Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My band has slipped. :(

Hang in there - as hard as being on liquids for 7 days over Thanksgiving, the band teaches us that deprivation is NEVER for EVER, like it seems.

This is very true, and I'll live through the liquids, even if it sucks. I figure that if I stick to it 100% (which I plan to) I'll lose 20-30 lbs in 3 weeks. (This comes from experience). That will put me at 70 lbs lighter than I was when I had the band put in. My hope is that if this is the case, that even if the band was too tight then, it won't be now.

Makes sense, doesn't it?

I know that my doctor takes BCBS I'm on it! I live in the Dallas area. His name is Dr. Robert Powell 972.331.8105 ask to talk to Myra (nurse) or Melissa (patient rep & Banded)

Best wishes!

Johnathon,

Do not give up. It is true that occasionally a band will right itself if unfilled and allowed to rest awhile. As for yours being too small. I'm not sure I buy that either. I would ask for a longer period. Say 30 days to see if the band will fix itself. All this means is the pouch above the band slips back down into place. It's happened for numerous people before. (Not me, but mine did move down some, just not enough.). A week on liquids seems rather silly, actually, but it may help your reflux (so will unfilling the band). Take a deep breath, focus on what you have done so far. DO NOT go back into previous naughty eating behaviors, let the band have time to show what it will do and begin again.

I don't see in your first post where you say the band has been unfilled??? This needs to take place if there is hope to have it resolve itself.

I know that my doctor takes BCBS I'm on it! I live in the Dallas area. His name is Dr. Robert Powell 972.331.8105 ask to talk to Myra (nurse) or Melissa (patient rep & Banded)

Best wishes!

Funny you should say that...

Dr. Powell is the doctor I've mentioned a few times who takes BC/BS but won't take new BC/BS patients. However, a few minutes before reading this post, I did call again and speak with Myra. I explained the situation again, and mentioned that the Surgery Center of Richardson had spoken with Dr. Powell directly and that he told them to have me call the office. So she's going to try to get in touch with him, though it will probably be Monday before I hear anything now.

At least there's hope...

Jonathan

I don't see in your first post where you say the band has been unfilled??? This needs to take place if there is hope to have it resolve itself.

It was. I went in for a fill, and they emptied me. *weep* But, for even a chance of this fixing itself, I'll do whatever they recommend.

Interesting... please keep us posted!

Did you tell them you are MY boyfriend, and they still treated you this way? Jonathan, this sucks. I'm so sorry. But I keep hearing that liquids for a week might allow the slippage to correct itself, so how can they be sure that won't happen? I don't care what they say, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping the band will slip back in place after a week on turkey broth. I'm sending good vibes your way. I suck at saying the right thing, but maybe you can spend the holiday writing all the other stuff you have to be thankful for. Easier said than done, I know. I love you & wish you the best.

Another one you might try is Dr. Wade Barker ask to speak to Earline.

I know you are going through your own private hell right now, and I feel for you. I'm not yet banded, but am going to be soon I hope. I'm going to ask lots of questions. It seems to me the biggest bands are usually best even though they may require more fills to get to where they belong.

Jonathan, can you contact a lawyer who might take this pro bono. This isn't right. I think the surgeon is responsible and knows it. That is why he is avoiding you. Hit him where it hurts. Sometimes all it takes is a letter from a lawyer to let him know you aren't taking this sitting down.

I would start calling attorneys who do this for a fee at the end. I think you have an excellent case.

Best of luck to you, and YES the doctors need to take the responsibility for fitting you with the wrong band.

North Texas Bariatric & General Surgery

4333 N. Josey Lane

Plaza II - Suite 207

Carrollton, Texas 75010

PH 972.939.8218

FX 972.395.1789

Dr Frank Veninga - he replaced my slipped band.

He also takes BC/BS although it was not my insurance.

Best of luck to you, and YES the doctors need to take the responsibility for fitting you with the wrong band.

At this point, I don't even know if it *was* the wrong band -- I just wish my doctor would avail himself enough to discuss it with me. Thanks for the support, though.

I'm sorry, but I'm sticking with Leatha. You should get a couple different opinions. I've had 5 band surgeons all agree on the same thing, but then I had 3 different opinions on another issue. Prepare for the worst but hope for the best - keep positive.