Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction depends on your size?

I had my third fill just over a week ago and have a total of 7cc's in my 10cc band. I admitted to my surgeon that I was getting a little frustrated that I have to have so much in my band and am still not at my sweet spot. I asked how can some people be restricted at 3 or 4 cc's and I am at 7 and still not at my sweet spot? He said that it was because I am not as big and don't have as much weight to lose (even though my goal is to lose close to 100lbs). Does anyone know why this is, or have you experienced this yourself? I feel like my band is going to have to be "topped off" before I even get to my sweet spot!!!

My doctor said something similar to me, he chose a 9.75cm 4cc band, which was more commonly in use 5 years ago when I was banded. I dont have particularly small organs he said, not a tiny stomach, but not as much fat around it at a BMI of 36 as someone may have at 46. So i got the smaller band.

I've always had great restriction with this band, I think its easier to get restriction with them than the newer bands, much easier, but the newer bands' designs have less risk of erosion and slippage. However, I do have over 3mls in my band and can easily eat bread, can eat about a cup or a bit more of food at a time etc. So to have the "tightness" that others seem to want, I'd have to go close to the limit. Thankfully, I've never seemed to need that level of restriction, I lost all my weight easily still eating a reasonable amount of food and from all food groups.

Hi Mary!

I'm from Michigan too! I had my surgery at GHP in Grand Rapids, where did you go for yours?

I have had the same issue as you -- I have the larger 14cc band and it seemed like it took me FOREVER to get it adjusted to a good point -- that event happened with my 6th fill last month. I'm not sure how much I have in there -- forgot to get the amount he put in last month, but when I went in for that fill, I had 10ccs in.

Please hang in there, I know it is so frustrating! I was beginning to think that somehow I screwed something up inside and that I end up a failure. My surgeon assured me that some people just take a lot more fills and time to get to restriction. You will get there eventually. In the mean time, I see by your ticker that you have done a great job losing weight on your own with very little help from the band. Kuddos to you for all your hard work!

I was feeling your same frustrations. Just hang in there and it will happen. I also have a 10cc band. I didn't start to get good restriction until I hit about 8. I just went in at the end of last week and got .5cc put in to bring me to 9.5cc, I'm to the point right now where I'm barely able to take anything in, so I might need to go get a small unfill. Don't worry you'll hit that spot

Hey Trixie-I had surgery at Covenant in Saginaw.

After reading everyone's responses and seeing that what I am going through is "normal", I called to make another fill appointment because the good restriction I had for the first 8 days after my fill is now gone. My doctor does fills every other Friday, with this Friday being the next appointment. They told me there was no openings for this Friday and I can't go the next fill day because I have clinical (I am in nursing school) until later in the day and have to drive 1 1/2 hours to get the fill, and couldn't get an appointment late enough. On top of that, my insurance starts over in June, so I wanted to get all my fills in while I had my deductible paid, and don't really have the money right now to pay the $120 for a fill, so I put my name on the cancellation list for this Friday and hopefully I will get a call!

If not, I guess it's back to pure willpower, which has gotten most of my 28lbs off in the first place...

I have the same issue. I think i need another fill then too. I had my surgery on 10/09 and i have only lost 25lbs and that was in the first 2 months. I have been a t a stand still for about 2 months. I think it is time. I too am not as heavy as most so it may take me more fills. This helps. I am going to call and make an apt for another fill. :-)

I asked about this very thing at my last appointment. I have an 11cc Realize band, with around 9.5 ccs in it. I have good restriction now, and was one of the lucky ones that have a great doc who knows the band is useless with the fills! He gave me 5ccs my first fill, then it just took two more to get me where I'm at now.

He told me it all depends on how much fatty tissue we have around our actual stomach, not what we weigh etc. The less fatty tissue on or internal stomach, the more fill you will need to make the band tight. It makes sense to me. SO.....take it with a grain of salt, thats just what my doc says....

i don't know about size being a factor...

i only had to lose 80 pounds total to be considered "normal" and i was banded with a 10cc band.

i only have 4.4cc right now and can't tolerate being any tighter. at my highest i was at about 5.2cc and threw up after almost every meal.

I was at 11cc in a 14cc band without restriction, and I am definitely not on the small side! :smile2:

I had .25cc added last week and am now too tight. I think it's just swelling, but I am really, really hoping this is my sweet spot. Almost six months out, I'd love for the band to help my hunger!

It's great to know I'm not alone. My MD has never mentioned anything about restriction depending on size, but it sort of makes sense. I have actually thought alot about the anatomy of it all because I have just over 9 ml in an 11 ml band and not enough restriction yet. I've lost about 32 lbs in 10 months since surgery, painfuly slow, but better than gaining! :smile: Part of reason for slow wt loss is that I break "rules," but the reason I break rules is because I'm hungry! Yet another confirmation that the band/WLS is a tool, not the answer. It's funny, I've told my patients that for years (I'm a registered dietitian), but when you go through it yourself it REALLY hits home. :smile2: I'm going for another fill at the end of the month. Hoping to find my "sweet spot" this time. In the meantime, trying to refocus on the guidelines. Hang in there!

My surgeon said that the size of your fat pad over your stomach will affect how much fill it takes to feel restriction... the bigger the fat pad, the less it would take, but as you lose weight, the fat pad will get smaller and the band will loosen up.

It's great to know I'm not alone. My MD has never mentioned anything about restriction depending on size, but it sort of makes sense. I have actually thought alot about the anatomy of it all because I have just over 9 ml in an 11 ml band and not enough restriction yet. I've lost about 32 lbs in 10 months since surgery, painfuly slow, but better than gaining! :smile: Part of reason for slow wt loss is that I break "rules," but the reason I break rules is because I'm hungry! Yet another confirmation that the band/WLS is a tool, not the answer. It's funny, I've told my patients that for years (I'm a registered dietitian), but when you go through it yourself it REALLY hits home. :smile2: I'm going for another fill at the end of the month. Hoping to find my "sweet spot" this time. In the meantime, trying to refocus on the guidelines. Hang in there!

here is one for the record. I was banded in 2007 I ahd to be filled and unfilled and then refilld due to reflux. OIn march 2010 I ahd a fill 0.25 I ahve a 10 cc band the Dr. said I ahd 5 cc's, well I ahd to change Dr's due to new health insurance so I found a wonderman Dr. he and I went over my medical records twice and on the day of my first fill with the new Dr. he seen that I had the 10cc band and that I ahd 5 cc's fill but he was shocked to see that I actually had 7 ccs in my band, he again went over my records and yes I seen the 5ccs from March 2010, he had me raise up a bit to see the syringe and well yes 7cc's of fill not the 5ccs as recorded. He told me that it was no wonder that my band did not rupture for this could happen due to how many times I was poked with needles filling and un filling and refilling and it was a lot too! I have lost 118 pounds and maintained my weight the same weight for 2 years, I cannot lose any more weight and i will gain about 3 pounds and lose it but never anymore. I am not over filled nor am I tight, I do feel my restriction and I ahve no reflux I get hungry but it will passs quickly. I eat small portions and exercise like a maniac, walking and running and well I can't drop a pound below 180. I wear a size 8/10 misses my BMI is now 28 hmm so is my waist size come to think of it. What am i complaining about> well according to my weight scale, my height 5'3 1/2 and the BMI I am still considered obese. I just want to lose the goal weight which was always 145 pounds for me but i am stuck, stuck for two years this month any ideas out tehre, Been thinking about the HCG diet

I dont know what size band i have. i was given 5cc my first fill and only feel slight restriction. I feel like i can eat just like i did before.I have been doing good most of the time , but have ate a few times more than i should. was so scared thought i would hurt myself or something, but found only a slight feeling of full.Is this normal??

Edited by jewell70
spelling

here is one for the record. I was banded in 2007 I ahd to be filled and unfilled and then refilld due to reflux. OIn march 2010 I ahd a fill 0.25 I ahve a 10 cc band the Dr. said I ahd 5 cc's, well I ahd to change Dr's due to new health insurance so I found a wonderman Dr. he and I went over my medical records twice and on the day of my first fill with the new Dr. he seen that I had the 10cc band and that I ahd 5 cc's fill but he was shocked to see that I actually had 7 ccs in my band, he again went over my records and yes I seen the 5ccs from March 2010, he had me raise up a bit to see the syringe and well yes 7cc's of fill not the 5ccs as recorded. He told me that it was no wonder that my band did not rupture for this could happen due to how many times I was poked with needles filling and un filling and refilling and it was a lot too! I have lost 118 pounds and maintained my weight the same weight for 2 years, I cannot lose any more weight and i will gain about 3 pounds and lose it but never anymore. I am not over filled nor am I tight, I do feel my restriction and I ahve no reflux I get hungry but it will passs quickly. I eat small portions and exercise like a maniac, walking and running and well I can't drop a pound below 180. I wear a size 8/10 misses my BMI is now 28 hmm so is my waist size come to think of it. What am i complaining about> well according to my weight scale, my height 5'3 1/2 and the BMI I am still considered obese. I just want to lose the goal weight which was always 145 pounds for me but i am stuck, stuck for two years this month any ideas out tehre, Been thinking about the HCG diet

Hi Sharronann2u,

I have a similiar story as yours! I went in on last week for a fill and it was recorded that I had 5.5cc in my 10cc band but when the nurse withdrew all of my fill it was 7cc's!! She told me to stand up so that I could see it and more fill came out and it stopped at 7.4cc's!! I was like W:eek:W!! She tried to fill me with .3cc and it just sat there under the fluroscope so she withdrew .2cc of it. I still dont feel that much restriction so I go back on tomorrow for another fill.

Hi All,

This talk about "am I big inside or small inside?" makes me remember something.

After the birth of my first child I was considering using a diaphragm and the Dr. brought out the display showing all the sizes of diaphragms. I joking said that I probably need the huge one on the end since I'm "carrying all this baby fat". He told me that actually, after getting a diaphragm, if you lose 10 pounds or more, you need to come and get refitted for a new one, a BIGGER one. Because there's not as much body fat in there to hold it in place.

So what I'm saying is that yes, it does make sense that the smaller people may have different fill needs that the larger, especially if the body fat internally is a big difference.

ZiggyZiggler