Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my Lap-Band sx yesterday morning. I got discharged from the hospital this afternoon. I am so very nauseated. Is that a normal thing? Of course I am sore, figured that was normal. But, I can't seem to lick the sick feeling. I had pureed foods this morning for Breakfast and lunch. I attempted to make the same for dinner, but it was so hard. I feel sick to my stomach and really feel like eating nothing. I just don't understand how I am expected to eat/drink all of my Protein. I know my daily for my 2 week pre-op was 70 grams of protein. I need some help, guys. This is starting out rougher than I expected.

The one thing you need to remember is that it gets easier. It is very overwhelming to think about taking all the Protein through liquids. And also remember you are coming off the morphine and you haven't eatten anything for over 24 hours. Your body is adjusting I remember in the first few days I didn't know how I was even surviving because all I eat was the sugar free popsicles, Jello, and Protein Drinks. I focused on how I felt in those early days and didn't focus so much on how many grams of protein I got. That would of been really hard on top of dealing with everything else going on. Also if you are taking pain killers now that can also make you nauseous. Hang in there it will get better sooner than you think. You never know what to expect until you have the surgery all you can do now is to adapt you'll do great.

I am one week out on post op and I know the feeling, but it does get better. Its really hard in the beginning to get all of your Protein in, but in a couple of days you should be able to get the shakes down with no problem. My biggest problem was the gas pains. Today is my first day without. Hang in there.

Why are you eating pureed foods the next day? You should be on Clear Liquids for at least a few days to a week and then liquids for up to 4 weeks. That's like putting vinegar on your cut, WAY to sensitive to handle pureed foods this early. Didn't your doctor go over your new routine?

Yes, he did go over my diet. He ordered pureed foods for my breakfast and lunch. I think I'm going back to liquids. I don't think my stomach was ready.

I got brave and tried V8 juice a few days too early. Wow, there was no way.... I decided that I need to follow the doctors orders to the letter..... Your body is going to let you know, so don't be too hard on yourself!!!! Hugs......

I'm sorry you're feeling cruddy. We tend to minimize it, because it passes quickly---but most of us completely understand how you feel.

Right now, it's not important that you get Protein. Fluid is of paramount importance, food none at all.

As you feel better, you will become hungry, or at least able to tolerate food.< /p>

For now, work on getting adequate Fluid. The rest will fall into place.

(If the nausea becomes too bad, give your doctor a call. There are very effective meds for dealing with it.)

We tend to minimize it, because it passes quickly---but most of us completely understand how you feel.

Yes, yes, yes! Betsy is right on! At 9.5 weeks post op, it's like a distant memory for me, but wow, was that beginning rough! I also did not feel hungry for the first week or so, and I did not worry about Protein, because I just COULDN'T do it. I tried to force it, but that was doing no good.

Trust us, once you're past this, these first two weeks will be barely a thought. The best things you can do right now are to stay hydrated, walk and rest.

Good luck!

Hang in there - it will get better! ((HUGS)) Mine was last Monday and I'm feeling way better than I was the day after. It's almost like night and day.

I would go to Clear Liquids for a while. Did they give you anything for nausea? You might want to call them to see if you can get some finnegran? (Spelling?)

I know youre probably tired of hearing this but it does get better! It is normal to feel like you made a mistake, or you want the lapband out of you....I went through a period of "what have I done?!?!" but Im 3 months out now and it gets better! hang in there!!!!

Thank you for all of those encouraging words of wisdom. Yes, I did think yesterday..."Why oh why did I do this". But, deep down inside, I know exactly why I did this. I know it will take time to heal and feel better. I was actually hungry today for the first time. I drank some blended lf cream Soup and now feel so-so. I think my poor belly needs Protein for a bit. Have any of you blended Peanut Butter into your Protein Shakes? Is that allowed? How much? I was just thinking that it is a protein source and mixed with the shakes, it would give an extra boost.

I've been adding a lot of Protein to my shakes and it's definitely something that "sticks" with you longer. I made one today that has almost 30 grams! It's also fairly yummy.

Here is what I did:

4 ounces of Muscle Milk (I got the creamy vanilla - pretty much no sugar, low carb and HIGH in Protein - roughly 8 grams)

1 scoop of Slim Fast Ultra with protein (7 grams)

1 cup of skim milk (10 grams)

2 tbsp of cool whip lite (3 grams)

I blended it with my handy-dandy magic bullet mixer and VOILA! Of course, I split it into 2 servings because I couldn't get all of the first down but it's a pretty good way to get a lot of protein. Plus, it's YUMMY!

I bet you could add the Peanut Butter instead of the cool whip lite and get even MORE protein. I don't add Peanut Butter because sometimes I have an allergic reaction to it. (It causes me to get really nauseated and hives)

There is also something called PB Max and it's a powder, and that might have protein in it, too. It might be worth looking into.

I'm almost a week out and I have to say, I am LOVING my band already. I can't wait to see how this journey goes. It will get better!

G

I was banded on 3/18 and I also had pretty bad nausea, but it only lasted until that 2nd day after surgery. However, my doc prescribed a scopolamine patch that I put on the night before surgery and could wear for 72 hours (he gave me three of these so 9 days worth). I did still have the nausea and even some dry heaves initially, but after that nothing. Like others have said though, focus on your liquids for now then worry about the food and Protein later. Thats exactly what my program coordinator nurse told me at discharge. Good luck!

MadysMom,

I'm so glad you posted this question! I've been feeling the same way. I was banded on 3/25 too and haven't had much appetite and have been feeling nauseous most of the day. I keep telling myself "this too shall pass". Right now I can't tolerate the taste of the Protein Powder in my drinks. I've made a few smoothies that were just "ok". None have been great though. I'm glad to know this is normal and that there is a light at the end of this long tunnel. Let's both try to stay encouraged :o