Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Welcome from the Land of Gracious Living -- that is what it says on the local license plates. I am watching the sun set after a full day of watching the NCAA basketball tournaments, 60 Minutes is on the HD flatscreen, and I am overdue for my delicious dinner: a chocolate Protein shake. I am scheduled for my surgery on Wednesday, March 24th. I won't know for sure until tomorrow afternoon. Last Thursday I went to my surgeon's office to meet with the surgery scheduling person; they weighed me as I had been on the liquid only diet for the previous ten days. To my chagrin I had gained four pounds; the young lady I met with informed me they would need to reschedule me because of this. I was totally bummed and confused. How did that happen? After a few minutes of protestation and dismay, I gathered up my crestfallen ego, took my wife by the arm and made my way back to the parking lot. My option was to lose this weight and a few more by Monday; my surgeon would decide then if it was a go or no-go. If a no-go, the young lady promised to reschedule me the first thing the following week.:laugh:

Fast forward to the afternoon when I met with my Family Physician. We chatted about this situation and he asked what exactly was I eating. So I rattled off a litany of things including V8 juice, the broth from chicken Noodle Soup and Beef Noodle Soup, and at least 72 oz of G2 Sports drink/day. He started to chuckle and asked me to lift up my pant leg so he could look at my legs and ankles. He gently squeezed me just above the ankle for about 30 seconds, enough to leave a noticeable indentation. He looked me in the eye and said, "I am surprised at you. You are a college graduate, a pretty smart guy. Yet you didn't realize you were pumping yourself full of Sodium. The weight gain is Water weight." Pointing to the bottle of Water I carried in, he said, "And your solution to losing that weight is to cut out the G2 and stick to the water."

So for the next three days it was Protein drinks and bottled water -- interrupted by a few dozen visits to the WC.

Hopefully, I will have something good to post tomorrow night. And if not, I am cool with that, too. It may mean another week of Protein Drinks and water, but I will lose the weight to improve my chances for a successful surgery.

Enough about me. How are you ex-fatties doing now. I need to read some success stories!

I cant believe I missed your great post! Welcome, Have you had your surgery yet?

Thanks for your messages.

I was banded last Friday, March 26th. Subsequently, I have been on the POW (Prisoner of War) diet: Protein shake, beef or chicken broth, and small tub of Jello -- three times a day.

Still some residual pain in the abdomen, especially when I lean or turn quickly to the right. A fellow bander told me it will subside with time and be patient. If it gets too bad, I have some good meds.

On the up side: I have had five days without the need for any insulin shots. I am slowly weaning myself from my diabetes medications. The oral meds are next on my weaning list. I have cut one of them in half already while still keeping my blood sugar below 190 since the surgery. With all that is going on within my system, this is the best benefit to date.

What is it about TV ads in the evening? Most seem to be about foods I can't have or shouldn't even consider! I guess when you are restricted to just under 1000 calories most anything that doesn't resemble the POW diet looks appetizing. If I have the remote, a quick switch helps but otherwise I just grin and bear it, telling myself, that was something the old me would have gobbled down not the new me. I know it will be easier with time and it is anxiety that seems to wear on me in the later evening. I have doubled my Zolloff to try to get me through it -- so far the ads are still penetrating but not winning. I had given up all candy for Lent so ignoring the chocolate eggs and other Easter candy that my kids got was easy. My wife is off this week and she made pancakes for herself and my younger daughter. The smells wafted into my office and the best I can do is try a piece of Extra sugar-free gum.

lunch is soon but I think I am going for a walk; it has stopped raining or otherwise it would be a drive to the gym and a half-hour on the treadmill. I have been putting in at least 30 minutes each day walking; some days that is a chore but I have been reminding myself that the goals offset any immediate discomfort. You have to walk before you run and when I get down to a "running" weight, believe me I will be running again.

How are you doing on your banding adjustment? Any tips are encouraged.:)

W B

Welcome Will. So do you have a date yet??
I cant believe I missed your great post! Welcome, Have you had your surgery yet?

The only thing that helps with the POW (I love this term) is time. I was starving until I got my first fill. But I always just told myself "I can do anything for 1 day, I don't know what I will do tomorrow but I know what I am going to do today!" and tomorrow I repeated it until I got my first fill. Then it was like a light switch went on! I got full faster, stayed full longer and started losing 2 pounds a week. About a month ago I slowed down to about a pound a week but I am OK with that.

The way I counter all the ads for the things I use to eat is I now weigh them against what they "cost" in the gym. Big scoop of ice cream, 300 calories, 2 hours on the treadmill, is that worth it? Usually no, sometimes yes. I have shifted calories in my mind to be similar to money. I have a certain amount to "spend" a day and I have to stay in my budget, if I am spending more I have to exercise to make a deposit or I overdraft my account. I know its silly but it really helps me.

I log everything I eat (which keeps me honest) and my exercise. If I am not losing weight all I have to do is go back and look at the truth, its there in black and white. I hope some of this helps. I will be happy to answer questions anytime.