Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for May Bandsters

Thank you so much for your post! It is exactly what I'm going through, just a week later into it.

I woke up today telling myself I would do better, and I have. I didn't really do BAD yesterday, just didn't follow the "only meal replacement" edict for the first two weeks.

Anyways, I made notes to myself about things I want to get done while I'm off work -- mini buckets -- mostly chores -- and started ticking items off. Working from home (limited), chores, posting (smile), and exercising have kept me busy so far. The list is long (and growing). This is my way of staying away from the TV, fridge and pantry! The commercials are too tempting!

Thank you so much for your post! It is exactly what I'm going through, just a week later into it.

I woke up today telling myself I would do better, and I have. I didn't really do BAD yesterday, just didn't follow the "only meal replacement" edict for the first two weeks.

Anyways, I made notes to myself about things I want to get done while I'm off work -- mini buckets -- mostly chores -- and started ticking items off. Working from home (limited), chores, posting (smile), and exercising have kept me busy so far. The list is long (and growing). This is my way of staying away from the TV, fridge and pantry! The commercials are too tempting!

I hear you. There's an old saying that if you don't want a haircut, don't hang around the barbershop. It's just tougher when the barbershop is your home, though, eh?:wink2:

I have been trying to keep myself more busy in the evenings, because that's typically when I overate. And I've been trying to spend less time on the couch, because that's where I overate. And finally, I've been trying to watch less TV, because that's what I did when I was overeating.

Especially the food shows - I love to watch them, but right now they just trigger me. I really have had to cut them out of my television diet.

The funny thing about all of this is that it's all healthy - less food, less tv, and less sloth. None of us are going to be sitting on our death beds thinking "I wish I'd overeaten more, or spent more time on the couch, or watched more TV!" So this band, and the habits we change to help our success, are all good ones that will lead to us being more active, and to ultimately enjoying life more.

It's not going to happen overnight, and I'm trying to not put too much pressure on myself. Change is hard. But slowly we can change our habits and use this tool to help us do more productive things with our time, our bodies, and our lives.

Good luck while you are home - you'll probably be happy to be back at work, because you'll have the routine and not so much free time on your hands! Congrats again on the band and keep up the good work - progress, not perfection....:biggrin:

Amen to that! I went to see Sex and the City yesterday and walked the outside mall before the movie to get some extra exercise. The popcorn smelled good but I had a Water. I was gone from home for about 4 hours which was a nice break. Gonna plan something every day for about that now that I know I have the strength to do it. No real cheating yesterday, no pain and lots of walking. Have a great day everybody!

Had my post-op with the surgeon today, 15 days post surgery. Everything healing fine, and I'm down about 13 lbs since surgery and almost 30 lbs since the beginning of May (keep in mind I started at 360, and went from my normal heavy diet to 600-900 calories a day). So that's good.

I won't have my first fill for another 5 weeks, and I've been cleared to eat soft (but real) foods. I've also been told that with a larger band that I have, it might take many fills until I hit my sweet spot. So this should be interesting.

In some ways I really like the Protein Shakes and Soups, it simplifies everything. I don't have to worry about liking it, I look at it more like a job. And I feel great - I may still be 330 or so lbs, but I'm moving better and I have more energy than I have had in years.

So I guess I'm really hoping that this next month or so I can find a way to eat real food and try to listen to my body and not my head. I've spent a lifetime eating until I felt stuffed, and now I have to learn what "full" really is. I also have to up my exercise now that I'm feeling mostly healed. That combo will hopefully keep me losing weight at some rate (if not as fast as I have) until my fill.

My nutritionist gave me two book recommendations: "Intuitive Eating" and "The Seven Secrets of Slim People". She said didn't care for the title of the last one, but both apparently have practical advice about reorienting yourself with regard to food. Thought I'd pass that along.

Ok, long message, I'm rambling. Just hoping everyone is doing well - if you are, post a message, I'd like to hear from you. If you aren't, post a message too, we'll commiserate. If I know one thing it's that we can't do this alone....:Dancing_biggrin:

Well said, ACP, and congratulations on your success. I'm sure given your outlook and drive it will continue.

I was always a fast, "on your feet" eater -- ate in the car, standing up, at my desk and practically devoured the food whole rather than take time to chew, enjoy and let it settle. I agree with you, changing your mind is a big big part of this great journey we have chosen :-).

I was banded May 25 and feel really good! I am having one very frustrating situation, got sick, like sore throat/flu thing. I was concerned about internal infection but it turns out I just was sick.

I am now starting to really look at exercising. I have NEVER been a runner even though I was an athlete in high school. I think walking/jogging/running is going to be my thing though now.

I was banded May 25 and feel really good! I am having one very frustrating situation, got sick, like sore throat/flu thing. I was concerned about internal infection but it turns out I just was sick.

I am now starting to really look at exercising. I have NEVER been a runner even though I was an athlete in high school. I think walking/jogging/running is going to be my thing though now.

Good for you semarks71, glad to hear you are doing well and I hope you're feeling better.

I am also feeling really good, and one of the biggest factors in that is exercise. I'm not going crazy or anything, but I'm getting to the gym and doing the elliptical 3-4 times a week for 30-40 minutes. I really recommend it - it's low impact so you don't put a ton of stress on your joints, but it gets the heart going and really works muscles if you push yourself. I use "interval" mode, where you go really hard (with lots of resistance) for 2 minutes, then you recover for 2 minutes with less resistance.

It's a good exercise for the recovery phase too - I really want to do more strength training, but I'm waiting a couple more weeks until I'm sure I'm completely healed to do that.

The other thing about exercise is I can incorporate more calories into my diet and still keep losing weight. I moved from liquids to soft foods and so my calories went from the 800/day to around 1300/day, but my pace of weight loss has continued.

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm just amazed at how good it feels not to be a slave to food, to feel more energy and to feel more active in general. I'm not perfect, and I'm not sure I've figured out my band yet, but I know that I made the right decision and I just feel...hopeful. Hope you do too, let's keep this thing going:smile2:

Hi all! I only just found the May Magnificents! I've been on the site a couple of weeks and am VERY excited to have found a group for May.

It looks like everyone lost interest in June.

STOP IT! I know things get crazy with our lives, but we really need to stay connected to others in the same boat.

I was banded May 6th by Dr. Atkinson in Las

Vegas. I live in AZ, so it's a bit of a drive to get my fills. I go Tuesday for my 3rd fill. I don't feel a lot of restriction currently, but am trying to maintain my 4oz meals 3x daily plus a shake to get my 90g of Protein in. The Water is always the hard part.

Look forward to hearing how you all are doing...

Hi Murpel... I was banded 5/13 and stopped posting on this thread when everyone else did. I am glad to be back. I need the support and don't realize how much until I stop comming to this site. I had my 4th fill on Mon. and so far it is the magic fill. I have been full on my 1/2 to 3/4 cup every meal and stay full until my next meal. That has not happened for me yet and my numbers on the scale have reflected that. I am only down 25lbs since my surgery and about 38lbs from before surgery. I have lost every week but very small amounts and I am looking forward to the weight that's about to come off now that I have a good fill. I really need to get my butt to the gym. I have a membership but, I am out of my routine (with it being summer) and have only made it 4 times in the last 2 months. :rolleyes: I have been swimming with my kids and walking... even biking occasionally but I am not consistent. I will be back to my routine once school starts up again. (21/2 wks) thank goodness!! Thanks for posting. It was a good reminder for me to get back to this site and others who can help and motivate. - Jill

I'm glad I was of help! It actually sounds as if you have it under control, you just need the chance to get organized and focused. Losing a little at a time is the way of the band, so that's a good thing. The exercise, it sounds as if you are at least moving. I am only working right now. I find that I stall frequently, then lose 2 to 4 lbs in a day. Crazyness! It keeps me going though, so I am not complaining!

Thanks for getting back on track all you May bandsters! I think the farther I get out of surgery the harder it becomes. I tend to lose some of that rigidness and can become softer in following the rules. Listening to your stories/successes/struggles help me out tremendously. After all, we are all going on this journey together.

I, myself, just had a 1 pound weight gain following vacation. I could look at it as a failure that I didn't lose weight but I can also look at it as it could have been a lot worse. Back in the day, I would have had the mindset that I could eat anything because I was on vacation. I didn't this time, or rather, I couldn't. Did I make the best choices? No, not 100% of the time but I did make much better choices than I would have had I not been banded.

Thanks to y'all for your support....

Katie

Vacations are NOT times for losing weight, they are for getting away from every day struggles. It's ok. You are home and working again...

I'm hanging in there, still slowly losing weight, had the most painful fill yet, and am still trying to hang in there.

(I absolutly won't let the Dr. do my fill again!) PA's Rock!

How is everyone else doing?

Everything is going fine I guess. I am trying to not fall into the trap of wanting all my weight off overnight. I have to work hard to not assume if the scale doesn't reflect all the hard work I am doing immediately then the band is failing or I am failing the band. I have to look at all the other positive changes I have made....going to the gym 4-5 days a week, fitting into clothes now that were impossible for me to fit in for the last few years, having more energy. The weight will eventually come off but it is a slow journey. I guess I need to just keep that in mind and work on my patience. It took me a LONG time to get to the weight I was, I can't expect to wake up thin and in perfect shape.

Hope all is well with you....:redface: Katie

Good weeks and bad weeks would be my description. I get another fill today and I will be very close (I think/hope/pray). Overall, slow and steady.

Nice to see everyone's posts and accomplishments. Way to go May!!!

:redface:

I was banded on 05/13, with a 10cc band, and am wondering where others are at with fill. I am currently at 3 1/2, and not having much restriction at this point. I can pretty much eat anything I want, and consiously have to stop myself from eating more than a cup of food...I don't get full, which is one of the reasons I got he band. I have lost 27 pounds so far, but the last 10 have been very, very slow, and I have to work out hard, and hour at a time, several times a week to get a 1/2 pound a week loss...and I'm eating healthy, for the most part. I go in on the 18th of this month for my next fill. Im thinking my PA has been awfully conservative about how much fill I get.