Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What would you do re: Family Reunion?

I need some input from BTDT banders!

My surgery is set for 6/29! My family is having a large reunion the weekend of 7/9. So that's 10 days out from surgery and I'm wondering if I'm going to be miserable the entire time; physically and emotionally. (not to mention it's going to be 500^ where it's being held!)

Will I feel up to it?? What the heck will I be eating then since I doubt I'll be able to eat the food at the reunion. It's just aggravating not being able to predict how I'm going to be feeling and dealing with the whole food issue while being out of town for three days.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! TIA!

Oh boy..The first two weeks is kind of hellish because of the liquid stage.You are in a sort of weakened state because your body is surviving on very little. No to mention the trapped gas issues, and just the discomfort. Even though i was shopping the next day, it was MAYBE AT 50 to 60%. Thats gonna be a tough one. Can you reschedule till after the reunion? Unless you are a very cheerfull upbeat person, expect to feel a LITTLE CRABBY..............GOOD LUCK

You'll be fine. Most of us go back to work 4 or 5 days after surgery and that is much more trying than a vacation.

Try and sit as far away from the food as possible to keep the temptations down.

I believe you should reschedule til after the reunion. Personally i just came back from a wedding and ended up cheating because everyone was pushing food in my face, asking y i wasnt eating, and saying o just a little bit wont hurt. Well i never told everyone that i was banded so they didnt understand. You probably wont be able to play the games they have at reunions.. Id change it as long as you promise yourself to get it done soon after.

I went to my DH's college graduation 3 days post op. It was fine. There were 650 graduates so the ceremony was long and I was sitting on bleachers. I didn't feel nearly as bad as I thought I might.

As far as food is concerned, you will probably be on full liquids at that time. Plan ahead and pack a small cooler full of your favorite liquids and shakes. Will you be outside the whole time or will there be places indoors to sit comfortably? Will you have access to a microwave to heat up Soup? Do members of your family know about the surgery?

You won't be able to eat the food there, or participate in a bunch of games and activities, but you can still go and visit with relatives. I wouldn't reschedule.

I was fine at that stage. Eating was of interest, and being entertained by others would have been awesome.

I would go. I felt fine 3 days out. As far as the food goes you are going to have to learn to deal with it. Even if you were six months out you would have to deal with all the Desserts and stuff there. Even with full restriction that stuff goes down easy.

You might find the company welcoming. I won't lie...10 days out was right around the time I was asking myself if I did the right thing. Only because I was getting completely miserable with the liquids, I didn't feel like myself, and I started the pity party. But being 5 weeks out now, trust me...it passes. And when you start seeing the results, those feelings are put to rest...but never forgotten. Go...plan to have the liquids, or other diet your doctor requires at day 10, and replace your meal with your special family time. One piece of advice my doctor gave me when I started listing all the functions that I had coming up was "if you wrote down every single eating event you have throughout the year, you wouldn't have surgery for another 2 years." Just do it! You are so close to your date! And good luck!

I would go too...at that point I felt fine, hungry but fine. I would make sure you don't over do it and don't go spend 12 hours outside in 200 degree weather....if you're still on liquids you'll probably a little run down still.

Stay hydrated and wear a hat...sorry for the mom msg. I tend to get headaches if I don't wear a hat in the sun anymore. just a weird change in my life.

GO! ten days post surgery I was at work, doing massages...i was tired because of the little amount of food that was there....also I started pureed on day nine...so if you're allowed have some cottage cheese with some pureed fruit on top, or some mashed potatos (those are always at our reunions) or take some refried beans....i really think you'll feel fine! and the previous poste was right, you may not be able to play games, but that gives you PLENTY of time for visiting....and you might be surprised at the support you'll get...if you choose to tell people...i randomly, unexpectedly told my extended family, and found out two of my second cousins were having the surgery in a few months! you never know. goodluck!!

I agree, go! There will always be something coming up that will make the surgery a little inconvienant. I had mine right before Thanksgiving, and haven't looked back since.

I was like suebydoo, day 10 I was really starting to question if I had done the right thing. I didn't have any restriction yet, was starting to feel better but very crabby that I couldn't eat. It does pass though! I say go and have a good time, there will be times where an event comes up and you just had a fill and you are on liquids and mushies it's just part of it, but once the weight starts coming off it is well worth it!

Thank you for all the great advice! I took it to heart and decided, knowing myself, I should opt out of the reunion. It's a 5hr drive one way, with two little kids by myself, and getting used to my new way of life would be just asking for a meltdown!! I know how I am, and it just sounds like a bad idea all around. I told a few of my immediate family and they concur! haha

Thanks for everything though. I did consider it, but those who thought I should postpone the surgery...ummm, ya, NO WAY! I've jumped through too many hoops to reach this goal and there is nothing, of my own doing, that is going to get in the way of surgery day!!

That would have been my option to just not go to the reunion.