Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you believe in a god or gods?

Is there a god  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is there a god

• You bet!
    • Yes, but I don't asssociate with an organized religion
    • There may be, I don't care
    • Nope, nada, no way!

patty: "It doesn't matter who bjean was speaking to, because it's not true. That is not found anywhere in the bible. I believe bjean made that up.

Besides, I'm sure bjean was not speaking about you, for you are very soft spoken and gentle with your words."

Sorry patty, it is there. Don't accuse me of making something up just because you are ignorant of it. It is not something any religion I know dwells on and in fact, many seem to ignore it because of the passages about witnessing that they wholeheartedly embrace because it goes to perpetuate their church. It is ignored because it goes against their hell, fire and brimstone manner of preaching and against the way they approach missionary work.

I wouldn't need to make it up because as we all know, there are contradictions throughout the Bible. And we believe what we are comfortable with and can accept to establish our faith. Obviously the very idea makes some people uncomfortable enough that they deny its' existence in the Bible. Go fish. It's your assignment for today.

I don't need to prove that what you say is true.....you do. If it's written in there, then show me and I will never speak loudly about my beliefs again. Contrary to what you say, I believe the bible teaches us to be loud and bold and strong when talking about God. It teaches us not to be ashamed of him.

Isaiah 40:9 "O Zion, that bring good tidings, get you up into the high mountain; O Jerusalem, that bring good tidings, lift up your voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say to the cities of Judah, Behold your God!"

Acts 4:31 "And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spoke the word of God with boldness."

Acts 9:29 "And he spake boldly in the name of the Lord Jesus, and disputed against the Grecians: but they went about to slay him."

Phil. 1:4 "And many of the brethren in the Lord, waxing confident by my bonds, are much more bold to speak the word without fear."

Deut.27:14 "And the Levites shall speak, and say unto all the men of Israel with a loud voice..." (he goes on to give them God's words.)

Luke 17:15 "And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God."

2 Tim. 2:15 "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth."

2 tim. 1:8 "Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord or of me His prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God."

It also goes without saying that a Christian's actions should speak louder than words. I believe that my own actions would definitely speak louder than my words in my life, but here, on LBT, all you have are my words, without my actions. Therefore, I will speak loudly, boldly, unashamed and without regret or remorse for my words here. I am confident that what I say here is truthful. Sometimes others may not want to believe what I say, or disagree with my words, and that is their right, but it won't keep me from talking about God, and what he deems righteous. So, bjean, we are supposed to speak loudly about God, as well as live righteously before him. (our actions)

I too believe in the one and only living God who has so much love for us that he sent his son Jesus to die on the cross for all of us...even those that don't believe in him. We all have been given freewill to accept him or not (another show of how much God loves us). I too would love to know where in the bible it says

"He also tells us that we shouldn't speak about our beliefs loudly to others."

The bible I read says that as children of God and Disciples of Jesus Christ we are to "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature" (Matthew 16:15).

Ok girls, I'll go find it for you. First chance I get. It was sent to me from a friend a few years ago and I've forgotten the exact book and verse. Even if it takes me a while, I'll find it. I knew when I posted it that some of you wouldn't believe it since it goes against everything you've been taught.

Ok girls, I'll go find it for you. First chance I get. It was sent to me from a friend a few years ago and I've forgotten the exact book and verse. Even if it takes me a while, I'll find it. I knew when I posted it that some of you wouldn't believe it since it goes against everything you've been taught.

BJean, could this be what you are looking for?

(5)”And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. (6)But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. (7)And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. (8)Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. – Matthew 6.5-8 NASB

Well thanks Cleo's! That's not it, but it'll do in a pinch. The one I was referring to actually addresses the time when you speak to others about God, meaning that you should speak softly, not in a loud and brash way.

That scripture is about praying to be 'recognized' or seen as a 'godly' person rather than praying to simply just talk to God privately. God doesn't want us to do things for our own recognition. He wants us to do things because it's right or because it glorifies him.

That doesn't have anything to do with speaking loudly about God or your faith. Try again.

Trust me, it is even harder for some of us to understand how anyone can believe in a god and we are far from hopeless. We live one day at a time and don't get stressed out about whether or not we are going to a good or bad place for eternity.

We take responsibility for our actions and decide for ourselves what is right and what is wrong.

But the best thing is, we sleep in on Sundays without guilt. :confused:

Amen!

LOL

I have lots of reasons for not believing in God or religion.

In no particular order.

1. Religious differences have been the cause of most major wars.

2. Many people have been persecuted or killed in the name of religion.

3. Bad things happen to good people.

4. Bad things still happen whether you believe and pray or not.

5.I know the difference between what is right and what is wrong and can choose the right way because it is the right thing to do not because I am scared of what may or may not happen to me once I die.

6. There is so much pain and suffering in the world that if there is a god either:-

a) he is powerless and unable to prevent this so why worship him

or

:confused: he sees and allows it to happen anyway so again why worship him.

7.Churches have far too much money they don't need mine too. I would rather support a charity of my own choice than donate money to a wealthy organisation to invest in more art and real estate.

There are more reasons but that is enough for now.

Having said that though I can see the value in religion for a lot of people.I think going to church is a great support network and sometimes I wish I believed just for this aspect!

Its also a great form of mind control for the masses!

Years ago a friend of mine read a book on ways to get rich. The final chapter was entitled how to got obscenely rich(or something similar). The answer was to buy a tent and start preaching. I wish I had acted on that as it does seem to work!

Please do not try to convert me - many have tried and failed!

elcee, you've left yourself wide open for conversion when you admitted that on some level you wish you believed.

I respect your views and I believe that there is certainly merit in what you and btreiger have to say on the subject.

elcee, you've left yourself wide open for conversion when you admitted that on some level you wish you believed

LOL. Not for the spiritual aspect. I think the quickest and easiest way of making new friends especially when you move to a new town is to join a church. The other way is to be a Mum of a young child.As your kids get older it gets harder to meet people and make new friends.

Now that's a fact. It's so much easier when your kids are in school and you're in contact with so many other parents.

It always seems to take me a couple of years to get to know people in a new town. But I learned that I have some card playing neighbors who are a blast and I am very happy in this particular neighborhood. Friends are very important to me. I've read that they are very important to most women. Once your nest is empty, I think they become even more important.

I have lots of reasons for not believing in God or religion.

In no particular order.

1. Religious differences have been the cause of most major wars.

Why should God be blamed for man not being able to get along? Because men fight with each other, God doesn't exist?

2. Many people have been persecuted or killed in the name of religion.

And because man does stupid things, God couldn't possibly be real?

3. Bad things happen to good people.

And the rain pours on the just and the unjust. So what. This makes God not real?

4. Bad things still happen whether you believe and pray or not. God answers all prayers according to His will. Sometimes he says "yes" and sometimes "No" and sometimes "wait".

5.I know the difference between what is right and what is wrong and can choose the right way because it is the right thing to do not because I am scared of what may or may not happen to me once I die. Your eternal destination is not determined by your good or bad deeds. The only thing that determines heaven or hell for anyone is their faith in Jesus.

6. There is so much pain and suffering in the world that if there is a god either:-

a) he is powerless and unable to prevent this so why worship him

God is not powerless or unable to prevent pain and suffering. Pain and suffering happens because we are sinful human beings that are destined to die one day. He allows life, and the consequences and blessings that come with it, to happen because without pain and suffering who would need God or turn to him for Salvation?

or

:confused: he sees and allows it to happen anyway so again why worship him. God does see what happens to those who are suffering. He has promised relief for all eternity if you will but your faith and trust in Him.

7.Churches have far too much money they don't need mine too. I would rather support a charity of my own choice than donate money to a wealthy organisation to invest in more art and real estate. Giving to an organized religion,(church), is not a requirement to knowing God and believing in him. If you feel that churches have far too much money and they don't need yours, then don't attend one. You can have a relationship with God without belonging to a church. (Although I believe it is far better to get together occasionally with others who believe as you do)

There are more reasons but that is enough for now.

Having said that though I can see the value in religion for a lot of people.I think going to church is a great support network and sometimes I wish I believed just for this aspect!

Its also a great form of mind control for the masses! You can not have your mind controlled by anyone unless you allow it! My advice would be to stop listening to everyone else tell you about what God wants from you, and read it for yourself in the book He left us.

Years ago a friend of mine read a book on ways to get rich. The final chapter was entitled how to got obscenely rich(or something similar). The answer was to buy a tent and start preaching. I wish I had acted on that as it does seem to work! Those who give their money to preachers who are not using that money to advance God's kingdom or help those who are in need have only themselves to blame. Everyone who gives to anyone should check out where their money is going, because if they give blindly, they may be robbed blindly. The preacher and ministry that handles this money dishonestly or poorly will have to answer to God one day for their deeds. Because there are those out there who will use the preaching of the gospel to gain riches for themselves does not mean that God does not exist. It just means that mankind is sinfully wicked. The "riches" that we should try to obtain in this life are the spiritual "riches" that come from knowing Jesus.

Please do not try to convert me - many have tried and failed!

Fair enough. I wont try to convert you.