Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am GAINING weight

This is so frustrating. I am 9 days post op taking my Protein Drinks, getting my Water and doing ONLY liquids (and no more than 2 meals a day = Protein for breakfast) and i'm GAINING weight. Why? I realize that the body goes through a starvation mode where it doesnt' want to metabolize as fast and all that but it has been 9 days and i've gone from maintaining since surgery to gaining 2 pounds. Anyone have an answer? A solution?

i dont understand how u would be gaining weight

ur not having enuf liquids unless thats why

ur metabolism needs to move so u prob need more calories to get some weight off

maybe go and see your dietician to see if they can help you

best of luck with it

Yesterday was a Protein Shake, less than half a cup of chicken chili Soup broth from Jason's Deli and then I had baked potato soup from Saltgrass for dinner. That has been typical eating on my part throughout this phase.

It's also common to gain weight during this time as your body is in *shock* mode. This is a time to heal not worry about weight loss, trust me you will have plenty of that later!

I gained weight after surgery before my first fill. Lost 8lbs in the first week, then gradually gained back 4lbs before my first fill and I've fought those 4lbs back off and plus 3lbs more. I wouldn't worry, unfortuntaely it happens to some of us. Wait for your fill.

Jini: Just relax and breathe. I too am very nervous about the scale not moving down. I think I need to keep off the damn thing! You have a follow up this week and Dr Jay will let you know what is normal.

I want to drop my weight right now but I understand I have to heal before I can work on things. Follow the list the doc gave you, stay off the scale a couple of days and think good thoughts. This is just the first few steps of a very long journey. Don't freak out until you have to.

Now if only I could follow all that stuff above, I'd be in great shape!

The important thing is that while gaining weight, which is a measure of your body's total mass, you're not gaining fat. With what you're eating, it's physically impossible to gain 2# of fat in that amount of time. It's critical to see & understand the difference there. Weight does NOT equal fat.

The most common cause of rapid weight gain is Water retention. There are tons of things out there that cause this: menstruation (typically you start to retain 2 weeks prior and hold it until a few days after), eating salty foods, not drinking enough Water, medication, diet, season/temperature, etc.

This is why scales have killed so many diets. Someone could have lost 10# of fat, but retained 12# of water, and they think "Well crap, if I'm giving all this up and *gaining* 2# screw it, I'm going to McDonald's!"

If you want a true measure of what's going on, rely on measurements and body fat analysis. scales really don't tell you anything other than what everything in and on your body weighs at any given point in time.

Wheetsin you have a VERY good point. Say tha I am retaining Water though, how could I get rid of it? :)

Believe it or not - drinking more Water is one of the best ways. :)

Lowering sodium, avoiding hot weather, etc. My mother retains Fluid so much that she's in a prescription water pill, but you can get them OTC too, both pharmaceutical and herbal.

I was in panic mode until I came here today. I had not had my period in 16 months due to PCOS and even though I was banded on 4/28 it had not restarted. The gyn put me on Provera which I took about 2 weeks ago and started my period last Thursday. The reason for my panic was that I weigh myself on Mondays and since last week I put on 6 lbs. I know I have been eating as I should, maybe not getting quite enough Water but trying. The bowels have been functioning thanks to Miralax colace and Fiber tabs....so I was like OMG what is going on. I guess it has been a while since I have retained water. I guess I need to scoot up my water the next few days and cut out the salt (which I always crave when I do get my period). I am just glad I am not the only one. This is the first time I have put on weight since surgery and I was ready to cry...ok so maybe I still am a little but at least now I know it is the hormones. :sad:

Oh my gosh . . . my weight can fluctuate 5 pounds or more simply due to Water. Your body is going through a lot of changes post-op. I would just make sure that you are going to the bathroom regularly and getting enough fluids and Protein and put your scale away until you are recovered. 9 days is not fully recovered. In 4 weeks, you will definitely be singing a different tune.