Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ATTENTION to those who are less than 3 months post-op and discouraged-READ HERE!!!

I did start a new thread but was a bit hurried...if anyone ha any words of wisdom on that thread that I left out inadvertently, please fel free to contribute!

Yes! Thanks for being 'upfront' and brutally honest! I was banded 4/15..losing..very happy thus far..and am learning the 'signals' this ring is telling me. Some days, I think it's the ring from Lord of the Rings with the pain, and other days, is docile and does it's job. The learning curve/trick, is listening to your body.

I had some scary pains that I even went to the ER about, and it was just the band doing it's thing. Greek yogurt is still too 'stiff' the second week..so the stoma being stretched gave me chest pains that radiated to my shoulders.

Good luck to all, and keep up the excellent posts! :thumbup:

Edited by haines1000

Yes! Thanks for being 'upfront' and brutally honest! I was banded 4/15..losing..very happy thus far..and am learning the 'signals' this ring is telling me. Some days, I think it's the ring from Lord of the Rings with the pain, and other days, is docile and does it's job. The learning curve/trick, is listening to your body.

I had some scary pains that I even went to the ER about, and it was just the band doing it's thing. Greek yogurt is still too 'stiff' the second week..so the stoma being stretched gave me chest pains that radiated to my shoulders.

Good luck to all, and keep up the excellent posts! :thumbup:

I found greek yogurt to be too stiff most of the time. I mix it with Water and thin it down. It is pretty good that way!! Hugs!!!

I was so happy to hear someone explain, why I am feeling so down on myself. My surgery was 4/21 I have lost 20 pounds which inclused my two weeks of liquids. I guess I have to be patient with my self and keep on trying. I try to realize the weight did not come on in 6 weeks and it will take much much longer to come off.

Thank You

Rose:tt2:

The key is quit comparing yourself to everyone else. The first six weeks after surgery is your healing time. I can say walk walk walk walk walk walk during this time. Keep your walking up and make sure you are following the rules. If you cheat, you are cheating yourself.

People ask me all the time, how did you lose 161lbs in a year and couple months? I said sweat and eat right. I work out not a lot, but enough to get my metabolism up. Now I've not lost much in the past couple months, but when my pants fall off because I've lost inches...I'm still progressing.

One thing I want to say ..... is you aren't PLATEAUING if you are losing inches and not weight. Please note that all. Its not just about the weight. Its about the health. Are you doing the things you know you need to do to help yourself? Keep that in mind.

But great post.

I have read this thread, and I understand why some people would think no one should say anything negative about gastric banding, to avoid upsetting people newly banded. But I really could not recommend someone to have a gastric band. I am three months out, and wondering why in a moment of weakness, I allowed my family to persuade me to waste money on a piece of plastic and a scar. I have 10cc in a 14ml band and no restriction, and starting to lose any belief that this is going to work for me at all.

It is totally inadequate to say "why are people eating KFC and still moaning?" For one thing, there is no KFC or McDonald's in my town - and so that is not the problem. The more substantive point is that I thought I would not be able to eat much, at least in terms of solid foods, after being banded. If the advice people in this thread are giving people is "go on a diet" - er, yes, good idea - but I could have done that without wasting money on a a piece of plastic and a scar.

I am wondering what the real percentages are of people for whom the gastric band really works. Even if the band starts working for me when I hit 11cc, I do not feel it would be anything other than fraudulent to recommend this process to anyone else.

I have read this thread, and I understand why some people would think no one should say anything negative about gastric banding, to avoid upsetting people newly banded. But I really could not recommend someone to have a gastric band. I am three months out, and wondering why in a moment of weakness, I allowed my family to persuade me to waste money on a piece of plastic and a scar. I have 10cc in a 14ml band and no restriction, and starting to lose any belief that this is going to work for me at all.

It is totally inadequate to say "why are people eating KFC and still moaning?" For one thing, there is no KFC or McDonald's in my town - and so that is not the problem. The more substantive point is that I thought I would not be able to eat much, at least in terms of solid foods, after being banded. If the advice people in this thread are giving people is "go on a diet" - er, yes, good idea - but I could have done that without wasting money on a a piece of plastic and a scar.

I am wondering what the real percentages are of people for whom the gastric band really works. Even if the band starts working for me when I hit 11cc, I do not feel it would be anything other than fraudulent to recommend this process to anyone else.

Everyone I know who has it is successful with it. It obviously didn't work for you for some reason or another. You have to watch the food you put in your mouth and you have to workout. JUST like if you didn't have the band. Have you gotten a fluoroscope to see if maybe you have an issue with your band?

I'm not going to compare myself to you, but I hear people bitch all the time and I then hear from others that they eat crap and don't exercise. The band WILL NOT make you lose weight. It gives you restriction. I have 7.8 in a 10cc band. Maybe you need more restriction. Have you consulted with a nutritionist. Do you eat healthy? Do you eat your Protein and cut out carbs? Do you workout other than a brisk walk? What have you done besides blame the band? The BAND will not make you lose weight!

I was so happy to hear someone explain, why I am feeling so down on myself. My surgery was 4/21 I have lost 20 pounds which inclused my two weeks of liquids. I guess I have to be patient with my self and keep on trying. I try to realize the weight did not come on in 6 weeks and it will take much much longer to come off.

Thank You

Rose:tt2:

Actually 20 lbs in 6 weeks is amazing!! Congratulations!!!

This helps a lot, I too was getting a little discourage but after reading this I know now that I am on the right track!!! I was banded 4/23/10 Haven't gained and I haven't lost. I am proud to say that on my own i was able to lose 24 pounds before my surgery.... =)

Thank you Coloradobanding!!!

I'm so happy to read this. My doctor told me I would be down 90 pounds by the end of the year (I was banded Apr 29th) and has been watching me like a hawk. Their office even calls me once a week!

The nutritionist puts some really weird expectations on me as well and I was worried that I was not losing enough.

My Mom calls me daily with the "how are you feeling" and how much weight have you lost" questions.

I really thought something was wrong with me. I just wish I had been better informed. I told him I was on the forums and he said I need to call if I have questions, not read the forums.

Thanks all.

Dalia :)

Starting weight 302 4/19/10

Surgery weight 287 4/29/10

Current weight 281 5/19/10

Goal weight 170

I'm so happy to read this. My doctor told me I would be down 90 pounds by the end of the year (I was banded Apr 29th) and has been watching me like a hawk. Their office even calls me once a week!

The nutritionist puts some really weird expectations on me as well and I was worried that I was not losing enough.

My Mom calls me daily with the "how are you feeling" and how much weight have you lost" questions.

I really thought something was wrong with me. I just wish I had been better informed. I told him I was on the forums and he said I need to call if I have questions, not read the forums.

Thanks all.

Dalia :)

Starting weight 302 4/19/10

Surgery weight 287 4/29/10

Current weight 281 5/19/10

Goal weight 170

I am not surprised to hear this, many doctors have issues with control. I am a self educated diabetic and I always love the comments I get from doctors. They love my numbers when I get blood work, but they are often itching to get their agenda in there somewhere. I go to the doctor because I need them to write me a prescription for insulin, but I always dread it... Unfortunately, even Canada needs a prescription now. It used to be over the counter up there and much cheaper. Oh well it is what it is.... You should get you information where ever you can find it. Other patients are excellent sources of information, however you should stay away from negative posts. They can be discouraging. I just don't read them and I am doing the best I have ever done. Hugs to you!!!

I really get embarrassed when people imply I haven't lost much weight. I try to look at it that I would be 250 probably instead of my current weight which I haven't checked in over a week. At the same time I own up to my cheating ways.

I am actually thinking of trying nutrisystem. Last time i tried it I was always hungry after the meal. I am just too busy to come up with a food plan right now.

i am glad you said that... although i agree that this forum is for people who are discouraged to come to get back on track too. I got banded on March 23rd and my progress has been wonderful, I am thrilled with my band and my weight loss. I work my diet each day to get to the point where it's a lifestyle and about good nutrition and moderation... I was well informed about the band and it's usefulness. It is a tool not a magic wand. It helps those who help themselves. I think mine is a godsend. Losing weight is hard work with or without the band. The band is just a supportive friend who urges us to stop eating when we are full. Believe in yourself and You can accomphish anything! Check out my blog "This one time at Band Camp" at mybigfatbandgeeklife.blogspot.com

Greetings, all,

First, I have to give MEGA KUDOS to Colorado for taking the risk in opening this thread, knowing that it was pretty much akin to opening Pandora's Box.

I extend my support to all of you who are newly banded and struggling through the early days...it's definitely not an easy time, physically AND psychologically. I was lucky in the sense that I had a 6 month waiting period from my insurance company to do full research and get my head together prior to my surgery. Even so, though, I have certainly gone through some feelings of anger, resentment, frustration, and all the other issues along the way.

There are certain things that I now consider ASSUMPTIONS when it comes to my life:

1) I have control over food. It does NOT have control over me, perfect restriction or not. My Band helps me do that, thank heavens, but the ultimate responsibility is, and always will be, MINE.

2) I choose what, how fast, and how much to eat. If I make poor choices, I have to accept the consequences. I will NEVER AGAIN be able to eat without being mindful of the act...that kind of thing is what got me here in the first place.

3) It is no longer viable to not get physical exercise of some kind every day. I don't have to beat my brains out for an hour on an elliptical, necessarily, but I do have to move. Every day.

4) I didn't become 300 pounds overnight, and I'm not going to reach goal overnight, either.

5) Looking better and wearing smaller sizes are simply the ingredients to the icing on the "I'm going to live a longer, healthier life, if that is to be my journey" cake.

6) I will Celebrate each and every pound lost, knowing that if I do my part faithfully, it will never return.

7) I will provide support, love (tough love, if necessary), and encouragement to those who are on this journey as well, no matter what method they chose. We are all in this together.

Hugs all around, to the bravest guys and gals I know...I honor all of you!

Christine

Greetings, all,

First, I have to give MEGA KUDOS to Colorado for taking the risk in opening this thread, knowing that it was pretty much akin to opening Pandora's Box.

I extend my support to all of you who are newly banded and struggling through the early days...it's definitely not an easy time, physically AND psychologically. I was lucky in the sense that I had a 6 month waiting period from my insurance company to do full research and get my head together prior to my surgery. Even so, though, I have certainly gone through some feelings of anger, resentment, frustration, and all the other issues along the way.

There are certain things that I now consider ASSUMPTIONS when it comes to my life:

1) I have control over food. It does NOT have control over me, perfect restriction or not. My Band helps me do that, thank heavens, but the ultimate responsibility is, and always will be, MINE.

2) I choose what, how fast, and how much to eat. If I make poor choices, I have to accept the consequences. I will NEVER AGAIN be able to eat without being mindful of the act...that kind of thing is what got me here in the first place.

3) It is no longer viable to not get physical exercise of some kind every day. I don't have to beat my brains out for an hour on an elliptical, necessarily, but I do have to move. Every day.

4) I didn't become 300 pounds overnight, and I'm not going to reach goal overnight, either.

5) Looking better and wearing smaller sizes are simply the ingredients to the icing on the "I'm going to live a longer, healthier life, if that is to be my journey" cake.

6) I will Celebrate each and every pound lost, knowing that if I do my part faithfully, it will never return.

7) I will provide support, love (tough love, if necessary), and encouragement to those who are on this journey as well, no matter what method they chose. We are all in this together.

Hugs all around, to the bravest guys and gals I know...I honor all of you!

Christine

Thanx Christine... What you said is true... The band is a tool used to help be successful in dieting and in keeping the weight off. There is no miracle cure for Obesity. You need a hammer to build a house, but a hammer needs you to get the work done. It can't build the house on it's own, right?Gastric Bypass patients lose the weight faster but also gain it back faster... If they don't change their eating habits, that is. Once they are past the 15-18 month period of non-absorbtion... You are on your own. It would be nice to have that long to learn good eating habits but our bands can be adjusted forever. When you start to gain weight, or decide to lose more weight you just get an adjustment. If you decide that you've lost enough weight and want less restriction, you can have some of the liquid in your band removed. The band is adjustable so it changes with your changing body. I have lost 44 pounds as of 2 weeks ago and in 2 weeks when i visit my surgeon again, I will have lost more. Maybe it will only be 5 or 10 pounds but a loss is a loss... I feel better, have more energy, I'm off all my meds, and I feel like the Monkey(Carbs) is finally off my back.... I am a recovering carb/food addict and I treat it just like a drug detox... I don't eat alot of carbs mostly Protein and some green vegetables... I thought it would be hard but so far it has been wonderful. The hardest part for most of us to overcome is the psychological part... We eat to fill a hole inside us because of something that happened to us, a trauma or depression that has us confusing food with comfort or love. I miss the feelings that the food gave me and have to find comfort in other things. I eat to live now...I no longer live to eat. :thumbup:

Edited by diznediva
typos