Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for May Bandsters

My Pre-Op is 2 Meditrim Protein Shakes, I Protein Bar and 2 cups of steamed vegetable. There appears to be a lot of differing versions of the Pre-Op. Whatever the surgeons preferences

are. :smile:

k.

I noticed there are 2 May threads. Is it possible to merge them? It would be nice if we were all on the same page, so to speak :smile:

What does this pre-op diet consist of? My Dr. said I did not need to do one. Only Clear Liquids the day before surgery. :smile:

It's generally a low-carb high Protein diet, often with Meal Replacement Protein Shakes. But it differs depending upon your surgeon and their preference. The goal as I was told was to shrink the liver (which is fatty in many of us, not surprisingly) to make access to the stomach easier during the procedure. They have to get around it with their instruments, so the smaller the better.

I also think the aim may be to acclimate you to the post-op diet when you are highly calorie restricted and on mostly fluids and blended foods. But I am not a doctor, and each surgeon has his own procedures - there could be many reasons why you don't have a pre-op diet, and I would ask the doc if you want to know what their reason is. I don't think there's any right or wrong here as long as you follow your own surgeon's instructions.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

I got my date - MAY 25!!!! I go away to Disney next week for 9 days come back and a week later my life is going to change - for the better!!!! Can't wait!!!

May 10th here in Greensboro, NC. This 2 wk preop diet is tough but the road ahead is gonna be tougher. We can ALL do this!

Where are you being banded? I'm in W-S and going to Baptist Hosp. and seeing Dr. Fernandez. My date is May 4 and am ready to go.:thumbup:

[QUOTE=acp1974;1455220]Just wanted to join the parade. My date is May 19th. I'm getting banded at Beth Israel in Boston, MA by Dr. Schneider. Any other Massachusetts folks with a May date out there?

I'm excited for everyone, and also a bit anxious for myself. Which I suppose is normal. The reality really hits you once you have a date, eh?

Good luck all and keep updating this thread so we can see how those of you with early May dates are doing post-surgery. Also any tips/encouragement on sticking to the pre-op diet are always welcome as well. Mine starts May 4th....

Al

My date is May 20th at Norwood Hosp by Dr Adam Glasgow. I live in NH but after investigating 3 places, this one is the best fit for me. However, I got a call 2 days ago from my ins co saying they were going to send me a denial letter because my BMI is only 36, and you had to have at least a 40. I had an E-mail showing that they answered me in writing that 35-40 is ok if you have at least 1 co-morbidity which I do. So their medical director is looking over that E-mail and hopefully will get back to me by the middle of next week. They did tell me if they made a mistake, they would make it right and approve the surgery anyway. I think I'm safe in presenting the E-mail. Otherwise, if they deny me Allergan said they will help me with the appeal process with an attorney. My dr's office is so great, the scheduling coordinator is going to keep my dates until we hear back from the ins co. It's very aggravating because I called 4 times just to make sure I would qualify. My mistake was never getting the names and dates when I got those confirmations. There is a name in the E-mail though. Thanks for letting me rant!

Priscilla

My date is May 14th.. I'm beyond excited! I started my 3 week pre-op earlier this week and it really is just low carbs, no fat and no sugars.. it's been okay. My b/f is very supportive so he makes it just that much easier to stick to the diet. I am 6lbs down already!

I'm in Arizona and Dr. Nirmul is my surgeon. He works through TrueResults. Anyone else using him or them?

Hi! I get banded on Tuesday. I had a very bad day today on my pre op diet. I caved and ate a piece of pizza. I am sure I am going to pay for it.

I am just so angry at myself. Grrr

I am flushing with LOTS of Water and getting right back on the horse starting. NOW.

Good luck to you!

I start my pre-op all liquid diet on Wednesday and get banded the 12th. Try to imagine 5 drawers in your desk at work and two of those drawers are FULL of food! My boss ran out of room in her space so she is using 2 of my drawers to keep her food supply in. Pre-op and two drawers of food, not a good combination. I've tried getting her to move it but she nearly bit my head off. Everyone eats at their desk so I guess when they all start eating lunch around me I will have to take my lunch break and leave the building. I might go to my van and watch a movie on my DVD player or read a book. I just know if I smell the food and I am hungry it is not going to be pretty.

Hi! I get banded on Tuesday. I had a very bad day today on my pre op diet. I caved and ate a piece of pizza. I am sure I am going to pay for it.

I am just so angry at myself. Grrr

I am flushing with LOTS of Water and getting right back on the horse starting. NOW.

Good luck to you!

Hey Gigi,

Don't beat yourself up over a piece of pizza, if surgery is on Tuesday, look how far you've come. Don't sweat it. I get banded on Wednesday and really, if a piece of pizza had been in my house last night I probably would have eaten it too!!:thumbup:

My surgery is on Wednesday - we've almost made it over that first hurdle "The Dreaded Pre-OP". Good luck on Tuesday.

Katie

Where are you being banded? I'm in W-S and going to Baptist Hosp. and seeing Dr. Fernandez. My date is May 4 and am ready to go.:thumbdown:

Mine's at Wesly Long in Gboro. My doc is Dr. Hoxworth with Central Carolina Surgery.

My two-week pre-op diet starts Wednesday, but I decided to start today. I'd been easing into it lately replacing meals with Protein Shakes, but I'd been having a lot of trouble at night. Tonight's going better, had my shakes today, a bar, and a light meal before 7pm. Definitely a bit hungry now, but my pre-surgery consult is tomorrow and I just want to get going with this. Think the excitement is propping me up at this point, so I'll go with it.

Not sure if anyone else has done this, but I bought a bottle of liver cleanse yesterday when I was stocking up on Protein Powder. It's a two week regimen, which is good timing, but for all I know it's just snake oil. I guess I'm thinking that may aid the diet in shrinking my liver for surgery.

Anyway, just wanted to check in with the other May bandsters. If anyone wants to compare notes on their pre-op diet hunger pains, post away or PM me, I could use the support! Only 16 days away...hard to believe....

My date has now been set for May 19. I am really ready for this. My pr-op diet has been going well as long as I do not go out. Just stay home and the temptations are not there.

Wow -there are a lot of May 19th dates on here - me being one of them, so I guess alot of us start tomorrow on our pre op liquid diet - I do and I am looking forward to not eatting for awhile - tomorrow starts my new life and I can't wait! Good luck to you all!!!!

Hi Ladies!

Just got Insurance approval...and now surgery is scheduled for May 21st!! I see my surgeon tomorrow for my pre-op appointment and start on my liquid diet!

Is anyone on the Facebook support group called 'lap band divias'?