Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded, banding, bands--verb--To assemble or unite in a group

HB,

He agreed that the pain was being caused by the band. Unfortunately, the only way to actually find out how it's rubbing against the diaphragm is to do an exploratory laparascopy and move the offending piece.

However, and I just posted a long thread on this, since I'm most likely going to do a sleeve revision, we decided just to remove the fill until we see if insurance will pay for a revision. I still had some pain before I started getting fills, but it was more irritation and didn't interfere with my sleep, so this is a good short term solution.

If my insurance will not pay for a revision, he said they will pay for the exploratory laparascopy due to the pain and they could remove the band at that time. Kind of an end run around the insurance company if needed.

On the ride to the doc's, I was in intense pain. On the ride home, not a twitch so I am looking forward to a good night's sleep!

Elfie...again (((((hugs)))))

Me-Sorry I haven't really posted much. I have read everyday, but I have been busy Christmas (yes X-MAS) decorating because I know if I get bad news at my appt on Thursday i won't want to do any decorating. So the tree is up and so is everything else! My husband just reminded me the other day that before I got my band they did a swallow test and that I have an esophagus disorder. I was told by my dr then that they would still do the surgery, but they did not know how & if the disorder would affect my band since there were no studies done. Now I am wondering if this is the root of my problems. I am very seriously considering if surgery is needed again (even though I love my band and it has definitly helped me lose 75lbs) revising to the sleeve as well. I know the dr and I discussed bypass before the band because he said with bypass there would not be the restriction like the band so the whole swallowing thing shouldn't play a role, so I don't see how it would be any different with the sleeve. ARGGG so much to think about. My brain is officially fried! I also have my college entrance exam tomorrow ;), so I get to feel stupid because I don't remember trigonometry. Just please think about/pray for me for Thursday. 9am isn't coming quickly enough. I want to know what's going on already!!!!

Oh and Elfie-you are allowed to get the sleeve, but you are not allowed to leave us!!!!!! ;)

I know the dr and I discussed bypass before the band because he said with bypass there would not be the restriction like the band so the whole swallowing thing shouldn't play a role, so I don't see how it would be any different with the sleeve. ARGGG so much to think about. My brain is officially fried! I also have my college entrance exam tomorrow ;), so I get to feel stupid because I don't remember trigonometry. Just please think about/pray for me for Thursday. 9am isn't coming quickly enough. I want to know what's going on already!!!!

Good luck on your college entrance exam and at your doc's appointment! I'm still reading up on the sleeve so not sure how/if it operates differently as far as getting stuck. I have a vague recollection of my doc's nurse telling me that, like banded people, she has to take small bites and chew well but that's all I remember.

Elfie

Just wondering why you are thinking of revising to the sleeve? As a purely restrictive procedure (same as band) if you are not having success with the band then I imagine that the same would be true with the sleeve. It might be that bypass of some type might be a better option for you.

I have been doing a lot of reading on the sleeve board so I can try and find out more about it.

Most people at this point seem to be extremely happy with their sleeves.

Some points that I have picked up include:-

That you still have to watch what you eat.

That you still have to exercise.

That it does not stop you from eating those sliders.

That there are people who at a year+ out are concerned about possible regain.

I don't think there are as many stuck issues as with a band but I think(not sure) that I did read somewhere that you still have to be careful.

That some people still have hunger issues (head or otherwise)

There seem to be less foods that people have issues with.

Most sleevers seem to be on permanent acid reducing meds. This one I find really strange as a reflux is often quoted as a reason for swapping from band to sleeve.

If I was you I would join the other board, read as much as possible, ask lots of questions and also discuss the pro's and cons of the other types of WLS with your Dr as well.

There are some sleevers that are still members of this board too.MP8BTPC had a sleeve a couple of months ago , is doing really well and is really nice. Why not send her a pm and ask her a couple of questions.

Stacie hope you go well with your exams and also find a way forward with whether to revise to another kind of surgery. At least you know that you had the issue beforehand and it wasn't caused by the band.

Elcee,

Where is the sleeve board? Here on lapbandtalk? If so, I'll see if I can find it. If it's somewhere else, can you point me in the direction.

I gave the surgeon the go ahead to move forward to surgery, but said I need to do some more research before I make my final decision. In any event, bypass is not an option. There are worse things than being fat and that, in my opinion, is one. I hung out on a bypass board before I found this forum and it was a bit scary how the quality of life rapidly deteriorated for a number of these people due to medical problems as a result of the malabsorption. Some did very well. A couple died as a result of organ failure and an inability to retain even their goal weight. No...not something I will ever do.

Oh well, in the meantime I'll continue what I have been doing. Watching my carbs and Protein (which ultimately keeps my fats and calories under control), continuing to walk my hour every day and aerobics twice a week...although I enjoy neither and see what happens in the coming weeks.

Thanks, Stacie...I found it and have been reading steadily for the last couple of hours. I also spent quite a few hours last night surfing the 'net and reading various medical articles. I have to say that at this point, I'm just not sure I can bring myself to do the sleeve because it's so much more drastic than the band and has the potential for not working as well.

I also had an epiphany while reading the experiences of others...and not sure why it didn't pop out at me last year or even over the last year. Unlike many who choose to get banded or sleeved, I didn't deal with constant hunger. I had good days and bad days. When I look back over my food journals, the good days are days where I report 'no hunger'. The bad days are days when I feel the need to eat nonstop and it's not a head craving but a physical need. Interestingly, the good days are also the days where my blood glucose readings were stable. They may have been high or even on the low side...but stable with no major swings. On the bad days I'm showing swings...and swings cause an intense urge to eat...the body's way of dealing with an insulin spike.

So...for the next 6 weeks, I'm going to be a fanatic about my diabetes control. It will be interesting to see if controlling my diabetes also controls that hunger.

The last year with the band hasn't been totally wasted. Not only have I met a bunch of people here that I enjoy tremendously, but I really am eating a fraction of what I used to and have created some good habits over the last year...not the least being that I'm actually exercising. :(

Glad you found it - I've only just got up !

It is interesting that you think you may have found a link with your insulin and hunger. I hope so as that may be easier to control than having to undergo another surgery.

I have nothing against the sleeve and would probably consider a revision if something went wrong with my band but it does concern me that it in many ways is so similar to the band so if you are not successful with one then potentially you may not be with the other. Yes there is the ghrelin element but reading the board it does seem that not everyone experiences that benefit and actually reading the board it seems a lot of people struggle in similar ways to those who are banded.

Yes there is the ghrelin element but reading the board it does seem that not everyone experiences that benefit and actually reading the board it seems a lot of people struggle in similar ways to those who are banded.

I read a couple medical reports and 'supposedly' people who don't get that lack of hunger with the band, often are successful with the sleeve because the sleeve (because of removal of the stomach) is better at stopping/suppressing the ghelin.

What concerns me is that whether it's band or sleeve, the hormone eventually 'finds a way' to reassert itself.

I'd rather not have another surgery although it's looking like I'll have to either to remove the band, or go in and do an exploratory and find out what/where it's rubbing on my diaphragm. I still have some pain but it's nothing like it was before he took the fill out.

I am fairly ignorant about diabetes but I had read this study on pubmed.gov about the sleeve vs banding in curing co-morbidities. It said " There was a greater resolution or improvement of DM after LSG (100% vs 46%). DM being "type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM)", I wasn't sure if that is what you had but I thought the info might be helpful.

Here is the link to the study. Comparison of comorbidity resolution and improveme... [surg Endosc. 2010] - PubMed result

Thanks, Leigha. I'll go check out the report.

All I can say is, it's a darned good thing it's time to fix dinner because I'm about ready to chew my arm off...and I'm pretty sure that will put me over my calories (although not carbs) for the day. :(

Melody

Ready for my Dr's appt & UGI. I am so nervous and scared that I feel like I am gonna puke!

Good thoughts...good thoughts...good thoughts...{Stacie}