Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you keep your lapband surgery to yourself?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you keep your lapband surgery to yourself?

• Yes I keep it private
    • No I share

Chantal-

Ticker tutorial:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/ticker-tutorial-pictures-41782/ It shows up automatically with your posts once you get it set up.

Can't help you with BCBS TX because I have BCBS CT.

I'm at precisely the same place you are in the process. Good luck and perseverance to both of us!:cursing:

Edited by AnneGG

Chantal-

Ticker tutorial:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/ticker-tutorial-pictures-41782/ It shows up automatically with your posts once you get it set up.

Can't help you with BCBS TX because I have BCBS CT.

I'm at precisely the same place you are in the process. Good luck and perseverance to both of us!:cursing:

Thanks a bunch! That link was great.

You are not alone! I am also awaiting the approval part of this and only my mom and husband know about that. I don't think I will end up telling many people about it either.

Welcome, arends! Another member of the band (pun intended)!

I'm finding this forum so helpful, useful, and somewhat comforting (except when it's not). There's a long road ahead for me, but at least it will be an interesting and from what I can tell, rewarding one!

Edited by AnneGG

Well I finally got a email from the scheduler at the surgeons office, letting me know that she finally submitted all the paperwork to the insurance. She says usually BCBS of TX takes 48-72 hours to approve/deny. I'll keep everyone posted! Keep your fingers crossed for me!:unsure:

Go to CP User at the top of the home page and (on the left side) edit signature.

Hope that helps you.

totally understand...just want to make sure that i am actually approved before i go and share with everyone...

guess i just feel like they think this will be another "failed plan" if approval does not go quickly

I told everyone at work so that they would know what was going on. I needed their support in this journey. Of course my husband. I reluctantly told my sister because I didnt want to hear her mouth. Other than that, it's my business. I guess when the weight starts coming off I will be proud to say that I was banded. I am still on the pre-op liquid diet. My surgery is scheduled for 4-1-10. Looking forward to it.

So I am going through the approval process right now with my insurance company for the lapband surgery, and I haven't told many people at all..is that strange? The only people that know is my husband and a couple close friends. My husband keeps asking me why I don't want to tell anyone that I am having this surgery, and it's hard to explain why. I guess I'm just fearful to hear people's negativity. I just wanted to see if others feel this same way?:frown:

i completely understand. my mother knows and a couple of my closer friends know. and my boss, because i was telling her that i would need time off. plus she's nosey, but i also consider her a friend. but i mean, other than that, who else NEEDS to know?

i understand not wanting to be dragged down by other people's negativity. especially with the ridiculous notion out there that surgery is "the easy way out" <insert huge eye roll> once youve made your decision and youre going to do it and you know what could happen from your research, what you need is support. the last thing you need is to have to defend your decision to someone who, frankly, didnt need to know about it in the first place.

im not "keeping it secret" but im also not renting billboard space.

I felt the same way. I didnt want to tell anyone either,affraid of there reaction and what if i failed at it. But i decided i couldnt really hide it so i told pretty much everyone who is in my life. You know the support and positive attitude from friends and family has made my experience much better. I just had surgery a week ago and if it wasnt for them calling me to check up helping me and supporting me in everything i am not sure i could have got thru it all. The more support you have the easier it will be for you trust me. Good luck hope all goes well for you.God bless

I am only telling a select few for now but do plan to be open about it after I get the surgery. I don't want to jinx it by talking about it before insurance approval.

Also, I don't want people looking at what I eat before the surgery, you know the looks "if you didn't eat that you would lose weight" looks.

I haven't told anyone about mine either. I told my mom and thats it. My boyfriend of 8months asked me about my recent doctor visits and i lied to him about it. I feel bad, but at the same time I don't know what people will think of me and I'm scared.

I am being banded 3/23/10 and I have only told my wife, my parents (Not hers they are judgmental), My sister and brother in-law...and that's it. I think a big reason we (as larger folks) keep it quiet is because of the fear of failure. We are in our position because we have had numerous weight loss failures...last thing we want to do is tell everyone about this surgery and then fail (VERY unlikely chance of that). Even though this is almost a guaranteed weight loss (see all the results on this page) we still have a small feeling that it will fail like everything else we have gone through in our life...another failure...

I plan on being a little bit more loose with telling people once I have had it done and people notice the success...

3dayslong - Lots of great support here, plus information. You have made a good decision for your life and health.

Welcome.

Joyce

I told everyone and didn't care if they were negative or not atleast not on the subject of lapband for me. Fast forward 2 1/2 years, 4 people have gotten it done because they have seen my sucess and several more have checked into it.