Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mourning over departing with food

I was just banded 1 week ago... everything is going great, but I think I just got my first intense craving for my favorite sandwich at claim jumpers and I am a little upset about it. I just hope that maybe someday I may be able to have a small portion of it again. I think I am just anxious to see which foods I will tolerate and which ones I wont... I have 3 more weeks of Clear Liquids (my surgeon requires liquid diet 2 weeks before and 4 weeks after- super militant style) and I just hope that I will still be able to enjoy the foods I always have at somepoint down the road. I don't regret my decision to have done this at all and I knew that I would have moments like this when I really MISS solid food! I guess I just wanted to vent and maybe hear other stories on the issue of mourning those old favorites of ours =)

If you listen to your band, and take your cues from it, you may be able to eat your favorite foods again, just a lot less of them. It will depend on you and how tight you need you band to be to lose and then maintain your weight. I would, however, stay away from your favorite foods for a few months. Wait to try them at least until a couple of weeks after your first fill. You don't want the temptation while you are completely unrestricted. Be aware, however, while you are at good restriction the sandwich may not work for you. It is simply a trial and error kind of thing. I do not keep my band tight, so I enjoy all of the foods I used to eat. I just eat about 1/3 of what I did prior to banding. My band does exactly as I hoped it would. It helps me to be satisfied with less food. It is at the right restriction to help me, but not have control over me. Good luck!

I know exactly what you mean NurseKatie. Though I'm only 3 days post surgery, I've had a few of these moments myself. My surgeon requires 2 weeks of full liquids post-surgery, then two more weeks of mushy foods before solid food is reintroduced. I miss chewing at this point. I'd probably eat some bark, leaves, and grass from the yard if I thought it wouldn't hurt me.

My surgery was on a Monday. I was on Clear Liquids for two weeks prior. The Saturday prior to my surgery, I was invited to a "can't miss" family-type function which was a crab boil. I love me some crab legs. I watch "Deadliest Catch" and when they dump the crab pots onto the sorting table, I used to think "Yep, I could probably eat that much". Anyhow, I had a Protein shake before and a couple of sugar-free popsicles during, and voila...I made it, crab-free. Not-so-instant empowerment...I'm sure you've had similar moments.

Hang in there...it's all worth it. I've learned a lot about myself in these last 3 weeks and will learn even more in the next 3. I know you've had positive experiences also. I'm not going to let food have the kind of control over me in the future which it has enjoyed in the past. Neither will you.

Someday I'll be able to take a shot at some crab legs, but it won't be a whole pot full. It may just be a couple of small pieces, but that's o.k. Heck, maybe I won't even like it anymore? (Doubt it) ;-)

I was lucky...only 1 week on clear liquids...and even then I was allowed milk based thin liquids after a few days. Another week of thicker, blended stuff, then a week of mushy or soft foods. All my doctor asked was that I not have anything crisp or hard before my first fill...so no raw veggies, fruit, steak, or pork (unless minced). This let me test some of the foods I thought I'd miss the most and reassure myself that there is life after the band. I had no problems with anything...and my band is working well after my second fill. I need more restriction but haven't craved anything. One thing I took away from WW is that there is no such thing as a "bad" food. All foods have calorie and nutrition content and it is just up to us to figure out if the food will fit into our diet regimen...either as a staple or a treat. We may decide, with education, that it is not worth it...and give up that food as being a waste of calories. Or we may decide that once in a while is OK. So your favorites are out for now, but you are the only one to decide whether they are gone forever.

Thanks guys- responses did help me! I guess I just need a pep-talk every now and then =)

I'm already mourning food and I'm not even banded yet! How's that for being sad?!?! haha

Claim Jumper is awesome so I totally feel your pain and I guess it's easy for me to give it up since there isn't one in Texas!!

Just like the others told you, you might be able to still eat what you love, but you will quickly learn if you can tolerate it and how much. One of my first posts on here was about if I would be able to still eat mexican food after the band!! Thankfully most said I still could, so just like your sandwich, you just might be able to have a tiny portion of it someday!

GL!!

well.....I'm in "banster hell" right now. I was less prepared for this than I was for the liquid/mushy/soft diet post-op. I am now progresed to regular food, but have no restriction. My surgery was 3/31, and I won't have my first fill for another 2 weeks on June 3rd. Since I have no restriction....and CAN eat anything i ate pre-op.....the struggle is not eating it. And the psychological aspect of that is about making me crazy! Because knowing I can eat anything i want NOW.....but won't be able to once I start getting fills is like having a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. "You should eat that now....because soon you won't be able to......no, no, no....don't do it...keep yourself on track!" On top of that, since I have resumed exercising my appetite has increased. I guess my point here is to be prepared for many different stages of this game, and many different emotions related to food.

Stargate- hang in there- I think I have that same devil visiting my shoulder sometimes... just envision yourself duct taping his mouth when he speaks and give the angel on the other shoulder a microphone =) I know how hard this is for all of us at first... especially those of us in the beginning of our journeys, but I just keep telling myself that it WILL get easier! We just have to be patient... we knew what we were in for when we signed up for this thing... we knew how tough times were gonna be. The whole "listening to that devil on the shoulder thing" is why we are all here right now ( he doesn't usually give good advice)

I know this feeling! I am only 3 day post op but my brother came home with gyros and cheesy fries... MY FAVORITE. I seriously licked the cheese and gyro sauce....

I almost ate a piece of gyro meat, I kept telling myself ill chew it till it just dissolves! But i talked myself out of it, I still have 2 and a half weeks before I get to solid foods.

I know one day I will be able to eat this stuff in moderation I just have been on liquids for 2 and a half weeks and its just about getting to me now!

I am 5 weeks pre-op. I started mourning my best friend "FOOD" a couple weeks ago. I decided to talk to a therapist to discuss my life long love affair with food. I know I'm going to go thru the same cravings:scared2:

but I will fight like hell to stay with the program.

We have to remember FOOD has ruled our lives long enough. My health has been ruined by Food. Now we all want to feel better!!! We are here to support each other. Please hang in there everyone!!

Hi, Ask your brother, family and friends to not bring that food around for you to smell or see. He can eat in his room or out. Please be strong. You've come too far!!

Carol D'

Well, just from your post, I can tell you had Dr. OH. He's doing mine next week. I didn't know he required 4 weeks of liquid afterward!! I'm barely getting thru the 2 weeks. I do think he's a bit excessive. I heard he's a good surgeon, which is good, cause he sure has a terrible bedside manner.

Oh my gosh, I had the exact same feeling during the pre-op diet and, between that and being so hungry and fearful of the experience, I almost cancelled the surgery. I literally had to sit quietly for a while and mourn the end of my relationship with food and questioned whether this journey was really worth the loss. I was reading about the people with all the complications (nausea, vomiting, etc.) and thought to myself why would I give up the ecstatic feeling I had after eating for misery?

Then, I thought about my hyperinsulinism, my high blood pressure, my painful knees, the numbness in my outer thigh, ...need I go on? So, I decided to look at that list instead, logged onto this forum literally all night before my surgery for inspiration, and I am glad to say I went through it and don't intend to go back. :)

Hi, Ask your brother, family and friends to not bring that food around for you to smell or see. He can eat in his room or out. Please be strong. You've come too far!!

Carol D'

My brother would laugh in my face if I asked him that. lol

Nean,

Your health is not a joke and I'd let him know it. All you're asking for is a little support. Then you are going to go in your room or take a ride or a walk.

Stick up for yourself!! You are going to do this!!

I'm sure this is the hardest time just post-op.

BE Strong!! We're behind you. I'm hoping you'll be there when I need your help:smile2:?

Carol D'