Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All I have eaten today

I am on my 2 week pre-op diet

and i have eaten one Protein shake with almond milk, a half banana, and a tablespoon of Peanut Butter and one bottle of diet snapple.

I am finally getting hungry enough to want to have another shake soon.

This is how its been for about 4 days now. Is it bad that im not eating more than this, im still dropping the weight daily. I just am no longer hungry.

As the last-minute pre-op diets are intentionally meant to be short term fat-blasters before surgery, I think you are fine. I have been approved by my Dr. to be on a 500 calorie-per-day shake diet IF I come in for blood work every 2 weeks. But, if I add a 'sensible meal' to that 500 calories, I have not needed to come in for blood work. My surgery date got bumped so for about a month I was just maintaining the weight loss I needed to get a surgery date, but now I am on the 2 week pre-surgery weight loss diet and am eating shakes/protein. Every day into this (I am day 6 this morning) I find I am able to get by eating just a little less than the day before.

Even on a day when I wondered if I was eating "too much" I still had a headache, so knew my body was detoxing from something that I didn't need.

I'd recommend following whatever diet your doctor prescribed.... pretty much to the letter...

I'd recommend following whatever diet your doctor prescribed.... pretty much to the letter...

Theres no way I can eat 4-5 shakes a day and all the Water they want me to drink. I would be drinking all day and then to the bathroom every hour.

Im hoping that losing the weight is shrinking my liver :-/

Actually, the extra Protein (from the shakes) is what spurs the release of glycogen from the liver.

If you're adding things like almond milk, banana, and peanut butter--but skipping most of the shakes that were prescribed---you're coming in waaaay low on calories, but you're not getting the Protein bolus that tells the body, "Hey! You need to release glycogen from the liver for energy!"

The banana further interferes with the delivery of this message. As does the almond milk (even though it's lower in carbs than cow's milk).

It's a really good idea to do what you've been told to do. Yes, you'll be in the bathroom a lot. But the Fluid volume of 5 shakes is not greater than the volume of liquids you'd drink otherwise.

If you need a band, you must know, on some level, that doing things your way doesn't work. This is a prime example of that being the case. Do what the expert has told you to do.

You have a lifetime to figure out what works for you, if you don't want to play by the rules. But this is a surgical safety issue---and when a surgeon is putting his license on the line to provide you with an elective surgery you've requested, you really kind of owe it not only to yourself, but to the surgeon, to do what is asked of you to reduce the risks of that surgery.

Im getting the daily amount of Protein im suppose to. If I drink 5 shakes a day I would be getting 150g of Protein just from the powder alone.

I was told that im allowed to add those things into my shakes...

idk anymore :-/ ... guess ill just cross my fingers and see how it turns out monday.

Actually Betsy is right, I was not taking into account the protein/carb balance and the banana.< /p>

I called my doctors office... they told me its fine as long as im hitting my Protein goal.. but i was told to drink more Water...

thanks guys :-)

I'm glad you called---that was a good idea :scared2:

NEAN!!

You're a lifesaver, girlie, and I bet you don't even known it :)

I'm here having all these doubts and second thoughts on the first day of my pre-op diet, but I'm glad to hear from you though about how you're doing. I'll be happy to get all my Protein and eventually be less hungry.

Today's going pretty well tbh, but it's the head-hunger...I've had to stop reading a book describing ppl pigging out on Mickey D's :crying: and switch to watching a show about serial killers lol. And I still have my s/f fudge pops to look forward to...:drool:

Just trying to hang in there, for reals...

The first day of my pre-op diet was horrible. I had the worst headache, i felt weak, tired. The whole first week I was tired but that has gone away. I mean of course when my brother comes home with mexican food at 11 at night I want to eat it, but not because im hungry just because I want it!

Im trying to eat more today. its so hard drinking my shakes and my stomach is so full to the point where it hurts.

It will get better I promise! Im ready for mushies though!

I feel awful today too, but it's cuz I'm on day 3 of the first cold I've had in at least a year. Which I came down with, ironically, after I'd started taking a handful of Vitamins and supplements.

But it may have curbed my appetite so I guess it's an even exchange.

I'm ready for mushies too! There's a place a little ways from my house called clementine's that makes this yummy lobster pate, and a range of charcuterie, including something called "shrimp butter"...:)

ahhhh the things we appreciate when we can't have them lol

Oh yuck! I hope you feel better. This pre-op diet is really screwing with my body so I know the feeling.

Once your liver starts releasing glycogen--a handful of days into the diet, you'll probably feel TONS better. Right now, your body's missing the quick fix of carbohydrate as fuel. (Your body's cells use that most efficiently for energy). It will get the message to release the carbohydrate stored in the liver---which makes a huge difference in how you feel.

This is all hitting very close to home! I'm 24 hours into pre-op Clear liquids and I am soooooooooo groggy. I can't concentrate or focus for the life of me. I'll probably go home soon, I'm not doing any good just sitting here. I had the same feelings though, "This is a result of detoxing from all the crap I eat on a regular basis." Usually when I feel like this I eat something. Most of the time it's healthy, sometimes it's not. So I guess technically this is a good thing, but damn if it's not draining me.

The really strange and slightly wonderful thing is that I am not very physically hungry and the mental hunger hasn't hit yet - though I know it will.