Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

not sure what just happened. at 3:00 I had lunch which consisted of pureed tuna and egg with a smidge of miracle whip to take dryness away (1/8 cup) and lowfat cottage cheese (1/8 cup). everything went down great. 4:30 rolls around and I had THE worse pain right at my stenum radiating to my back! I couldn't breathe, couldn't sit stand nothing....oh it hur! I could swallow Water thoug....lasted 5 minutes and then it went away....back is still sore though...

any opinions on whst it was? I go for my two week post op on wed...so i'm gonna ask them too...

thanks friends!

ps...weighed myself this morning and I am down a total of 30 lbs from the start of my preop (may5)!!!! :thumbup:

not sure what just happened. at 3:00 I had lunch which consisted of pureed tuna and egg with a smidge of miracle whip to take dryness away (1/8 cup) and lowfat cottage cheese (1/8 cup). everything went down great. 4:30 rolls around and I had THE worse pain right at my stenum radiating to my back! I couldn't breathe, couldn't sit stand nothing....oh it hur! I could swallow Water thoug....lasted 5 minutes and then it went away....back is still sore though...

any opinions on whst it was? I go for my two week post op on wed...so i'm gonna ask them too...

thanks friends!

ps...weighed myself this morning and I am down a total of 30 lbs from the start of my preop (may5)!!!! :thumbup:

Sounds like you were stuck. I would just avoid tuna for a bit and try it again another time. Chili was my problem. I didn't eat it for a year almost. It is kind of a trial and error thing on how you figure out what you can tolerate. Good luck!

That's twice today that somebody said they got stuck 90 minutes after eating.

I get stuck fairly often lately and feel it immediately. So, I thought everyone did.

How many others get stuck more than an hour after eating?

I also think it would be weird to get stuck so long after eating. When I have gotten stuck I know exactly which bite of food was the offending bit! It's been immediate, and unpleasant.

But it sounds like a "stuck" sort of feeling!

I also know straight away that I have a problem. Even when its due to having eaten too much it quicks in straight away.

Mine is immediate. I can feel the stuck episode right after eating too big a bite or not chewing enough. But it happen right away and there is nothing I can do. But I, too, feel that what you're describing is being "stuck". tuna is not an easy food. It is very dry. Some people can't eat eggs anymore either. I'm glad I'm not one of them. Best wishes!!

Mine is immediate. I can feel the stuck episode right after eating too big a bite or not chewing enough. But it happen right away and there is nothing I can do. But I, too, feel that what you're describing is being "stuck". tuna is not an easy food. It is very dry. Some people can't eat eggs anymore either. I'm glad I'm not one of them. Best wishes!!

I am the same way! I left my 6 year old daughter at the table in a resturant alone w/ my purse and ran to the bathroom because I took too big of a bite of salad. I was shaking and started to sweat on my brow! It was horrible. I haven't been sour on any particular foods, I can eat pretty much what I want - it's more me learning how to eat smaller bites and waiting in between them. Once I can master that, I should be good. Until then, being "stuck" sucks!

Interesting conversation. I don't have anything to contribute as I'm only one month post-op and haven't yet had an adjustment. However, just wondering for those who have been stuck - how long, in general, does a stuck episode last? I see you're all able to identify the offending foods immediately, how long until it passes. Getting stuck is my greatest fear. I almost didn't get the surgery because of it. Others on the message board said that while it is painful, it's not so bad that its worth not having the surgery over. So, i'm curious about the "stuck" experience.

Interesting conversation. I don't have anything to contribute as I'm only one month post-op and haven't yet had an adjustment. However, just wondering for those who have been stuck - how long, in general, does a stuck episode last? I see you're all able to identify the offending foods immediately, how long until it passes. Getting stuck is my greatest fear. I almost didn't get the surgery because of it. Others on the message board said that while it is painful, it's not so bad that its worth not having the surgery over. So, i'm curious about the "stuck" experience.

It just hurts. Best way to describe it would be to swallow a pizza crust, like a big piece and when it gets into your esophagas, it turns sideways instead of length wise and it gets stuck. Water or anything else you're drinking will not cure the stuck food, it only makes it worse. Before the band, drinking something usually helps whatever is caught pass but not with the band. You have to suck it up, know it's going to pass and be happy when it does. It's very uncomfortable, feels like horrible heartburn and makes you want to move into instant yoga positions to try and help it go down LOL but it doesn't help. It's a reminder the band is doing it's job and you need to do yours by taking smaller bites, chewing really good and letting your food settle before taking more. I didn't know what the stuck feeling was while on liquids or softs (don't let mashed potatos fool you - those suckers can hurt too!) but as soon as you get brave and think you can take a bite of bread when it's served at a resturant or too big of a bite of anything, you'll know. If you haven't experienced it - you're doing a fantastic job and keep up what you're doing! :rolleyes:

I'm 2 weeks post-op today and I have that pain in my sternum and shoulder blade constantly (to varying degrees) and have had since I awoke from surgery!

Does anyone else have this issue? I'm hoping, hoping, hoping that it goes away soon coz its horrible!

:rolleyes:

I'm 2 weeks post-op today and I have that pain in my sternum and shoulder blade constantly (to varying degrees) and have had since I awoke from surgery!

Does anyone else have this issue? I'm hoping, hoping, hoping that it goes away soon coz its horrible!

:rolleyes:

Just Banded:

That is called gas~ Yes I know what you need to do is grab an heating pad and apply it. This too shall pass~

Congrats and good luck!

S

It feels like you're a vampire and you've been staked through the heart. You feel like you can't breathe but if you relax you will realize there is nothing wrong with your breathing.

Don't fear it, it will happen sooner or later. At the same time, do everything you can to avoid it. Small bites and chew forever before swallowing.

I got stuck twice before any adjustments (fills) at all.

I think I may have had my first somewhat "stuck" incident yesterday. It was on my second bite of chicken. It felt to hard to go down, then I got hard hiccups and I had to spit some of the chicken out (felt like it was stuck in my throat). Then my chest hurt a bit, I kept having to hiccup and my mouth started Water so much I had to spit a few times. It only lasted a few minutes though and I was back to normal. Would you describe that as stuck?

just wanted to give an update...the same thing happened last night (having pain an hour and a half later...etc etc) anyways, i went to the nutritionist today and talked to her about it...she said that she doubts i was stuck...especially since it happened so long after my last bite. she said i probably ate too much...or too fast. didnt know eating a half a cup of food would one day be ''too much'' haha. so she put me on liquids today to just help me heal...and to try mushies again tomorrow. thanks for all of your input!

:biggrin:

It could be due to pressure on a certain nerve at the top of your stomach, where the band was placed. I had this same pain and it lasted about 6 weeks and slowly dissipated. Now it is gone completely. But i thought it would never go away. As it dissipated I would only get it when I was too full or stuck. I am soooooo glad that it went away. Know that with time you'll feel better. It could still be gas but I would doubt that it would last 2 weeks. The gas pains you get from the surgery usually only last about 5 days. Use adult strength liquid tylenol or any liquid pain reliever if it really gets bad. Best wishes!