Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My band has slipped. :(

I went for my fill today -- the first under flouro. My band has slipped. Most of my stomach is sitting on top of the band.

This explains why I don't have restriction, why I've gained weight, and why I have reflux.

The techs who read the flouroscopy said that they think the band my doctor used was too small to begin with, and that I may need a new (VG) band, as opposed to fixing the placement of the one I have.

Surgery will be $4500 + doctor's fees. A new band will be $4000 on top of that. I can't afford this. I couldn't afford the $16,000 I paid for surgery the first time. I can't believe it's 10 months later, I've only lost 40 lbs, and I have to go through this all again, at this cost.

The really frustrating thing is that it's possible that my insurance company now will pay for "diagnostic surgery" which would cover the costs of the surgery to fix the placement. (Nobody can tell me what would happen in that circumstance if they found I need a new band.) However, this seems to be a moot point, as no doctor I can find will accept my insurance company. For some reason, everyone is swearing off BC/BS. Even doctors that take BC/BS aren't taking new BC/BS patients.

In the mean time, I have to go the next 7 days on liquids only, even though they said that the band is too small for the stomach to fix itself. 7 days of liquids, with no restriction, over Thanksgiving.

I want to crawl into a hole.

OH SH*T, I'm so sorry.

Are you in any pain or discomfort? I mean what would have happened if you didn't go for a fill and they didn't find this out? egads !!!!!!!!!

I'll be praying the insurance company picks up the bill. Gee guy, I'm really sorry.

HUGS !!!!

Jonathan

Sorry to hear the bad news :)

If the band is too small for the stomach to fix itself then why the liquids for 7 days? Can it slip more if you don't?

I have BC?BS so I feel your frustration, this is why I went to Mexico

hang in there and know we are all here for you with support

Oh my Im so sorry to hear this.. My heart is breaking for you! Just as long as you will be okay! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. We are all here for you!!! ((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

Jonathan

Sorry to hear the bad news :)

If the band is too small for the stomach to fix itself then why the liquids for 7 days? Can it slip more if you don't?

I have BC?BS so I feel your frustration, this is why I went to Mexico

hang in there and know we are all here for you with support

Because, they say that anytime a band slips, they always do 7 days of liquids to see if it will fix itself. Even if the odds are very very low, I guess it's worth the effort -- especially to them, since they're not the ones consuming only liquids for 7 days...

Oh man, Jon I am so sorry. I hope things work out for you. I wonder why the swearing off of BCBS covered patients? Thats sorta strange. Wishing you all the best!!!

im really really sorry that this has happened to you

hang in there we are all here to support you

Frell! that's terrible news Jonathan. It may be unlikely that it fixes itself, but don't forget, someone always wins the Lotto, as unlikely as that is too.

sending you the best

I'm so sorry Jon, Have you talked to your doctor (Dr. Fass) about why he selected the band he did.

Maybe they can reposition it?

I have BC also and went to Mexico as well, when I had trouble and the leak in my band, Dr. Sanchez re-banded me at no charge.

Please keep us informed.

wishing you the best.

OH NO! I'm so sorry to hear this. You are strong and you will figure it all out. I will pray for you and wish you the best. Who knows- maybe the 7 days will be a miracle cure? Couldn't you start the 7 days on Friday? :-)

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

Megan

Man - I will pray for you. I am so sorry for all of your troubles and worries about the costs. That is just all to horrible!!!

I cannot imagine what a let down you feel. Know that my heart is with you and that I am feeling your frustration, fear and know that I will continue to say a prayer for you that all will work out for the best for you.

Take care - Nancy

Oh, Jonathan, I'm so sorry! Here's hoping the best for you, and that you find some way through the insurance hurdles. :)

Fingers crossed an answer appears.

Oh Jonathan, you were just jumping back on the wagon too. Look at it this way at least you found out and didn't wait longer to go to the doctor and maybe cause some major problems. I know you will find your way through this and we are all by your side also. Please keep us updated on the procedure...and good luck.

Jonathan, Congrats on your weight loss thus far! So sorry to hear about your slippage. I too, suffered a slippage I was 9 months out from surgery when it happened to me. I am so sorry for your worries, but please do try to get it replaced. I, too, had a band put in me the wrong size, and that was the reason of the slippage. I will pray your insurance sees it as a medical necessity for your continued health in the future. I would do it all over again, although I realize you are self pay and I was blessed to have insurance coverage, but please do consider getting a personal loan if needed to get it done. YOU ARE WORTH IT! We take out loans for things we sometimes don't need, such as boats, cruises, etc, why not invest in your most valuable asset - YOU!

I will pray it works out for you financially and that you get replacement with the bigger VG band (what I had put in second time around). I have lost a total of 135 pounds and feel it would be worth paying a loan back to a bank in order to feel better and protect your health for the future.

Take care and May God give you peace and knowledge in what to do here.

Brenda

Oh Jonathan... I am so sorry! I feel your pain on the Blue Cross thing, too. I haven't got much good to say about them... They SHOULD have covered your band in the first place, and they still should cover it now - but who knows if they will.

I wish you the best of luck!!

Hugs!!