Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scheduled to be banded May 10th and am soooo excited! I have been overweight my entire life. I have spent my entire adult life obese to morbidly obese. I have tried every diet under the sun and have lost weight and gained the weight. I have lost the same 60 pounds a hundred times! I made the decision to get the Lap-band because I want to get healthy for me and my family! I know it will still be a challenge but it will also help me!

So today, at work, the doc that I work for who is thin, is a Weight Watchers Lifetime member after losing 60 pounds and maintaining, says to me that the Lap-band is the EASY WAY OUT! :blink: Are you kidding me?

Why do people say things like that? Why do people that have NOT walked in our shoes feel entitled to give their opinion? If I wanted it...I would have asked. :smile:

Any thoughts?

I'll admit it: I used to be one of those people who thought that getting any kind of WLS was the "easy way out". After researching it, going through all the requirements, being banded and having some side affect, I have to tell you I have 100% changed my thoughts. With WLS, you can't have caffeine or carbonation, you have to sip Water so slowly sometimes it feels like an IV drip in your mouth, you have to deal with needles in your stomach every 6 weeks or so. That is NOT the easy way out.

I think the misconception is because people who have had WLS tend to lose quicker than those who have not because we are being forceably restricted in our intake.

Then again, I wonder if it's a weight watchers thing, because I used to do WW, and that was their big thing (WLS was the "easy" way out).

Well, compared to all the times I really struggled to lose, only to regain what I lost (plus some), the band really does represent an easier way out. Or, at least a way out!

I couldn't really find that way out before---so I'm fine with people calling it whatever they want.

When others say stuff like this, it's usually to justify their own decisions. Let it roll off your back---it's not worth your angst.

Your day is almost here! Good luck!

It won't be easy. But it will make things possible for you that haven't been possible so far.

What is wrong with taking the "easy way out"? Why would you want to take the "hard way out"? When have you ever heard someone say "Good for her, she took the hard way out!"? What the heck does that mean anyway?

Your on your way "out" of obesity that is all that matters, you are taking advantage of all the resources available to you. I personally think that is the "smart way out"!

It always amuses me when I hear people talking about the Lap-Band as being the "easy way out." These folks don't see me getting out of bed at 5am, while it's still dark outside, so I can get my work out in. They don't see me journaling what I eat three times a day. They don't see me consciously avoiding foods that will cause pain or stall weight loss.

Would these people say the same thing to someone who gets Lasik eye surgery? Maybe they should just schlep around with coke-bottle eyeglasses and stay legally blind their entire lives, because fixing the problem would be "the easy way out." Sheesh.

There was a Weight Watcher's devotee who once said something similar to me. Ironically, she had fake boobs, her hair was dyed, and she had enough Botox in her face to paralyze a horse. What a hypocrite... :blink:

So the next time some one tells me I took the easy way out, I will respond, "Yep, lucky Me!!" :smile:

That makes me crazy! My DH actually made a similar comment (while I was in the hospital AFTER surgery).

But here's my take on it. To me, this doesn't feel any "easier" than dieting….for me, the only difference is if at some point, my willpower is diminishing and I'm having one of those "oh who cares, it's too hard, hopeless, etc." days - the band won't allow me to do something to sabotage all of my efforts J (well not without some sort of reminder that it's there)…and honestly, for me - having gone through a major surgery is enough of a motivator to remind me that I cannot let my old habits come back or I'll be right back where I was. But I wouldn't say it was easy. I journal all my food, I exercise daily and I don't eat JUNK - it's not any easier for me to do that because of the band (in fact, as far as the eating goes, sometimes that's difficult to do…I'm sure junk food would go down a lot easier than solid Protein at times, but I CHOOSE not to go there, it's not that my band is making that choice for me).

Would these people say the same thing to someone who gets Lasik eye surgery? Maybe they should just schlep around with coke-bottle eyeglasses and stay legally blind their entire lives, because fixing the problem would be "the easy way out." Sheesh.

This is a GREAT comparison. I've had both and honestly, they were both excellent decisions in my opinion. I have never thought twice and I have never had anyone flinch about my Lasik. But WLS certainly does get a different reaction from some people, huh?

Interesting thread!

It sounds as though he has walked in your shoes.

Lapband has been an easy way out for me, thus far. It has kept me on the straight and narrow when I didn't necessarily want to be.

I also believe it will be an easy way out a year from now, when I might want to walk away, and live the simpler non dieter life as I have before.

It is an opinion. I never would have considered plastic surgery, but now I am. I don't know how the earlier analogy applies, though. Is getting my boobs done easier than some other way of dealing with the problem?

It always amuses me when I hear people talking about the Lap-Band® as being the "easy way out." These folks don't see me getting out of bed at 5am, while it's still dark outside, so I can get my work out in. They don't see me journaling what I eat three times a day. They don't see me consciously avoiding foods that will cause pain or stall weight loss.

There was a Weight Watcher's devotee who once said something similar to me. Ironically, she had fake boobs, her hair was dyed, and she had enough Botox in her face to paralyze a horse. What a hypocrite... :scared2:

So the next time some one tells me I took the easy way out, I will respond, "Yep, lucky Me!!" :blink:

Too funny....Thank you!

Thank you to everyone's comments, I guess I was just a little dumbfounded! I thought she would be happy for me. I guess I was wrong! I am happy "taking the easy way out". :smile:

Good for him if he has been able to keep the 60 lbs off, but a huge majority of people cannot. What's the percentage of people who regain weight, 95%? WW is a very successful program for getting weight off, but it's the keeping it off that's the problem as WE ALL KNOW!

The easy way out? Okay, people can have whatever opinion that they want. Just keep laughing all the way to the smaller sizes!

Kerri- Sorry to hear about your IGNORANT boss. All the docs I work with are 100% supportive of my band. One of the surgeons even told me that a peer of her's had it done and looks fantastic 2 years out... SO screw your boss. As a healthcare professional should she be supporting you.

Good for him if he has been able to keep the 60 lbs off, but a huge majority of people cannot. What's the percentage of people who regain weight, 95%? WW is a very successful program for getting weight off, but it's the keeping it off that's the problem as WE ALL KNOW!

The easy way out? Okay, people can have whatever opinion that they want. Just keep laughing all the way to the smaller sizes!

So, it is easier to keep the weight off with the band. it will be statistically easier for you to keep the weight off.

Obviously the doctor you work for has absolutely no clue how the band works. I have had my band for a year and losing the weight has been anything but easy! Tell him he should really educate himself before making such ignorant comments!

It is an opinion. I never would have considered plastic surgery, but now I am. I don't know how the earlier analogy applies, though. Is getting my boobs done easier than some other way of dealing with the problem?

I was saying that to demonstrate that lots of people undergo surgical/medical procedures to improve their lives. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. That includes breast augmentation/lifts, botox, etc. The irony is that the people who partake in these improvements will sit back and judge someone who gets a Lap-Band. It is sheer hypocrisy.

I was also one of those people who thought WLS (and diet pills) were easy ways out. I am curious though about your comment regarding caffeine. My understanding was that once the stomach is healed post surgery that caffeine can be reintroduced to the diet.

I'll admit it: I used to be one of those people who thought that getting any kind of WLS was the "easy way out".

With WLS, you can't have caffeine or carbonation.