Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Angry at my thyroid

I just needed to vent. Anyone else have this problem? I went to my endo and my thyroid was just .2 too low since I had lost a bunch of weight so she readjusted my meds...and I went from losing steadily without much problem, to STRUGGLING to not gain on 1000 calories and under...sooo irritating. I'm also sleeping longer again and more exhausted throughout the day, crabby and more depressed...

Anyone else only function on the very low end of TSH levels? :)

If your TSH was low, then your thyroid levels were too high. Hyperthyroid can be dangerous. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Rapid heartbeat (resting pulse was 120), twitching muscles, shaking limbs, foggy brain, racing thoughts, can't sleep....

But being hypothyroid is no fun either. I think that is where I am at right now.

I don't have a thyroid any longer as mine was overproducing hormones and would not shut off, so I had to have it radiated. Now I have to take meds daily, and I think I need to have it upped.

My PCP tends to just treat the numbers on the tests. I was a little low, so he adjusted me up to barely get into the normal range, but I still have hypo symptoms. So I have an appointment with my Endo in March. I am hoping to convince him to treat ME and not my test results and bump my dosage up.

Test results have a normal RANGE! But it seems so many docs don't want to invest the time in tweaking the dosage to get us to where we feel well and are happy.

OK, my rant is over.

But I am right there with you!

Funny you should mention this. Just yesterday I seen my PCP- he asked me who was treating my thyroid. I said "i didn't know there was a problem w/ my thyroid." My t3 & t4 levels are elevated (so opposite of yours), not sure bout my TSH. Ive been cranky, sleeping more, & unmotivated. So we are checking it again in a couple of weeks.

What I find funny, the lab he was looking at was my PRE-OP labs from March of 2009!!!! He is just now addressing it? WTH! I've been to his office like 4-5 times since then.

However, .2 seems alittle silly to me to jump u on meds. Maybe do a repeat lab in a few weeks? Could be an error?

Good luck! let me know how everything turns out for ya!

Yeah, if you were feeling fine it seems they should have done the test first before changing the meds. If you had hyper symptoms, I could seem adjusting them down a bit then doing the test again in a few weeks.

Again, treating the numbers and not the patient. ggrrrrr!!

Before I had the radiation treatment I made the endo promise to base my doseage on ME and not just the labs, but I had to agree that he would keep them within the normal range. But I left that medical group for a bit. Now I am back with that group and it is that Endo I am seeing in March. Thus I am hopeful he will bump me up and get me to the high end of normal rather than the low end where my PCP has me now.

I have been on a huge weight plateau. But I am happy where I am at weight-wise and not too concerned. But if I can get the metabolism going a bit more, maybe I can knock off these last few pounds!

Best wishes!

I've had thyroid problems for years - my PCP has a standing order at the lab for me to test every 6 months. I suggest anyone having challenges to do the same to get a good read over time.

Well I am hypothyroid. But I've been on meds for about 2 years now. However I had been at 88 mcg's for a long time. But during that time I lost about 30lbs. So when they did a recheck I was in the HYPERthyroid range...however I felt amazing for once, hypo symptoms were gone and I had no racing heartbeats or other hyper symptoms (in fact I was actually losing weight-instead of only maintaining on 1000 calories a day). However due to the TSH number she lowered my levothyroxine dose to 75 mcg's. I believe I was at .19 for TSH. and .3-3.0 is the range...I'm just wondering how much my levels have risen again because I'm struggling to maintain weight right now. It's irritating.

I've been hypo for a long time, and my TSH level NEVER reflected how I felt. Mine is very very low, and I still have many hypo symptoms. Depression and lethargy are at their worst right now. My PCP finally upped mine a bit just this week, even though I had to beg her...so I hope it helps. When she checked my reflexes I had NONE, so that convinced her.

Sometimes you have to shop around for a doctor who will treat you instead of the numbers.

Oh, I forgot to add that a small addition of Cytomel can help if you don't feel good when your TSH is at the "normal" levels. It's another component of thryoid, T3, and can really make a difference.