Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Health care reform passed

I don't want to start any arguments here, but here are my thoughts.

Last month I had a cancer scare. I am uninsured. When this came up I started scrambling to find insurance, regardless of cost, as the cost would be less than what I would have to pay for cancer treatment without it.

I found I was unable to get insurance because my band was a pre-existing condition. Not that it would be excluded from any coverage I might get, but that I wouldn't be able to get coverage at all.

I do not have cancer at this time, but am highly likely to test positive for it in the future. Without health care reform, in the future when it does come up I would not be able to get insurance then either.

This is my personal story. There are many others out there like mine.

Couldn't get insurance at 315 pounds because I was morbidly obese.

Couldn't get insurance at 165 pounds because I had a device installed to finally cure my morbid obesity.

Sure there are parts of the bill I don't agree with. I also believe that every person in the United States deserves the right to be treated humanely. I believe this is a step in the direction of humane treatment for all U.S. residents.

I agree with your stance and am very pleased it passed in the House.

It's time that our nation re-prioritize.

Thank you for your honest testimony, You and 32 million others are the reason for health care reform.My uninsured son/college student is yet another. America is in a better place this morning ! Thank You Jesus

( Lord I am trying to forget the SPITTING from the other side just as you did)

Thank you Betsy and Larraine. Had it not passed, I was going to devote my free time to getting it passed in the future, given that I have a story that exemplifies why it is so needed. And mine is really just the tip of the iceberg. There are far more dire situations out there than my own. I was willing to go to congress and testify. I am sort of relieved that the nation doesn't have to know my starting weight now.

I wish the bill would have been directed more toward health care reform and not health insurance reform. But the insurance companies are HUGE and to bypass them would prevented any sort of health treatment reform, imo.

I had a nephew, at 2 1/2 years of age, max out his insurance. He was denied the surgery he needed unless we could raise a HUGE amount of money. Through blood, sweat and tears we raised the funds. Unfortunately, he passed away at age 3.

That was a defining moment in my life. I realized how immoral it is to deny health care to those who need it.

The bill may not be perfect, but I'm hopeful that it's a step in the right direction.

I would've joined you. Starting weight be damned :o

I feel REALLY strongly about this--even though I have excellent insurance. Having worked in a county health system in a major metropolitan area really changed my whole world view, I think.

I can't tell you how happy I am that all Americans will have care. I simply can't wrap my brain around the opposition--I simply cannot fathom why it would not be a priority for all.

I too am estatic that this very important bill passed, and for the life of me dont understand the opposition? this is personal for me and I bet for alot of people who have had a close friend or family member DIE as a result of not having health ins. My boyfriend's cousin went to the E.R with a headache 3 months ago and was told that day he had maybe 1 month to live as he had brain cancer. He died at the age of 29 3 weeks later, all because he did not have ins. and didn't want to burden his new wife of 6 months with bills he knew he would not be able to afford. My mother passed 2 years ago for lack of ins. Again I say let the sceptics and pundits yell and scream and say how bad this bill is, but remember they did the same for S.S and Medicare.

Let me ask you a question or two.

Do you buy insurance for your car after you have a wreck and expect the insurance to pay for the wreck you already had, or do you buy your car insurance when you first get the car, in case you ever have a wreck?

So why don't people buy health insurance when they are young and healthy, prior to actually needing it? In many cases it is because these people would rather spend their money on other things (know any young adult males who'd rather buy stuff to trick out their cars then pay for insurance?). In some cases, it's because they think someone else should pay for their care (entitlement mentality). (And please note that I am NOT being all inclusive here - I said many and some, not all.)

There will always be cases of people who have extraordinary issues, and I'm all for helping them. But for those who don't think they should take responsibility, and then cry when they can't get help, I don't feel quite so bad for them.

Who is going to pay for all this? They said they wouldn't raise taxes, but who is going to pay? Also, what about the quality of healthcare? What about if you need treatment for something, and it takes months and months to get in with a doctor? I'm asking because I don't follow politics much. Not trying to start a fight.

I don't know what will happen, but I know my mother's insurance would not cover her mamogram b/c they said it wasn't medically necessary. She is 50, and breast cancer runs in our family but it's not medically necessary.

Edited by Jessica4Bama

Who is going to pay for all this? They said they wouldn't raise taxes, but who is going to pay? Also, what about the quality of healthcare? What about if you need treatment for something, and it takes months and months to get in with a doctor? I'm asking because I don't follow politics much. Not trying to start a fight.

I don't know what will happen, but I know my mother's insurance would not cover her mamogram b/c they said it wasn't medically necessary. She is 50, and breast cancer runs in our family but it's not medically necessary.

Jessica, if I recall correctly, I think that preventive mammograms are mandated in each and every state in the US. You might want to have your mom call her insurance agent (if she purchased her coverage herself) or ask her HR department (if she gets it through her employer). At the age of 50, she should now be able to get preventive mammograms once a year. Prior to age 50, it's suggested once every two years. Of course, if her policy is more of a catastrophic type policy (where it covers only hospital benefits), she may not have preventive coverage. There are so many different types of individual insurance policies out there you really can't make any assumptions about them.

She did call, and they said it wasn't covered. She used to be included with my dad's insurance when he worked for Delphi. When he quit, they had to get new insurance. The mammogram used to be covered on her old insurance, but not now. She has all these pre-existing conditions. She has degenerative bone disease which has caused her to have a few vertebra fusions and knee and hip replacement. The insurance isn't that great even though it is through BCBS.

I too am in full support of health care reform and am thrilled it passed!!!

As for who is going to pay for it, consider just a select few observations. Currently, anyone who attends an emergency room will be treated regardless of being insured or even being able to pay. Having a relative working in an ER I can tell you that more than 75% of all patients seen in the ER are unisured. Those costs are passed down to those who ARE insured raising rates to insurance companies and so on.

If you think of the HUGE amount of money being put into Medicaid and other programs for those who can't afford insurance, that will be absorbed by the new reform substantially. There are many many other programs that will be eliminated because of the reform, and the dollars that would have been spent there will go to cover current costs.

I just love how the opposition creates the illusion that this money is coming directly and wholly out of the tax payers wallet, nothing could be further from the truth. The truth is that YES it is going to be expensive and time consuming, but most things that are worthwhile require expense and commitment.

I am currently insured but was on Medicaid while I was a stay-at-home-mom. Let me tell you, without that help or preferably this reform, there would have been NO WAY for us to afford health care for our children or ourselves during those times when money was scarce.

Health care in the United States should be a RIGHT not a PRIVILEGE in my opinion.

Are you trying to muttle the issue ? PEOPLE in this country (U.S.A) DIE EACH DAY from lack of access to health care. I am ashame of this fact aren't you? WAKE UP ! This is not about a bum on a street corner this is about everyday struggling breathing Americans that a system has failed. We can no longer let the slimey GOP/Insurance co's have it they're way. " Your GOP Reps say "Write me a check I ll do anything for another check, I ll LIE to anyone who will listen and take me seriuosly." "Those foolish folks at home they're stupid they only listen to FOX RUSH and GLEN I got them covered.

This thread is rapidly becoming a flamer. Exactly why it was so heated in Congress. There are alot of differing opinions. Do I personally like the bill? No. Because I am trying to see it from both sides and I don't like what I'm seeing. I handle the benefits for our company, a family company that has about 1/3 of the participants we had 18 months ago and our insurance costs INCREASED over 30% in a year. With a 1/3 less people. Now I see healthcare mandates that will be placed on us with this plan that are additional costs to the company. Do you know what that does? It causes us to look for additional ways to cut costs, i.e. decrease coverages, increase deductibles and out of pockets, increase employee contributions and incorporate spousal surcharges or even not cover spouses who can get coverage elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong. I agree that something needs to be done. But I also see that the cuts in Medicare that are being used to pay for this bill will have an effect on the seniors and also private insurance will be further subsidizing those cuts. You may see providers with no choice but not allow Medicare patients due to reimbursement issues.

It is too soon to tell the effects of this bill. I hope, believe me, I sincerely hope all my fears are not realized and I didn't mention them all. I hope it is the best thing that could have been done. I just don't think our government has the best track record in the area of cost containment. And I don't believe Congress has dealt with the fundamental issue of putting enough in this bill to control rising health care costs, which is one of the main reasons this issue has become such a necessity to deal with. I know for our company, our costs have tripled in trying to provide good coverage for our employees in the last 7 years. Tripled. Without passing the majority of it onto our employees. That will not be the case when this bill gets implemented and our costs increase. The officers are already crying uncle when it comes to our insurance benefits. So in the end, it will get passed onto you and me personally. Either through higher deductibles, out of pockets, limiting coverage, employee contributions, or the subsidizing of Medicare and other programs.

Not trying to start a war here. Just trying to highlight other reasons this is such an important issue. What effects this will have on our economy is yet to come.