Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any August 2010 Bandsters?

Jen- I hear ya. I've told most family members... And I really don't want to keep it a "secret".... But, come on... I work with 98% women! Women talk.. We're the worst! LOL. I teach spec ed, and I have 2 assistants... So I feel I will have to tell them.. I am also thinking I will tell the school nurse........ Beyond that.. I may just tell as people ask.. And go from there. I am proud of my decision- not ashamed of it.... But I don't want to be the focus of back to school inservice either! :cursing:

Ddow: I have to do the pre-made EAS shakes... Wish I had some advice!

This is a big question for me. I am a teacher too and the last thing I want is all the attention on me and not the programs and things that I am working on at work. I decided not to tell everyone, however, I have a very close group of three other friends there at work and how I will slip it past them...honestly they are going to know something is up. So then the big question is, "Once one person knows, is everyone going to know?" I don't want to come across as dishonest. I am stuck on this question too.

Hi Jen, I feel you . I decided not to tell anyone except my DH and I told 3 good friends. I also told my Cousin , 1 of my Sisters and 2 nieces all of whom live out of town

I am not normally a secretive person but I really didn't want to hear all the "friend of a friend" stories and people not even understanding what lap band is .

At this point I know I told 1 person too many. One of my friends is the type that feels she has to tell her Dh everything so that's already at least 1 person that knows that I don't want to know. He would never say anything to me but he's the type that is small anyway but decides he wants to lose weight so he just fasts and that works for him. So I'm sure he doesn't understand why I made this choice.

I have decided that here is where I really grow up (I'm 55!!) I'm not a person that can easily look at someone and say "oh,I'm just dieting and exercising" but if a person asks me that I'm not close to I don't feel like I have to share my personal business or decision and I will tell them that. I will probably say I worked hard at dieting and exercising which is true.

If someone asks me that I'm close to or who really needs help I'm sure I will most likely share with them what I did on a need to know basis.

I'm in a somewhat small community so I'm sure at least 1 year out it will be common knowledge but here is where I take my Star Jones moment and feel (hopefully) this will be the best thing I ever did , but I don't want to be the poster child for lap band surgery.

In other words I guess I'm saying , yes once you tell one person most likely your private business will get out.

They have their good friends that they whisper to so eventually I suspect everyone will know or guess especially when they see you lose and not regain.

Edited by msdv

Hey yall,

Finally got my surgery date -August 13th. :w00t: I was on pins and needles the last coupla weeks. Ended up calling my insurance to see what the hold up was. They told me that I was approved on the 28th. Starting my pre-op diet on Monday- Atkins type diet. 2 shakes and 2 high Protein, veggies, low-0 carb meals. So glad that it is finally starting. I'm a teacher and I wanted to make sure I got this done before the kiddos came back on the 23rd. Going to be setting up my class before surgery. I have a very close friend on my team-- I'm a kinder teacher, so she knows. I am also going to tell my principal that I am having surgery. She seems to hold secrets very well. Just want to make sure that everything is going well. Already know of two coworkers that had negative things to say about people who have bariatric surgery. Needless to say, they won't be on my list for sharing my news. :rolleyes2: Good luck to everyone on their journey. Looking forward to sharing successes and any other info with you all. This forum was one of the main reasons why I decided to go this route. :w00t:

As far as appearing dishonest, not really worried about that. It really is my business and all people need to know is that I am losing weight and getting healthy. Being pre-diabetic with high cholestrol is no laughing matter. This is how I choose to take control of my health issues. What a lot of people don't realize is that you still have to commit to a healthy lifestyle and this was a very informed decision for me.

August 17th for me toooo....can't wait!!

Well I did make it to the night before my surgery and only my husband, 2 children and one close friend know. They were the only ones I planned on telling and so now I have done that.

I will say that it was good for me to do it that way. I needed to do this for me and be clear in the head and not have everyone else's thoughts pouring into my head.

For the future, I don't know. I think the biggest hurdle was getting through the surgery and now I know I will do it tomorrow without anyone holding me back.

My only other hurdle is work. I really don't want the people there to know, but then what do you do when three people at work are you closest friends? Again, something to think about.

I don't feel guilt about it anymore. I feel like I took control and did it my own way.

So that's it for now...as for shakes, the vanilla ones make me barf too!

I'll let you know how the surgery was as soon as I'm up to it!

Hi Everyone...I am being banded on the 23rd. I'm self pay so I didn't have to go through the hoops that the insurance companies send everyone through (although my dad's insurance has an exception so I wouldn't have been covered by them regardless.) I am really excited and nervous.

I started my liquid diet on Monday and I'm not finding it hard to drink the many shakes a day but I've been getting really bad gas pain from the slim-fast shakes. Is anyone else having this problem? I work with little children at a day camp so I am constantly running around and out in the sun...

Oh, and for those of you who are on Protein shakes and don't like the flavor...I just tried the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury brand Protein shake (chicken Soup flavor). It is so good and it doesn't taste like a shake at all. I've heard from people the other ones they make are good too, including a non-flavor one so you can mix it with anything you like. (unjury.com if you are interested)

To those being banded tomorrow (the 13th)...I wish you all well! :thumbup:

Hi All,

I love this site and the information and support that everyone gives. I started this journey in January. I had Cigna and they required I do a 6 month diet and see my doctor every month. I was due to be finished that in August so I was looking at getting banded in Sept or Oct. My company decided to change insurance and the new company doesn't require a 6 month diet so I GOT MY DATE :wink2:. Prayerfully I will be banded August 31st. I still have appointments I have to go to and a 4 hour class. Because I didn't know the surgery was going to be this soon I am starting to get really nervous. I know this is something that needs to be done. I have HBP, my knees hurt and I'm always tired. I broke my ankle in March of 2009 and I am sure that I wouldn't have as much pain if I didn't have all of the excess weight. I applaud everyone for taking this step to improve your health and I'm glad there is a large support group out there. :)