Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unsure of which road to take...

So, I'm not a blogger, or writer for that matter but thought that this would be a good tool for me to get used to using. I am obviously pre-op as I don't even know which procedure, if any, I will end up with. My primary physician is the one who has lead me onto this path and I have researched it alot and finally made a consultaion apointment with a surgeon in my area. I have SO many questions... Lap-Band or Gastric Bypass? gurgling? dumping? slime? fills? I am still young, so how will either of these affect a pregnancy later down the road? My list is endless and I sure hope this doc had a TON of time to spend with me. LOL. Thanks to anyone who had read this and I wish you all happy trecking...

Hi Arfey,

I am pre-op and know how you feel. I have recently made my decision and feel confident with it but it took me awhile to get here. I have spent and still spend a LOT of time reading this site as well as others and reading anything I can find as well as talking to others. We have to take this seriousely as it will affect the rest of our lives.

For most of us the process takes awhile and I think thats a good thing because we nned that time to learn.

Good luck to you on your journey, whatever you choose I know it will be the right choice for you!

Arfey- find a local seminar on weight loss surgery- you will come out with a lot of these questions answered. I am not sure how much you need to lose, but I strongly recommend the band over all others. You won't lose weight quite as fast, but you also get to keep all those parts that God gave you ( the whole partial stomach and intestines removal always kind of erks me)... and to top it all off, its reversable if need be. As far as pregnancy post- band it is possible. My surgeon advises to wait 1.5 years after the band though. Good luck in your decision

i was confused for a long time about which procedure to have as well. I decided on the Band because it is adjustable. If you need a little extra restriction... you can have it. If you decide you lost enough weight and want to eat normally you can have some taken out of the band or stop getting fills. I had no one in my life who has a band but quite a few who have the gastric bypass but they absorbtion only lasts for 15-18 months and then you could start gaining weight back...like Carnie Wilson from Wilson-Phillips and Randy Jackson from American Idol(He had a band put in over his gastrc bypass)... I wanted to learn to eat right and I am still learning. I am thrilled with my decision and excited that I have lost 44 pounds so far... and counting. It is a difficult decision to make but once I get this weight off, I need to have the band's support to keep it off and I will keep it off. Every pound that goes...Is not coming back. Alot of doctors are putting the band over a gastric bypass when they begin to gain back but I wasn't going to take the risk of getting my insurance to pay again... It was alot of hoops to jump through... to get here. The slower you lose weight, the less loose skin....bonus.:tongue2:

Thanks to all you LOVELY ladies for the tips and advice! I am definitely leaning more towards the band which is why I ended up posting here on this site, but still have those questiosn before I make my decision. I have my consultation on Wednesday so hopefully things will start to be more clear and then move along quickly after that. I hope to continue blogging on here as things progress.

Happy losing to all:tongue2: