM STILL A BIT CONFUSED, WHAT SHOULD I LEAN TOWARDS AND WHAT SHOULD I MAINTAIN AWAY FROM? PLEASE RESPOND! I AM VERY LOST!

I prefer to eat largely whole unprocessed foods and keep foods containing simple sugars to a minimum... That's not to say you can't reward yourself from time to time.

Brad

It couldnt be more simple, fill it 3/4 with Water, I add a squirt of dishwashing liquid, run it on high for 30 seconds then rinse out. It is a BRILLIANT machine.

No kidding, but you can make Soup putting in entire vegetables - we made one that was on a TV infomercial - a whole carrot, half an apple, seeds, stem and all, a piece of celery, a piece of unpeeled ginger, a couple of unpeeled cloves of garlic, half a small squash,zucchini, capcsicum, some basil, coriander, cashews, chicken stock just shove it all in and turn it on pushing down with the tamper for a bit, and run till heavy steam comes out. Serioulsy 30 seconds prep and a lovely thai flavoured Soup in seven minutes. I tend to use it a lot more for soup, as I do feel its easy to overdo the fruit, calorie and sugar wise and I'm not much of a juice drinker anyway. It makes fabulous hommous and stuff like that too, so so easy.

Thanks Brad, great post.

Debora, we all (or most of us) eat things sometimes that are not exactly healthy. I eat way healthier than I used to, but sometimes I get a real yummy treat. I had a dairy queen the other day for the first time in 6 months. The next evening I really, really wanted another one. I didn't get it. I believe you should be able to have these things once in a while but for the most effective, healthiest weight loss I believe you need to make healthy choices. The one thing I NEVER do is fast food, aside from a chili at Wendy's.

Good Luck, this was a great thread!

Well I agree and disagree with the other posters...

The key to losing fat - (I say fat because even muscle loss = weight loss and who wants to lose muscle?) is understanding and applying the energy balance PLUS understanding how your body uses food as fuel and how those fuels differ (carbs, fats, Proteins, alcohol).

Your body has a strong will to survive. It will not voluntarily give up its' fat stores. You have to coax and burn them off. You do this by creating a calorie deficit created by BOTH exercise and reduced food intake. Creating this deficit by intake alone will not take an obese person down to a healthy body fat percentage - at best, it will create a skinny fat person.

Calories In Vs. Calories Out is a bit too simplistic. 1000 calories of cotton candy and 1000 calories of skinless chicken breast are profoundly different. The difference in insulin response alone (not to mention other body chemistry) is huge! All calories are not equal.

Ponder this... "Joe" eats 1000 calories a day, day after day. He needs to lose 100 pounds. This low calorie diet gives him a deficit of 2000 calories a day. By this calculation he should be able to completely lose his excess body weight in 175-200 days....(Bet he doesn't)... But what if he continues this trend for several years? Does he completely disappear? Of course not. Because it's not just about calories in/calories out - it's about managing your metabolism via your energy balance.

I eat 1000 calories some days - I eat over 3000 other days. I still have challenging food demons, but I manage them. If I'm going to eat cheat foods, I do so on planned high calorie days. By cycling calories this way - combined with a challenging exercise schedule consisting of both strength and cardiovascular training - I keep my metabolism white hot. My body fat percentage continues to fall, while the scale stays relatively stable (small lean muscle tissue gains). This lifestyle allows fat loss on calorie deficit days and muscle gains on calorie surplus days.

There are several scenarios of posts on LBT that leave me grumbling... One of them is very low calorie diets. People who eat very low calories (600-1000) love the weight loss they initially see. But how much of that weight is lost muscle? Your body is a machine. If it's being starved is it going to give up metabolically active lean muscle tissue which is high maintenance to keep - or fat stores which costs next to nothing to maintain? Some of both, but the ratio is going to tip toward the lean muscle tissue. As muscle tissues decline, your body adjusts it's metabolism in a fight to avoid starvation, the weight loss slows and then comes the unavoidable - yet easily predicted plateau. They havn't lost weight in months, but hey, plateau's are normal right? No... they aren't normal - they mean your body has adjusted your metabolism accordingly to try to stave off starvation. It won't give up without a fight. But their doctor prescribed the 800 calorie low carb diet, so that must not be it... :tt2:

Here's another one... I've read a lot of posts where people are eating 1000 calories and gaining weight and they try to suggest it's muscle gains... Not a chance... It is physiologically impossible to maintain that large of a calorie deficit and gain muscle tissue, which actually requires a calorie surplus. One person is starving themselves eating 800 low carb calories a day, while at the same time I sit here on a high calorie day snacking on Peanut M&M's dipped in Peanut Butter.

"So Brad, if your so damned smart and think this is so easy, then why did you get so fat you needed WLS?" Because I didn't understand the energy balance and how my body used fuel and how those fuel types differ - BUT now I do... And I want everyone else to know too... It may be simple - but it isn't easy... The band is a great tool to help you achieve your goals.

Your body is a wonderful efficient machine when properly understood. Fuel it appropriately and it will reward you!

Good Luck!

Brad

I was banded on April 9th, 2011. I read your post above and im very interested in asking you what would you suggest for me to consume in daily calories, how many Protein grams per day and the minimundaily amount of workout. I had my surgery in Mexico and i dont have a nutritionist and i want advise and guidance from some one that has been very successful in the weight loss. Please help with some guidance.

I got my lap band April 23rd, 2010. So far I've had 1 fill, 4cc's, and I've lost 22lbs.

So far I've basically been eating most of the same foods that I ate before the lap band, except for breads and meats that aren't ground (such as steak or pork chops) because those things get stuck and hurt me!

I think that I'm losing weight simply because I'm eating far less than I did before, and what I'm wondering is if anyone has had long term success this way....or am I just kidding myself?

I'm waiting for the idea of a nutritional, structured diet to kick in with me, but so far it hasn't. Before I got the lap band, I thought eating a healthy diet would be easy because I wouldn't be hungry...but I am still hungry. It doesn't take much to fill me up, but the craving for the "old" food is still there in a much bigger way than I thought it would be.

Will this pass? Am I still just getting used to this? That's the excuse I give myself...but I need to hear from others, because I don't know what is normal.

As I read on this forum, it seems like everyone is SOOO into the nutrition part of it all, and they always eat the right things and do exactly what their doctors tell them..and I wonder if they were like that from day 1 or if it took a while for the lifestyle change to really kick in.

I would appreciate any input on this, I want to really know what everyone's experience was in the first 3-6 months..

Thanks,

Debora

Good question, I'd like to know too!

Good question, I'd like to know too!

I definitely eat A LOT less. I used to eat all of a regular restaurant meal and now I bet I barely eat 1/4th of it...those portions are for NFL players! But over the 2+ years since I got my band I have kind of naturally shifted to a much healthier diet! I dont eat any meat but fish and I really focus on the good kinds of Proteins like Beans and fish because I dont have room for the junk...one 100-calories pack of something like Cookies or chips and I'm full so I really cant waste the space with stuff like that...but sometimes I do eat some junk and I dont worry about it.

Sometimes I just want cake so I eat it!

I definitely eat A LOT less. I used to eat all of a regular restaurant meal and now I bet I barely eat 1/4th of it...those portions are for NFL players! But over the 2+ years since I got my band I have kind of naturally shifted to a much healthier diet! I dont eat any meat but fish and I really focus on the good kinds of Proteins like Beans and fish because I dont have room for the junk...one 100-calories pack of something like Cookies or chips and I'm full so I really cant waste the space with stuff like that...but sometimes I do eat some junk and I dont worry about it.

Sometimes I just want cake so I eat it!

Hello

I am also agree with Xavier. I also just want cake so i also eat it.

Car accident attorney los Angeles

If I deprive myself, I end up wanting to binge later...

With the first 1/2 of my weight loss, I didn't change my diet that much. Now, I have to watch every bite. I did ease into a strict diet by making slow changes, and I still have a soda per day, which keeps me from feeling deprived. I would say that if you have only lost 22 lbs. since April, you need to start making gradual changes in your eating.

I did not lose weight in the first few months. I was not restricted and had thyroid issues. After I got restriction and got my issues taken care of, I started losing. I stopped losing though and kind of went rogue for a while. Now I am recommitted and watch everything. Even for my birthday, we are doing a lighter dessert (strawberry shortcake.) Nutrition really does matter. Even meeting the band 1/2 way will help.

Debora, all of us (or even the majority of us) consume points occasionally which are not really precisely wholesome. We consume method more healthy compared to We accustomed to, however occasionally We obtain a actual tasty deal with. I'd the dairy products full yesterday with regard to the very first time within six months. The following night I truly, truly desired a different one. We did not have it. In my opinion a person will be able to possess this stuff every now and then however for the very best, healthiest weight reduction In my opinion you have to help to make wholesome options. The thing We IN NO WAY perform is actually junk food, apart from the Soup from Wendy's.

injury lawyer new york city

new york construction accident attorneys