Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any GOOD fish recipes?

Hi All!

I'm not a fish eater as a general rule; however, I know that I need to start eating fish to be healthier. The problem is that I have tried to make baked fish at home on several occasions and man has it turned out BAD! I've had baked whitefish in restaraunts that's pretty good, I just don't seem to be able to prepare it at home.

If anyone has any good recipes for any type of baked fish that doesn't taste "fishy" I'd be very happy to try them!

Thanks!! :mad:

If you are okay with shrimp, then I can give you a simple three step less than 30 minute shrimp and rice recipe. Let me know how you are with shrimp, so I'll know if I need to post it or not.

what type of fish are you using? you might want to try a mild fish like sole or white fish. You must be overcooking it. Fillets only take about 15 to 20 mins in a 350 oven. Try using a foil wrap for your fish. Add salt pepper and a tiny bit of olive oil a squeeze of lemon juice and your golden.

Bake some tilapia in the oven with some spices, (salt, pepper whatever you usually use). While it's cooking dice up some cantaloupe, and cilantro. Squeeze some lime over it to make a sauce. Add it over the tilapia after it's done. Delish!!!

3-5 minutes on the Foreman grill with a little lemon and fresh spices sprinkled/squeezed on top. Not banded yet, but I LOVE fish!

Brinabrina77-

I would love the shrimp recipe if you don't mind posting it. Thanks!

Chilean Sea Bass marinated in low sodium terriyaki sauce is delicious and easy...just bake it in oven at 350 for approx 15-20 mins. DELISH!

Salmon wrapped in tin foil with some olive oil, dill weed and lemon juice, 15-20 or so min (depending on size and thinkness) on 350 Yummy

Simple Shrimp Scampi and Rice Recipe:

Ingredients:

I normally buy everything at our Super Walmart due to the price and convenienc.

-1 box of Gordon Fisherman's Garlic Shrimp Scampi (NOT the lemon shrimp scampi)

-1 bag of cooked, SMALL, peeled, deveined shrimp, with tail off (the small shrimp have about 100-150 per bag, but you can use whatever size you want or use fresh, raw, shrimp. Just ensure that you cook all seafood until it is done!!! We are bansters, and we shouldn't be puking..especially from any seafood related illness)

-2-3 cups cooked rice. Ladies, if you do not own a rice cooker...go and get one. I usually use my rice cooker and make this with jasmine (NOT jasmati) rice. Jasmine is a fragrant rice and smells soooo good cooking.

-Garlic powder (optional)

Directions:

Lightly grease a skillet. Saute Gordon's shrimp in a skillet until done. Add rinsed shrimp to Sauted gordon's shrimp. (Shrimp is frozen when I buy it from walmart. So I rinse the shrimp under warm Water to thaw them. They are already cooked). Stir well so that scampi sauce covers all shrimp. You can add garlic powder if you wish.

Add the cooked/sauteed shrimp to your cooked rice. Mix well. Enjoy.

*Poof* You are done.

Note: I will cook like Paula Deen for everyone else, but when i cook for myself the meals are quick and simple as demonstrated by this recipe. The reason I mix plain shrimp with the Gordon's shrimp scampi is becasue the Gordon's shrimp has only about 10-12 shrimp. I add the small shrimp becasue it gives me a ton of shrimp. They may be tiny shrimp, but they are Protein. And since they are tiny, that is even less chewing for me. Once you cook the Gordon's shrimp, it sauces very well and seasons both the rice and added shrimp. When I reheat, I normally put a small portion in a bowl, add butter, and microwave.

Tish -

Do you have Kroger's in Noblesville (I have a cousin in Carmel, but I can't remember if I've seen a Kroger's in your area). Anyway, their Private Selection brand of fish (like the potato crusted cod, and their parmesan crusted tilapia), is very good. You just bake them for about 1/2 hour and not fishy at all.

I was not a fish eater either, but for some reason, I almost crave the stuff now that I'm banded. You may want to give them a try.

Thanks so much you guys ROCK! Thanks too for the shrimp recipes, I do like shrimp. Can't wait to try some of these!!!

I've been preparing a simple salmon. Salt and pepper, and I actually fry it in light olive oil, not alot, for about 2-4 min on each side. Then I make some high Protein spaghetti noodles, mix it with a little olive oil, parsley, pepper, capers, lemon juice. I then take some spinach leaves and place it on the plate, followed, by the noodles and fish. My husband loves it!

Here is a thread with lots of Tilapia recipes. http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f82/need-talipia-recipe-32004/

I find tilapia to be really good. I'm not a fan of salmon or other "fishy" fishes. The milder the better for me! lol

If I recall correctly, I posted in this thread a recipe for fish tacos that is oh so yummy and nutritious too.

I am exactly the same way--not a huge fish eater, and do not like the "fishy taste" if I do eat fish. Here is a link to a couple of recipes that I liked:

http://www.lap-band-surgery-site.com/weight-loss-surgery-recipes.html

Also in the store--I picked up a grill marinade where you just add oil and marinate the fish--So good!:confused:

Thank you all so much. I can't wait to get to the store and buy the items needed to try some of these. I'm especially excited about the shrimp recipes - I do really enjoy shrimp. I too use the Super Wal-Mart because the prices are hard to beat. :thumbup:

ALMOST MADE IT TO ONEDERLAND!

weight.png